“A very pleasant stay and lovely staff”
Review of Loughshore Hotel

Loughshore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Carrickfergus
Reviewed April 29, 2009

I stayed at the Clarion hotel for 2 nights on a weekend deal. There were three of us with me in one room and the other two in another room. The reservation staff were very helpful in booking and accomodated all our needs.

Check-in was a breeze and the rooms were lovely, plenty of space. The views are not good and this isnt the place to stay for the the beauty of the location - it is on a busy road. However, the hotel is very comfortable and there was no noise in the room. I read other reviews talking about noise from the nightclub - I was there on a Friday and Saturday night and it was as quiet as a mouse, although the hotel was busy. The hotel is located on the edge of Carrickfergus - you can walk to the centre easily, or walk along the shore, which is lovely. You are also a very short drive into Belfast. The free parking is a bonus at the hotel too.

The room has a bathroom with bath, over-bath shower, heated towel rail etc, and the room had a TV, good selection of channels, and all the other nexessaries, including tea and coffee making facilities. There was no fridge/mini-bar which was a shame. There was a drinks machine in the corridor though. There is wi-fi in the room, but it costs £10 for 24 hours. This is not very competitive and a lot of business people use the hotel.

There is a Salon attached to the hotel (private) who provide all the usual and some treatments (massage, indian head massage etc). The rates are competitive and the service was just fantastic. Very personal and accomodated everyone's needs. I would highly recommend it.

We had a meal in the hotel on one of the nights and it was very good. The restaurant was really busy and all the food was cooked fresh to order, which meant a bit of a wait. However, I dont mind waiting for food if it is good. Breakfast was lovely, and very relaxed, as it should be. On the other night we walked 2 minutes up the road to the Indian Restaurant which was just fantastic and very reasonably priced. There are plenty of nice restaurants closeby.

This was my second time at the Clarion, the first time being there for business. I would certainly return and really enjoyed my stay. Apart from a fridge in the room and free wifi, I cant think of anything else they need to have to make the hotel better.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Loughshore Hotel

Reviewed February 28, 2009

I Flew into Belfast City Airport and simply followed the signs for the North then Carrickfergus, This place is slightly outside Belfast City Centre so its easy to get too and park. Seems to be popular for Business Conferences.

Went for a walk into Carrickfergus and had a few pints. Would probbaly think about coming back for a Belfast City break.

A friend somehow managed to get a suite, very nice with Jacuzzi and 42 inch screen TV, probably worht the upgrade (room 401 i think).

Breakfast was good and all the staff, particularly at reception were good.

Cant really think of any downsides, apart from the fact that it isnt in the City Centre

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed August 26, 2008

NOTE: I have not stayed in this hotel as an overnight guest.

We were looking for a place to hold a special family celebration, and booked the Clarion. Because of other reviews on Tripadvisor, we did so with some trepidation, but we went ahead anyway, because no other place we looked at met our requirements.

We found Lily very helpful, friendly, and professional in making the arrangements, and the evening itself went very well.

The guests all agreed that the food was good. (In my opinion, the food was not quite as good as the food in the hotel restaurant - which is very good - but it was still very acceptable.)

The service was excellent - each course in the meal arrived just when we were ready for it.

The staff we dealt with on the night were all very pleasant and helpful.

The room was fine. (We used the Annex Room. There are at least two other function rooms, which means that the hotel can run several functions at the same time - which obviously means that guests at different functions will encounter each other in the corridors, bathrooms, etc. - which might not always be ideal.)

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank silver1600
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We were visiting family living in Carrickfergus and chose the Clarion Hotel after reading the reviews on TA . We stayed with my parents and our 11 year old daughter. We were given a' triple' room, which was exactly the same as my parents 'double' room except ours had the extra 'put me up bed'. The kettle in our room did not work, but was immediately exchanged with a new one. The 2nd bed was a very poor put me up bed and after our daughter suffered a sleepless night we complained, although the hotel staff were very apologetic there was nothing they could do due to the fact that the hotel was full. For the remaining 3 nights our daughter slept in our bed (luckily it was a large king size bed!). The room was of ample size with a nice bathroom, both of which were very clean. The breakfast and evening meals could not be faulted. The staff were extremely helpful, friendly and polite. This more than made up for the little quibbles we had. Overall our stay at the Clarion was very enjoyable and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank gaynor p
Reviewed June 14, 2008

Stayed 4 nights here on a breakfast/dinner package deal with a tour company. The hotel was very clean and the food of a high standard.
However I found the bedroom too hot and when windows were opened there was much traffic noise from the adjacent main road. The location is great - 5 to 10 minutes to a cinema, fast food outlets, restaurants etc. The town itself is pleasant featuring a castle and marina. I have not awarded five points as I felt service was occasionally lacking eg alarm calls not made when requested, haphazard serving of dishes at the evening meal. All in all though I would recommend the hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed June 12, 2008

I was staying here as I was on business in the area. The hotel is clean, upkeep is good. The rooms are quite large, they have all the basics and are more than comfortable for a couple of nights. The hotel's amenities are limited. There are a couple of bars that serve a limited menu and a more extensive restaurant. The breakfast was good and the staff very friendly and helpful.

It is about a 15 minute walk to the centre of Carrickfergus which has a cinema and a few restaurants. There is a gym about 3 minutes walk away which guests of the hotel can use for about £5.

A good hotel but not really a holiday destination

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed May 31, 2008

I stayed here for several nights recently on a business trip. I am often in N. Ireland, and this is the best hotel I have experienced. Not so much in terms of opulence (although it is very comfortable), but with regard to comfort, cleanliness , efficiency and friendliness of staff.

Unlike many business hotels, the food was good and good value. There is competition which undoubtedly benefits the guest: in particular excellent Chinese and Indian restaurants a very short walk away, and both are excellent.

The location of the hotel is excellent, a very short drive from Carrickfergus castle and great views across the water. Don’t use this hotel however if a room with a great view is vital for you (there is demolition and redevelopment taking place on adjacent land).

I intend to make this hotel my main base for business trips to N. Ireland.

With regard to broadband charges – I enquired, and these are standard (i.e. very expensive 1 hour and 24 hour rates). As I have recently switched to a broadband portable ‘dongle’ this did not affect me. I had a good signal in my room, and pay only £10 per month!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrickfergus
Dobbins Inn Hotel
#13 of 44 in Belfast
Galgorm Resort & Spa
Galgorm Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Loughshore Hotel? Share your experiences!