Dobbins Inn Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Loughshore Hotel(Carrickfergus)
Hotels.com
Parklands(Carrickfergus)
PremierInn.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewssteakhaunted roomresident ghostlots of charactercarrickfergus castlebottle of winebit datedfood is excellentcooked to perfectionbrick wallan overnight staybar restaurantstayed here for nightsevening mealulster frynorthern irelandlovely place
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 9, 2007

Good food and plesant service. Rooms are small but clean. Suitable for a one or two nights stay before heading up the coast. I found it very informal, which I liked, however some people may not like that.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2007

Not familair with hotels in Northern Ireland, I was recommended by a friend to stay here. His family are from this town so knew the local area. Dobbins is in the main street and although it is quiet, once inside the hotel it has a great atmosphere.
The bedroom was small but clean and well maintained, you can tell they have been repainted and refreshed recently.The bar was the busiest spot, good lunch food and was busy at night time. I did have breakfast which was great and the lady who served me was lovely, really friendly. The hotel is an old building and you have to see service and decor in that light, I really liked it and if you are into history and old buildings then this hotel has great charm. It is just a shame there is little else to do or see in Carrickfergus

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank watervalls
Reviewed October 28, 2006

We had planned to stay in Belfast, but the Jury's hotel would not honnor our hotel vouchers. The Dobbins was listed as a hotel accepting the vouchers..I called and they said they had a room for us for the night. Overall we liked the way we were treated by the owners and staff, so we decided to stay 2 more nights.
It's old, creaky, noisy, (their fire doors slammed shut) not the cleanest, (found dish with cigarrett butts and a pair of someone's underware tucked into the bedskirt on the floor) Once they changed out the matress...springs were litteraly popping through so my sister got a terrible night's sleep, we had a fine stay. Food was fine in the pub...good prices and a very nice breakfast. It's only served till 9:00 am, so no sleepy heads allowed. One morning sister couldn't make it down, they actually brought up a breakfast tray for her! Lovely service by staff member Edith.

It's funky, old and right across the street from the castle, close to the train station and bus line. We will stay here again and commute into Belfast.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LLLmom
Reviewed October 4, 2006

We had booked one night at the Dobbin's Inn Hotel. We planned to take a ferry from the Isle of Man to Belfast and stay at the Inn on our way to the north Irish Coast. Unfortunately a storm came through and our ferry to Belfast was cancelled. We tried to book a flight to Belfast but could not get anything until the following day. We called the Dobbin's Inn immediately to let them know that we would not be able to make it to the Belfast area that evening, and, rather than expressing any concern about our misfortune, the lady curtly told us that we would be paying for the room anyway. I explained that the situation was beyond our control (she was aware of the storm), but she was abrupt and would not discuss it further. My wife followed up with an e-mail to further explain our situation. It didn't matter. Our VISA card was charged 68 British pounds. I guess I will never know if it is a good place to stay - I will never stay there during future trips to the Belfast area.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank Lee-in-Monroe
Reviewed July 28, 2006

Arrived at the hotel to a warm welcome by reception, we trooped up the stairs along the corridors to our rooms. (If disabled or not fond on steps this place is not for you). The rooms are lovely and much better than I expected for a 2* accommodation. (get the impression on passing another room that its currently been updated).

Its in a perfect location for the new marina, with fab restaurants and beautiful walks along the sea front.

I can recommend the breakfasts here with very helpful staff to a party of mixed appetites! We chose to eat elsewhere in the town as there are some really nice restaurants/grills.

Can I please warn you that this hotel is a very popular local pub with evening entertainments that are very loud!!!! this includes Sunday nights! Check their website for these before booking. The men in our party loved it and stayed in the bar into the early hours of the morning!

The staff couldnt have been more helpful and after all that I have said it is a fantastic place to stay and a good base for checking out the rest of Northern Ireland.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends