“Average overall”

Harrys Bar & Bistro
Ranked #33 of 45 Restaurants in Cookstown
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I ate here recently and I'm afraid my review isn't great. I had their homemade burger with pulled pork... Pork was tasty- burger was bland, full of lumpy gristle. Was very tempted to send it back when it was brought out to me.. It's served on a wooden board. Now I'm no genius but when you order food and ask for gravy, how do you keep it from running all over the table when your food comes out on a plank or slate? My mother in law ordered a spicy wrap which also came on a plank... It fell apart and went everywhere too. Overall bland food at an average price, served well by pleasant staff. Wouldn't hurry back-sorry.

2  Thank adie h
There are newer reviews for Harrys Bar & Bistro

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I was a little disappointed with this place, especially as the hotel restaurant isn't open all week so unless you travel this is the only place to eat whilst at the hotel. When you walk in I noticed everyone scanned the room a number of times and couldn't decide where to sit. It is so dark and unwelcoming it was not good. The staff were pleasant and the entertainment of fitz the dog at the door begging for the stick to be thrown gave this place a homely chilled out feel. The food isn't anything particularly special, I had satay chicken, with no satay in sight, a bit odd, and a steak that was lovely but an overly salty sauce to accompany it. The hand cut chips were a disappointment. Desert had no ice cream as per the description either, all in all it felt a bit like the chef didn't know what he was doing. Maybe I just picked the wrong things on the menu.

2  Thank Lucinda_lay
Reviewed June 13, 2014

The food was delicious and, probably because we sat outside rather than inside in the gloom and heat, we had fantastic service: I think all the staff served us at some point! The food was tasty and well presented and they were happy to help with any special requests.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

Made a huge mistake in choosing this venue for a meal as it was a major disappointment. The first criticism I would have is the poor poor lighting upon entering the restaurant it took us a while to adjust to the darkness so much so we had difficulty in reading the menu.
My sister had ordered home made vegetable soup as a starter, however, when it arrived it was cold and tasted like tinned scotch broth, and the wheaten bread could have been used as a weapon it was so hard. The other starters were just all right they were edible but no wow factor.
I was hoping there would have been an improvement in our main course but things only went down hill after that. My friends' meal was inedible. It was described on the menu as chicken salad but when it arrived the chicken was as tough as old boots and the dressing that covered it should have carried a government health warning as it would have caused Grade A burns to ones' mouth the dressing was so hot. Absolutely dreadful. Needless to say it remained untouched. Whoever, the chef was obviously did not taste his/her dish as no-one in a professional capacity would have served that to anyone.
Myself and my sister ordered scampi and skinny chips, both arrived cold and from the taste of the scampi I would say was frozen as were the chips.
Other friend had ordered some chicken dish from the main menu but she swapped it with her sister who couldn't eat the chicken salad so one of our party had nothing to eat.
The whole experience was awful although to be fair when I requested that the untouched meal to be removed from the bill they did oblige.
I was so annoyed with myself that I had opted to go here and it was compounded by the fact that I had brought along friends who in essence had paid good money for nothing.
I would love to be able to say I would give this place another chance but for me it is not worth ruining an evening for.
So my advice is please avoid if you have other choices.

1  Thank Martha D
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

My food & my co diners food was burnt black. Just terrible that a kitchen would let that go out. On the only up side Staff were very pleasant & attentive

1  Thank GoldieLocks138