“Lovely Hotel”
Review of Loughshore Hotel

Loughshore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Carrickfergus
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Stayed here with a colleague whilst on business, as he stays here on a regular basis he made me aware of the vast amount of weddings the Clarion does however we were upgraded to the executive rooms on the 4th floor to avoid the noise. 1st night no wedding so fairly quiet. Ample onsite parking, welcoming reception with friendly staff, good sized (executive) room with all the frills, large flat screen tv, comfortable bed etc. Food was a good choice of menu and good, quality meals. 2nd night we returned and there was a wedding on however it did not affect us as we ate out with clients and heard little to no noise (apart from outside the hotel where visitors were smoking). All in all a very nice, modern hotel with good food and pleasant rooms. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank kromeandtime
Stephen C, General Manager at Loughshore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Dear silver_bluemotion,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback of your recent stay with us at The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus. It is always pleasing to get such a positive well rounded review of all the facilities that we offer. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Clarion in the very near future.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We were attending a family wedding. On first appearance we thought that the hotel looked good, inside, reception and bar area are well presented, the staff attentive. After check in, went to the room and was quite disappointed initially with the general date look of the room and there was an awful fusty smell, and also 2 gaping fist size holes in the walls, we reported this to reception via the phone and were told that she would take note thast we were not to blame. Went down to reception and complained again because I found the initial response as poor to say the least, we were told that housekeeping would be sent to sort the smell out. On returning to the room later that evening, the smell was still present but I thought it too late to complain for a 3rd time so left it until the morning, when a different receptionist informed us that we should have at least been offered an alternative room, and she was sorry this never happened and if we should return again that we were to inform reception of our experience and we would be upgraded, but the damage is done and shall not be back.
On the food side the meal we had at the wedding reception was outstanding, service good and overall very happy. Breakfast is a different matter; starting at 0730 and running until 1030, we as a family went to have breakfast together at 0900, after being seated and told it was self service from the hotplate I was unhappy that the food under the lights seamed to have been there from 0730 and had started to dry up. Why can't it be cooked to order and add to the customer experience. I never asked if the chef would cook a fresh breakfast for us, so that is in defence of the hotel but it would have been nice to not have to do that.

Room Tip: ask for a rear facing room to avoid traffic noise

Dear AMark4534,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus. As with any hotel we are constantly updating and refurbishing all areas of the hotel. Over the last 18 months we have invested £500k in the Car Park, Restaurant and Kitchen whilst also refurbishing 47 of our 68 bedrooms so far. With the final floor due for completion in early 2013.

I am delighted that you had an overall good experience at your family wedding and I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Clarion in the near future.

Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here in September for my friends wedding. found staff to be friendly and helpful. rooms were basic but clean. breakfast was good with the usual fry and cereal on offer. location is good if you are looking to stay in Carrick but it is out of the way for Belfast. All in all I would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2012

Dear jmk79,

Thank you for your kind words of recommendation and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus in the very near future.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Firstly the positives....rooms excellent,clean,well furnished,lovely big comfy beds. Food great...self service breakfast..and lovely evening meals. Not in the best location...extremely noisy road outside and very hot rooms so had to keep the windows open...therefore not much sleep due to the traffic.An old building was bein demolished behind hotel so the view was none to great.The hotel is in a good spot for going into Belfast...train staion is near and it's much cheaper than taking the car into the city....staff ok but not overly friendly...housemaids always had a cheery hello though...

Room Tip: Try to get one as far away from the road as possible...

Dear Beattie,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus, I am delighted that you enjoyed the facilities we have to offer and I have shared your comments with all the staff. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Clarion in the near future.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

My new husband and I got married at the Clarion on Sept. 14th 2012. The hotel itself was fantastic, the food was amazing and every single one of our guests could not believe how well they were treated by the staff. The staff were unobtrusive, very slick, well mannered and efficient. but there is one man who stood out from the rest. Dave. He went above and beyond anybody's expectations, he even took 2 of our guests to the shop after hours in his own car to get cigars and when one of our vegetarian guests wished to change his meal from the set menu, it was no problem to Dave, who went himself and got it changed. And he even sang Karaoke, and kept the kids occupied with magic tricks too!

