“Clean, average food, comfortable room.”
Review of Loughshore Hotel

Loughshore Hotel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Carrickfergus
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Like others, my husband and I stayed here using the Goupon Deal. The room was spacious, clean and had tea/coffee making facilities and over looked the rear carpark. The bathroom was clean although there was a lot of discolouration around the bath/shower area. The restaurant was spacious and clean and the menu choice was average, we gave our room number to the maitre d' who seated us. We had a starter combo that was delicious. However, the sirloin steak was £16.95 and did not include sides ie chips. This was served with 1 portabello mushroom and a tomato. We asked for a gravy boat (not very nice at all). The steak was overcooked and the main meal was average, a selection of vegetables or even onion would have made a difference. The maitre d' I found incredibly annoying and overly attentive. He interupted frequently, lifting glasses unnecessarily and infact took the wine glass when I had a bottle of wine on the table! I then had to ask another waiter for a glass. He then came over later and lifted the wine, which I told him I would pour myself, yet he came over again and poured my wine - very frustrating. After the meal we left the restaurant and the maitre d' came out after us asking if we were going to settle the bill, however, we had already given him our room number and would have assumed this would be added to our room service - quite embarrasing really. Breakfast was all self service including the tea/coffee and was enjoyable. The hotel was quite noisey during the night, banging of doors and very loud guests but this is not the hotels fault. I would go back again although if the same maitre d' was there I might not bother visiting the restaurant! All other bar staff, waiters and receptionists were very friendly.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
CPBelfast, Manager at Loughshore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2011

Thank you for your review of the Clarion Hotel. We do appreciate your comments, and will look into the matters which you noted. Your kind comments about the friendliness of the restaurant, bar and reception staff will also be passed on.

There are newer reviews for Loughshore Hotel

Reviewed June 26, 2011

I had attended this hotel on a number of occasions but this was the first occasion that I had stayed overnight. From previous experience I had no hesitation in booking, like many others, through Groupon. My wife and I get away only occasionally to recharge the batteries. I'm afraid batteries were discharged on this occasion.
On arrival and throughout I have to say service was excellent and always with a smile. Top marks.
The meal - we were informed that the restaurant was being renovated and were sent to the bar restaurant. The menu provided was minimilistic to say the least. We thought this was due to the voucher but it became apparent that this was the only menu on offer - extremely disappointing. That said the food was of a high standard and there were no complaints. Similarly breakfast was good.
The room - disappointing for a four star hotel. Bathroom had dirty and mouldy grout. The worst I've seen for some time. We had two single beds that were pushed together. This isnt usually a problem but one bed was 2 inches higher than the other. We both found the mattresses very firm.
And now the main beef. This is clearly a wedding hotel. I note a previous poster noted it was the noisiest hotel he had stayed out. I'm inclined to agree. Banging doors, children running through corridors and routine shouting and loud conversations. To make matters worse something kicked off about 3.00am which sounded like a pitch battle riot. I would be surprised if we were the only guests to be wakened.
If you are attending a wedding I think this hotel would be spot on. If you are looking for a quiet break in a 4 star hotel I could recommend numerous others.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank GCCo.Derry

Thank you for taking the time to review the Clarion Hotel. We are glad that you found that the quality of food and service was excellent, as we strive for nothing less. Unfortunately, on the evening you stayed there was an internal disagreement between some residential conference guests which did disturb other residents, however this was dealt with as swiftly as possible by Hotel staff. The hotel is undergoing significant refurbishment works which was the reason for the reduced menu offering, and all bedrooms and bathrooms will be updated shortly. We would encourage you to come back and see the changes we have made!

Reviewed June 23, 2011

Although staying at the Clarion with a group, it was evident that the Clarion is extremely popular and is very good value. All members of staff were superb. Bedrooms are excellent, food good (undoubtedly the dining experience will be much enhanced when the new Dining Roon has opened).
Although it would appear that there is likely to be a wedding party at the hotel on most evenings we didn't find this to be intrusive.
Over all an excellent base to experience the many pleasure of Northern Ireland

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
CPBelfast, Manager at Loughshore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2011

Thank you for your review- offering great value (not just a good price, but great service, food and surroundings) is our main aim at the Clarion and we are delighted that you appreciated it. The Hotel is ideally located for exploring Northern Ireland and we hope you will come back.

Reviewed May 30, 2011

Stayed at the Clarion Carrickfergus for two nights to attend a family wedding in Belfast
The Hotel is clean and well placed for exploring the Town
Very good staff always polite and helpful
The room we stayed in was clean and tidy and got a good nights sleep
Breakfast very good and in a relaxed surroundings
we would stay again and hope to do so soon

Mr & Mrs Brumby. Lincolnshire England

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
CPBelfast, Manager at Loughshore Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2011

Thank you for your review of the Clarion Hotel, your feedback is very important to us and we would hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed May 28, 2011

Used the Clarion for daughter's wedding reception on 26/05/2011, first class service, food, and surroundings, particularly helpful were Lily and David. A great day enjoyed by all the guests. A large number of guests stayed in the hotel, rooms spotlessly clean, comfortable, bright and airy, breakfast in the morning was very good.

• Stayed: May 2011

We are delighted that you enjoyed your Big Day here at the Clarion, and your kind words will be passed on to the staff concerned.

Reviewed May 24, 2011

We stayed at the Clarion on points. I feared that because we didn't pay cash that we might be treated differently. WRONG! It was perfect. Once I made my reservation I received a confirmation from the GM. I emailed back asking for an early check-in as we'd be flying into Dublin and driving to the hotel arriving very tired around noon. I felt that a 2 hour nap would allow us to salvage the day, see local sights and go to bed on local time. No Problem. I got an email from Stephen Perry assuring me that they would do their best to accomodate us. Stephen also gave me advice on the itinerary I had shared with him. Once we arrived we were allowed to check in early to an excellent room with a hair dryer for my wife and a tea-coffee maker for me. We got a 3:00 wake-up call and when we passed through the lobby we were given brochures on local attractions by the desk clerk Jillian who was very gracious and helpful. We also met Stephen who suggested that we not miss the Carrickfergus Castle. Excellent advice, stay at the Clarion, see the Castle and take the Coastal Causeway Route. You'll not regret any of it.

Next time we'll stay at the Clarion when we daytrip Belfast and Larne as well.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your kind words- we do try and offer a level of personal service to our guests which exceeds their expectations, and we are very glad that you appreciated it. We would be delighted to welcome you back here to explore Northern Ireland further.

Reviewed May 23, 2011

Stopped here for a night on the way back from Donegal. Rooms very comfortable and clean with a good bathroom. Beds very comfortable and we all slept well.
Food in the dining room was very enjoyable and they have a great dinner, bed and breakfast rate. We will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review of the Clarion Hotel - we do pride ourselves on our very comfortable beds! We appreciate your feedback and hope that you do visit us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carrickfergus
Dobbins Inn Hotel
#13 of 44 in Belfast
Galgorm Resort & Spa
Galgorm Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Loughshore Hotel? Share your experiences!