“Clarion stay”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Carrickfergus
Preston, Lancashire
“Clarion stay”
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Having stayed in this hotel on two occasions I have found it to of a reasonable standard. Our first visit we had a problem with electrical sockets and informed the reception of the fault and all credit to the girl we were allocated a new room with upgrade. Second visit again we were given up graded rooms due to what we think the hotel was on a quiet week-end for rooms. Once again you have to give credit to the hotel as they do not have to extend this courtesy.

FOOD; first stay was a let down we placed an order for a combo starter which never arrived just straight into the main course. When we pointed out the error the restaurant manager was happy to remove the main courses plaace them under a heat lamp while the starter was prepared, this offer was declined. As for the wife's lasagne this meal was undescriable and close to an oil slick. Second time round the meal was one of sheer delight, really good.

So what really lets the hotel down, clean up the lifts, the corridor walls that appear to be splashed with someones alcoholic drink and any other liquid mixture that has been violently projectiled towards them.Television picture not excatly the best oh and if the boiler packs up do please inform the guests.

Faults mentioned may seem small to some people but to this hotel could be a vast improvement to it's first time impression appeal.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Loughshore Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear ColinandJulie_11,

Thank you for sharing your recent two experiences at The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus. I am sorry that your first visit was not perfect and delighted that you had such an improved experience on your return.

At the Clarion we always try to upgrade repeat customers whenever possible. I have passed on your kind comments about the food to the Kitchen Team.

We are currently in the midst of refurbishing all our bedrooms and guest corridors and I hope that you will take the time to share your opinion of the improvements on your next visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus in the very near future.

Stephen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Mid Wales
Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed at The Clarion from the 18th - 22nd June on a coach trip from Wales to Giants Causeway & Titanic Centre (unmissable)
We found the Clarion a lovely place to stay. Fabulous generous rooms, very helpful staff & delightful food. The free bar was an added bonus.
We had a small problem with an 'aroma' from the bath, this was quickly dealt with. Also the mattress on the bed had a sunken side, another mattress was to be sourced but as the hotel was fully booked it was never changed. Not a problem for me (my husband lost the coin toss to sleep in the single bed that was in the room...lol)
Loved the cotton bedding & feather duvets.
The Tour Menu every night was varied & we were spoilt for choice. Breakfasts were delicious & staff always at hand to serve us tea & coffee.
Our packed lunches were a nice touch with Tayto crisps, mon mon xx
Gutted to come 2nd in the Quiz...will try harder next time. Great entertainment & friendly staff.
There was a Wedding every day but they still managed & catered for everyone well.
We decided to go into Belfast by ourselves & it was so easy. Bus stop right outside the hotel. £5 return & buses every ½ hour. (they return from Bridge St in Belfast centre) Did a sightseeing bus tour around Belfast which was very informative & interesting. Also went up into the glass dome on Victoria Square for a fab view.
We used the free ½ hour WiFi with a code from Reception. Was worried we would go over the ½ hour but this is impossible as it has a minute countdown box - well done xx
Would definitely return & bring family & friends to this great country & marvellous hotel.
Many many thanks

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Edmund5
, General Manager at Loughshore Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Edmund5,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus and the surrounding area. I hope it is of assistance to other travellers.

It is always pleasing for all the team at the hotel to hear such kind and positive feedback but especially so during such a busy period for us. I will hopefully get the opportunity to welcome you back to The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus in the near future.

Caernarfon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Stayed at Clarion Hotel 18th to 22nd June 2012. On booking had asked that a frecently widowed friend be given a room near my wife and I. Arrived at hotel and founf I was on 2nd floor (218) and our friend was on 4th floor. Reception refused to change either of our rooms. The rooms were large and excellent - very clean. Food was excellent (although service was slow) Free bar from 6pm to 9pm, dinner was at 7pm and didnt finish before 9pm so not much time for the free bar. Wedding on every evening making for noisy guests and therefordisturbed sleep. Staff verycourteous. I would stay here again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at Loughshore Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Dicmor,

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us at The Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus. It is pleasing to The Management Team, All the Staff & myself that you found the rooms to be clean, comfortable and spacious.

It is a delight to hear that you would like to stay with us again in the future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Ballyclare, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Family members were attending a wedding in the Clarion Hotel. Upon arrival at the Hotel they were told that there was no rooms available for them. They had booked the rooms weeks previously and their credit card details were given.