He kept everything running smoothly even after we got delayed by around an hour (our fault not the hotel's) and everything that was asked of him was done immediately, and sometimes before we had actually asked him!

The rooms were clean and tidy and quite spacious and the honeymoon suite was fantastic.

I have read some of the reviews on here and cannot believe that people had a bad time and said Dave was rude etc... We cannot fault anyone, or anything in the place and would quite happily recommend it for anything from a drink in the bar, to a wedding. We returned to the hotel the Sunday following our wedding for a carvery and have to say it was just as impressive as the wedding was. Food was great, atmosphere brilliant too!

So on behalf of every member of our families, (most of whom ended up staying the night because they were so impressed) thank you everyone at The Clarion Hotel :)

5 stars folks, don't listen to the moaners! :)

2  Thank Emma R

Dear EmmaR,

Thank you for your lovely review of The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus. It is always so pleasing when we have been able to exceed someones expectations! I have passed your kind words on to David and the rest of the team.

I hope we get to see you back at The Clarion very soon.

Warmest regrads and best wishes for your future life together.

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Absolutely an amazing reception at clarion for our special day really really good quality hotel thanks to the staff and management of the clarion for ensuring everything ran so smooth! Live close by but will definately be frequenting again for stay and food

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Gmccotter85

Dear Gmccotter85,

I am so pleased that you had an amazing experience on your wedding day at The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus. I have passed your lovely comments on to the rest of the team at the hotel.

I hope we get to welcome you back to The Clarion in the very near future.

Kind Regards and best wishes for your future life together.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

my wife and i got married here on the 12th of june 2012 we chose this hotel because of the lady in charge of wedding bookings and we where sorely dissapointed. the day before the wedding we drove from magherafelt to pay the outstanding balance we paid the deposit oct 2011. we where then told that they could not accept a cheque at 2 30 that afternoon at 6 30 we received a call from the clarion to tell us that a bus tour had been double booked due to a computer error and all our guests had to move to a budget hotel, me and my wife argued and wasted our time on the phone for three hours with family waiting to congratulate us. and as staff told us usually they just tell the guests on the day of arrival and we should consider ourselves lucky, my wife and i where so embarrassed but since then having thought it through with cool heads it was fawlty towers we regret ever driving to this place be warned the management only care about money we could have hired a hotel locally for half the price but once the clarion got their money we where forgot about my advice hire new staff and treat people with a some hospitallity as your business suggests

Room Tip: dont stay here whatever you do !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ever
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dmg635930

Dear dmg635930,

I really wish that I could thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus.

Sadly this is not the case. As with your wife Dawn's review on the 30th August I genuinely believe that we have done all in our power to make amends with not only you and your wife but also the guests that we had to book out to another hotel.

Neither your wife or yourself have given a true and genuine account of your wedding reception. There is no mention of the lovely food or service you received, there is no mention of the fact that I personally drove members of your family home to Magherafelt in the early hours of the morning or that we gave the guests that moved to the hotel across the street complimentary transport and gift vouchers for a complimentary future stay. Not to mention the discount that we gave yourselves off your wedding bill.

I am so displeased and upset at your actions that words fail me. You have blatantly lied throughout the numerous correspondence that has come back and forth from, yourselves, your mother and the Magherafelt District Advice Service.

To all our other guests I would like to thank you for your continued support and to encourage you to read our many positive reveiws and come see the hotel for yourself. We our honoured to have hosted over 1000 weddings in the last 3 years and have 300 booked for the next 12 months.

I believe that this is testament to the hard work of my team at The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus who work tirelessly to deliver excellent customer service.

Stephen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrickfergus
Premier Inn Carrickfergus Hotel
#1 of 2 in Holywood
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
#1 of 1 in Crawfordsburn

Been to Loughshore Hotel? Share your experiences!