“A lovely break”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Carrickfergus
Belfast, United Kingdom
“A lovely break”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Stayed for one night in March 2013 and found it to be a really lovely atmosphere. Rooms were nice and warm and cosy the only complaint I have is that the bathroom could do with a little bit of a makeover as around the bath/shower is a little grubby and there are those horrible shower curtains that cling to you. Staff were wonderful, helpful and friendly. We had a meal in the red pepper restaurant and it was excellent. Breakfast was also really good with lots of choice. I'm sure we will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Cookstown, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed with my wife on sat 16 march 2013 .Had previouly stayed whilst attending a function in the Hotel .Was shocked and find it hard to believe from previous reviewer that staff were RUDE this has never been our experience indeed the opposite .All the staff from receptionist, bar men /woman ,those working in restaurant ,house cleaning staff were more than friendly and courteous . We ate in the Red Pepper Restaurant and the food was amazing and the service was first class . My wife and i both decided on the special ,confit of duck followed by sirloin steak and dessert . normally my wife would take fish but she was tempted by the special menu and was so glad she took it .Breakfast the following morning was great .I requested poached eggs the we girl was more than helpful asking how many would you like sir can i get you any thing else . my wife and i were very impressed once again by all at the Clarion . we have a meeting in Belfast this sat 23 march 2013 and we have decided to stay once again at the Clarion . would highly recommend this Clarion Hotel to anyone . Tommy & Alleson Tyrone

Room Tip: we stayed in room 310 over looks main road but no noise as Hotel well back from main road
1 Thank Tommy M
Portadown, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife decided to eat at the Red Pepper Restaurant in the Clarion Hotel during our overnight stay in Carrickfergus. I can honestly say the ambience and food was amazing. My wife ordered tempura prawns and I ordered the chorizo risotto for starters. We had just started eating this when Victor, the manager came to our table with another starter. He explained that they had made a mistake and had served my wife duck spring rolls instead of the prawns but we could have the extra starter on the house.

My mains consisted of a perfectly cooked rare flame-grilled rib-eye steak with crispy garlic potatoes (not swimming in garlic butter), roasted vegetables and a beautiful homemade pepper sauce. My wife had flame-grilled rack of lamb with red onion chutney and creamy champ. The desserts were equally as good. The food and wine was very reasonably priced too.

All of the staff were very friendly and attentive which made for a most enjoyable dining experience. On leaving, Victor asked us if we would like him to order a taxi to take us back to our hotel.

I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough and we will definitely be making a return visit to the Red Pepper next time we’re in Carrickfergus.

1 Thank Wildtracker
belfast
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my mum sat 9th march, on arrival receptionist very nice,.welcoming. We had been upgraded but heat on room freezing, closed curtains and went to bar then In for our meal attended by victor who was attentive but who should be upselling on their set menu by offering sides as I had to ask. On going back to room it was still cold so went to reception who told us to pack and gave us choice of two honeymoom suites with jacuzzi, my 78yrs old mum loved it as did I, thank you so much. By the way really enjoyed music/karaoke. a staff great. Unfortunately breakfast not great although staff nice.would go back.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank lorrie3
Derry
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for one night due to business. The staff were helpful and professional. The bed-room was spacious and comfortable. The meal on first night wasn't warm, the plates were hotter. The breakfast and Sunday Carvery were excellent.

The major problem was that I discovered ants in the bathroom during my visit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Ironside69
kilrea
Reviewed March 11, 2013

i stayed here on saturday 9 March 2013 was badly disappointed hotel reception was spotless. we were on business n the conference room was lovely. but the bedroom lets us down decor dated. on inspection the bathroom was ideal for my wheelchair user partner seemed ok till we discovered ants infestation which my partner couldnt used the shower. next problem our dinner was late n served extremly cold on a warm plates. on a postive note breakfast was satisfactory n first class carvey at lunch time was yummy

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank annmarie220
Magherafelt, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

the room was good and comfortable. the only problem is that there is no stairs which is a safety concerned that most people don't look at the safety notices (me included). the breakfast was ok sausages were slightly undercooked and dry. the staff were friendly and helpful. i would return for the evening meal and say but not for the breakfast. A breakfast form a fast-food next door would be better. no pool sadly

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank neil r
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrickfergus
Premier Inn Carrickfergus Hotel
#1 of 6 in Ballymena
Ballygally Castle
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballygally

Been to Loughshore Hotel? Share your experiences!