“Allergy sufferers beware”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Visited villa vinci's in both Newcastle and Cookstown several times and was always very impressed by food. Last night I decided to try a dessert for the first time as I don't normally bother with dessert. I explained to the waitress that I was allergic to egg and asked her to check which desserts I could have. She went off to kitchen and returned to tell me that both the pannacotta and tiramisu were made fresh in premises and both these we're safe. I was very impressed, and ordered tiramisu, an old favourite! When the desserts arrived, I asked my husband to try his dessert first (thankfully), and we discovered that there was a sponge base, as suspected by me. I called the waitress back and asked was she sure there were no eggs, she was positive. I was about to eat my dessert when I heard her say 'coffee, mascarpone cheese and chocolate, sure none of those have eggs'. Before I tucked into the dessert I called the waitress back, for the third time now, and queried how the sponge cake was made, 'oh, we don't make that here, I don't know!' When she returned several minutes later, my dessert was snatched from me and the waitress disappeared muttering about egg. Thankfully I was alert enough to realise the potential problem here, but for another customer the story could have been VERY different.

I tried to explain the seriousness of the situation had I have eaten the dessert, but the waitress seemed to think I was making a fuss and being rude. I asked for the manager, who I was told was away, but when I asked for a contact number, a female suddenly appeared posing as the manager. I explained the potential problem, again. I received and apology and was assured the member of staff would be spoken to, and all staff briefed on allergy awareness.

As I was packing up to leave I heard the conversation between the manager and the waitress...."oh that customer was just complaining about you, but it's okay, you did good, you have nothing to worry about." Unbelievable!!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

headed over to villa vincis for lunch today and i have to say i was well impressed the food was great the portions were big and the food was well cooked , all in all i would advise anybody to try villa vincis they wont be disappointed i will de go back again

1  Thank horrible t
Reviewed September 4, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I went here a few weeks ago, both ordered bruschetta - never seen as many tomatoes on a plate - note to chef less is more! My main (chicken) was very nice and hubby said there wasn't much meat with his spaghetti. I didn't like the dessert, ordered baileys cheesecake, portions are too big and the whipped cream from a tin does nothin for it. All in all experience ok

Reviewed September 3, 2012

i was taken there by my daughter last thursday evening, you do need to book a table, as it was very busy, the food was great, very big starters, and the main was vert tasty, full of flavour, the staff was frendly, an knew what the dish off the day was! not to badly priced, clean, would recomond to friends an familys.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I have visited the Villa Vinci in Newcastle on several occasions and was delighted to see another in Cookstown. The food and service is as good as I have always found in Newcastle and the staff and surroundings are lovely! Well worth a visit.