The staff were very unpleasant in dealing with the situation, especially the manager. We had to go to another hotel in the vicinity, where we were treated extremely well. This other hotel told us that this was not the first time that this had happened at the Clarion. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone. The manager needs some training in how to treat members of the public. It was unprofessional the way he spoke to guests at the wedding.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Stephen C, General Manager at Loughshore Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Dear Marion Sefton,

Firstly may I thank you for sharing your interpretation of how your family members were treated at the Clarion Hotel. I would like to assure you that at no time was I or any member of my Management Team rude to anyone and that the couple in question apologised to me for their behaviour (which included shouting at elderly guests who happened to be passing) once we had got them sorted with accommodation in another local hotel.

The Groom thanked me personally for a great day, on the day and has since delivered a card and present for all the staff at the Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus.

On the rare occasion when we get things wrong at the Clarion Hotel, we hold our hands up and always try to go the extra mile to ensure that our guests leave knowing how important they are to us.

Scotland
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Rooms are comfortable and light, though some people would be put off by rust and staining in bathroom and round windows. Front desk was good - efficient and friendly. Restaurant run by workexperience people who were very pleasant but poorly supervsied and so very inefficient. It fronts onto big main road and at back derelict factory (site undergoing clearance maybe), but if you are on top floor at front you have pleasant view over the water. Not near to shops (supermarket next door) or restaurants. Own restaurant (and whole hotel) is geared to mass parties - weddings and coach trips, pack them in as cheap as possible, so leave to draw own conclusions about quality and range of food on offer (breakfast particularly bad, like trying to eat in a rowdy school canteen). No free wifi (30 mins only) and provider is very expensive. Good parking if you have own car, but hard to reach if no car (public transport or taxi from Belfast). If you have to stay in Carrickfergus better to choose I think other hotels on waterfront away from main road and factories.

Room Tip: your choice is back of hotel so overlooking factory or front overlooking big main road (or side, so...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear TripperKlaus,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus. At the Clarion we are continually working to improve the quality of the facilities and service we offer our guests. We are proud to welcome guests from all backgrounds, age groups and interests. I am sorry that on this occasion the hotel was extremely busy and your stay was not as comfortable as you would have liked.

The Clarion is 10 minutes walk or 2 minutes drive from Carrickfergus Town Centre where there is an abundance of Restaurants, Bars, Cafes, Fast Food Outlets and a Cinema.

Reviewed June 1, 2012

I am just back after spending two days in this hotel. I booked a two night midweek break for my sister and her husband as an anniversary present and my husband and i also joined them. On arrival there was a little confusion as my sisters room was only reserved for one night, but i was assured that this would be sorted. I thought the offer included two nights dinner but was informed it was only one. I reserved a table for that evening and went to the restaurant for dinner which we enjoyed. On leaving the restaurant the waiter handed me a bill, and I explained that dinner was included in my rate but he told me I needed vouchers from reception. This took place at the door of the restaurant, with people coming and going and the word vouchers was used a lot which was embarrassing in front of my guests. We should have received any vouchers required when we checked in or when we reserved our table for dinner. Service at breakfast on day one was very poor. I know breakfast is self service, but we weren't offered tea or coffee and had to go to other tables to get basics like milk and sugar which should have been on our table. After having a lovely day touring the Antrim Coast, we returned to the hotel and my sister and her husband were locked out of their room because the first problem had not been sorted and again I had to go to reception to get it sorted. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephen C, General Manager at Loughshore Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Heldun,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Clarion Hotel, Carrickfergus. I wouls like to assure you that your feedback has been shared with the team at the Clarion. Thank you for giving such a balanced review of your experience. If I can be of any assistance please contact me directly on stephencarson@clarioncarrick.com

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 23, 2012

my daughter took me on sunday to the restaurant for a carvery meal,i must comment on the excellence of the food,it was cooked to perfection and as much as you wanted,i would definately go back,i think it is a lovely place to go.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan D
Dear Susan D,

Many Thanks for sharing your experience of our Sunday Carvery which we are very proud of. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Stephen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrickfergus
Dobbins Inn Hotel
#15 of 44 in Belfast
Ballygally Castle
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballygally

Been to Loughshore Hotel? Share your experiences!