“Dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of knockagh lodge

knockagh lodge
Ranked #34 of 65 Restaurants in Carrickfergus
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Kids, Scenic view, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: on the edge between newtownabbey and carrickfergus
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Somehow they manage to get easy-to-cook food so horribly wrong. Everything was tasteless, apart from the roast potatoes which had such a foul flavour I wondered how on earth they had achieved it. The plates were cold, a little chit was issued for each course, so that if you were crazy enough to attempt a second helping this would be declined. Surely the idea of a carvery is that you can try several choices of each course; the price of the carvery at Knockagh was equivalent to a normal restaurant, yet you have limited choice and have to fetch your own food.
They also stage it in a ground floor room which doesn't take advantage of the building's view over the lough, it has poor natural light and no atmosphere whatsoever.
On the plus side, the staff were friendly enough, although you could sense they knew they were flogging a dead thing.
Best to go to a proper restaurant, or cook at home; no matter how inept you are in the kitchen you'll do no worse than their chef.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank John H
James W, Manager at knockagh lodge, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
We were very disappointed to learn that you didn't enjoy your Carvery with ourselves, we are usually known for how good our carvery is, but if you had have made your complaint to one of our staff at the time we could have tried to rectify the problem for you as we do our best to try and give all our customers an enjoyable dining experience. I have taken everything that you have said extremely seriously and will speaking to the staff also. Please accept my apologies once again and hope you would give our Carvery another try some time in the future.

East Antrim
“very disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

The restaurant was an old favorite til it went downhill a few years ago... we heard it had changed chef and was good... went on Wednesday night it I had a fajita which was abominable the chicken tasted stale and there was a dark sauce inside with overcooked peppers I think!!!
no roasties on the dinner s will never be back and its not cheap.... such a lovely place it used to be so good and busy

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank theharperfamily
James W, Manager at knockagh lodge, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
We are sorry you did not enjoy your dining experience with I can only offer my sincere apologies and hope that we will see you again some time in the future.

Arabi, Louisiana
“Incredibly dissapointed!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Terrible considering the promise of a carvery. Firstly, you can only get meat once, and there is little variety.the food is tastless and cold, and the soap dispenser in the mans toilets was torn off. Was not even asked if everythingbwas OK. Really no atmosphere.

Visited February 2013
James W, Manager at knockagh lodge, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
I have read your review regarding our Carvery and offer my apologies as you didn't enjoy your meal with ourselves. As to the maintentance of the toilets we are in the process of updating our dispensers and machines, I can only apologise once again, and hope to see you again in the future.

“Somewhat Disappointed...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

I recently visited Knockagh Lodge for a family dinner which I organised for some relatives who were visiting Carrickfergus for the first time. We went to the Knockagh Lodge on a Saturday night for a meal. I have somewhat mixed feelings because two meals were lovely whilst the other two were just not up to cratch. My order was chicken strips on a bed of salad and the salad had clearly not been washed. There was literally a stone and lumps of dirt wrapped up in between the lettuce leaves beneath the chicken which had passed around the plate so every time I ate a bite of the meal I could taste grit in my mouth. Because it was me who had organised the dinner and others seemed to be enjoying their dinner, I didn't raise a complaint at the time and have regretted it since. But I hope that this review is taken into account and the salad will now be washed before put on a plate! As I said others seemed to enjoy what they received so I would probably go back to try the Knockagh Lodge again in the hope that the mistake would not be repeated!

2 Thank Miss-P-reviews2013
James W, Manager at knockagh lodge, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Good Afternoon
I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed in your dining experience with ourselves, our salad is bought in from a supplier pre washed and I will be in contact with them. I have also passed your complaint onto our kitchen as well. If you would like to come up and make yourself known to the reception staff, I will compensate for your inconvenience. Once again I would like to apologise, and hope that we will see you again in the future.
Kind Regards
Manager
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Food wasn't over priced. But there are a lot of other places that offer better value for money. The young staff where very attentive. Food was nice. Lovely view and we caught the snow fall just in time.