“my perfect day!!”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cookstown
belfast
“my perfect day!!”
Reviewed May 19, 2009

My husband and I had our wedding reception here. It was truly the best day of my life. I was really nervous before the big day but James and Brenda(wedding managers) had worked hard to make everything run smoothly. I can’t speak highly enough about the service we had received from the hotel overall. The Tyrone suite where we had the reception, it was gorgeous, we had chair covers and table centrepieces from completely covered(www.completelycoveredni.co.uk) recommended by the hotel. At the top table we were treated like royalty, not something I was expecting but made the day feel really special. It was for me a fairy tale wedding!!!
The bridal suite was fantastic, big room, very clean and lovely view. Couldn't find fault with anything food, service or accommodation. Will be returning for a quiet weekend I hope nothing has changed!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Paulafrawilson, General Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2009
Dear belfastgirl3,

Thank you for your review - I am so pleased you had a wonderful day to remember and that all your plans went smoothly. I'll be delighted to pass your kind words on to the rest of the team.

With every good wish for the future.

Paula Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Ireland
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I was attending a 2 day function with some friends of mine. After reading the previous review I was very shocked as I can only say that the establishment, staff and food was of the highest quality. My stay from checkin to check out could not be faulted. The receptionists and waiting staff I found were especially helpful and the food all weekend from breakfast, lunch & dinner was absolutley beautiful. I had a gorgeous room with a lovely view of the river and I have to complement the housekeepers as the room was spotless. The leisure facilities have to be seen fantastic. All in all a fabulous stay and I (along with all of my colleagues) will defintely be returning. THANK YOU GLENAVON..

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
N. Ireland
Reviewed May 10, 2009

Sunk in the 80s can be the only way of describing this hotel and the service. For £90 per night, we were given a room which had not been cleaned. The room did not even have a a window that you could not see out of. the replacement room was only marginally better in that you could see out of the window! However it was above the function room and therefore sleep was impossible until the band stopped playing! Breakfast was greasy and unappetizing. A dreadful experience with no redeeming features.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CandCS
Dear CandCS

I'm sorry to read you didn't enjoy your stay.

When you enquired at the desk regarding availability the receptionist advised that we had only one standard room left and as a wedding guest you would be entitled to the discounted wedding guest rate of £90.00. You were also advised about the possibility of noise from the wedding which you were attending. (given your attendance I don’t think anyone considered the possibility of noise to be a problem) The receptionist also provided you with a list of local B&Bs which I assume were either not available or unsatisfactory as you returned a short time later and asked was the room still available.

Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings in room cleanliness – a lady who required a smoking room had just left the room and the housekeeper had not had an opportunity to check the room again prior to your check in otherwise she would have spotted the teacup which had been used!

The window of the room is frosted to afford privacy to the resident from a delivery area and car park of the hotel. We are continually refurbishing areas of the hotel including our bedrooms which are constantly updated to address the fact that the hotel is so busy and there is a lot of wear and tear from usage

My colleagues in the kitchen and restaurant work hard towards meeting the expectations of our guests and generally this is achieved with great success - but as they say - you can't please all of the people all of the time!

As we enjoy a very good reputation for good food and friendly service we won't panic over the subjective opinion of a few.

Dublin
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I spent a weekend here recently for a wedding and it turned into a nightmare for us. I booked two rooms, for my partner and I and also my parents however I didn't mention either when booking or at check in that we were attending a wedding. My mistake however was asking for one smoking room. We had dinner in the hotel on the first night and also breakfast both mornings which we found perfect on each occassion. The rooms were a little dated but clean and adequate. As we had booked one smoking and one non-smoking our rooms were at different ends of the hotel, which resulted in my parents being kept awake the first night from the fights in the car park after the night club closed.

The night of the wedding however was hell. My partner and I returned to our room around 1.30 am to be greeted by a girl sitting in the hallway crying. Shortly after that fighting broke out in the hall, and this together with general running round, shouting, singing and banging doors continued until 8 am. Around 6 am we started to get hoax calls to our room and then someone tried to kick our door in. At no point did we open the door to complain about the noise as quite frankly we were too scared. I did try to contact reception to complain but the phone was dead for a good part of the night and when we did eventually get a dial tone I got no answer from reception.

I did complain to the hotel in writing and was advised that they locate all guests attending late functions in the same area so as not to disturb other guests, and that anyone in the section of the hotel where our room was had attended the same wedding as us. I cannot confirm or deny this as it was a very big wedding and we didn't know too many people there. However, as I never at any point stated that we were attending a wedding, I can only assume that we were located in this area as this was where all the smoking rooms were located.

My advise - check if there's a wedding or any other function on when booking, request a non-smoking room and one that doesn't overlook the carpark or nightclub entrance.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
Dear Skylarkin,

Thank you for completing a review on the hotel following your stay with us in February.

Your complaints were very familiar to me as you had contacted the hotel regarding them. I have however noted that the many compliments paid to us in your first correspondence are not as obvious in your review!

As I stated in my earlier reply I can fully appreciate your concerns during the disturbances outlined but unfortunately some people, when they have consumed alcohol, behave in an unruly manner. Our night staff were unaware of these disturbances on the bedroom corridor - had they have been aware they would of course taken action. It is a large hotel and noise is often not obvious at reception especially when the other residents are availing of the late bar facilities!

I can assure you again that all guests in the bedroom corridors concerned were wedding guests attending the same wedding as yourselves. These guests obviously had little regard for their hosts or fellow guests as there were a few skirmishes that evening during the course of the reception in the Banqueting Suite. Unruly guests are difficult to deal - a fact which you accepted in your reply to my original correspondence.

I think your own explanation with regards to the telephone not working – the fact that whoever had phoned had left their phone off the hook thus restricting your line - is the only real explanation given that it was working when this was drawn to our attention.

I hope you have accepted my apology proffered previously for the disturbances and trust that any return in the future will be more like your first nights experience and not your second nights!

Co Down
Reviewed October 14, 2008

I have recently spent two nights at the Glenavon Hotel on a course. I cannot speak highly enough about the standard of room and helpfulness of staff. The food (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and the leisure facilities were all excellent. I was also very pleasantly surprised by the excellent local shops. All in all a very enjoyable experience which I am hoping to repeat with my family in the near future.

• Liked — Family room was excellent. Sleeps 6. Quiet end of hotel with great views of river.
  • Disliked — N/A Couldn't fault it.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Belter64
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Upon my arrival at this hotel I felt the driveway which passes through tall trees was attractive and foresty. The lobby area is acceptable looking. My husband and I were given ROOM 38 - so let me warn you in advance to avoid that one - it is HORRIBLE - dark, bad lighting, the lone window looks out onto a dark corner of a roof that is dirty and it is just dark and creepy in a way that I can explain - just trust me. I usually make the best of any room I am assigned at a hotel but in this case I had to be moved to another room.

The new room, room 33, was much better, on the front of the hotel and had two big windows with window seats which let in plenty of natural light and looked over lovely mature trees. I was fine with it, and we had free internet so I can't complain, but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Breakfast was just so so in the mornings. They had room service although we never used it.

Stayed September 2008
Macclesfield Cheshire United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2008

Stayed at Glenavon for four days in June 2008.

Great room overlooking river, large bathroom, towels changed
every day - good swimming pool and super hair salon.

Buffet breakfast was huge in choice - evening meals every bit as good.

Cookstown is good central town for Northern Ireland.

Stayed June 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cookstown
Tullylagan Country House Hotel
#1 of 3 in Omagh
Charlemont House
Charlemont House
#2 of 6 in Dungannon

Been to Glenavon House Hotel? Share your experiences!