“just okay”

Glenavon House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cookstown
Reviewed October 6, 2008

Upon my arrival at this hotel I felt the driveway which passes through tall trees was attractive and foresty. The lobby area is acceptable looking. My husband and I were given ROOM 38 - so let me warn you in advance to avoid that one - it is HORRIBLE - dark, bad lighting, the lone window looks out onto a dark corner of a roof that is dirty and it is just dark and creepy in a way that I can explain - just trust me. I usually make the best of any room I am assigned at a hotel but in this case I had to be moved to another room.

The new room, room 33, was much better, on the front of the hotel and had two big windows with window seats which let in plenty of natural light and looked over lovely mature trees. I was fine with it, and we had free internet so I can't complain, but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Breakfast was just so so in the mornings. They had room service although we never used it.

Stayed: September 2008

Reviewed June 10, 2008

Stayed at Glenavon for four days in June 2008.

Great room overlooking river, large bathroom, towels changed
every day - good swimming pool and super hair salon.

Buffet breakfast was huge in choice - evening meals every bit as good.

Cookstown is good central town for Northern Ireland.

Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed March 31, 2008

I have stayed here a couple of times however on this occasion I stayed for one night after a wedding in the hotel opposite. The room was large and had an extra bed. Tea /coffee making facilities were availlable. The room was in the new annex but seemed to lack any character. The bathroom was white including walls and floor, complimentary toiletries were available.

It is an extremely popular hotel for weddings in Tyrone and I would advise anybody staying there for a quiet break to check out whether a wedding is booked for that period, also the hotel is adjacent to a club and the car park area has alot of activity until the wee hours.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2007

Had our daughters wedding in the Glenavon on Sat 29th Sept. Couldn't find fault with anything - food, service, accommodation all first class. The staff (Brenda and James) especially were both friendly and efficient hence everything ran smoothly. Will return soon for a relaxing weekend. Thanks to a great team we had a wonderful day.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2007

We stayed here for two nights. We asked for a non-smoking room and it was until all the smokers went outside and smoked ALL NIGHT just outside our window. Nice! Also, we had a lovely view of the parking lot. Sweet! Both nights we heard young kids speeding their cars about and lots of hollering and yelling. The buffet breakfast was Irish sausages, rashers, sitting in cafeteria steel buffet dishes over hot water. They had decent porridge, but you had to ask for it. Also, the eggs were disgusting! They were made to order by someone who knows absolutely nothing about cooking! I read several of the other reviews and I can't believe these people said the breakfast was "superb"! Do they know what that means? Or are they only acquainted with food from places like Londis? It was barely edible. I'm not saying Irish breakfast is bad, I'm saying THEIR Irish breakfast was bad. Where were the scones? The brown bread? The salmon? Or how about fruit? No fruit! Crazy.

The rooms were about a two star, but that is American standards, in Europe it would be a three star. It was good enough, we weren't staying forever just a couple of nights. They were large enough in size, but in no way were they luxurious. There is no service. I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again, but it wasn't god awful. Just eat somewhere else!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmoregan
Reviewed May 7, 2007

Stayed at the hotel for a wedding last weekend and couldn't find one fault with the place. The room for the reception was beautiful and the room I had was great, especially as it was so reasonably priced. The best thing about the hotel was its staff. They were so friendly and attentive - they really made sure that everyone had an enjoyable day and a beautiful meal. I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone planning a wedding as I had such a nice time as a guest at the wedding I was just at.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2007

Stayed in the Glenavon on the 16th - 19th March 2007. Having read some previous reviews was a bit concerned; however my concerns were unfounded.
Had a family room which had a bouble and 2 single beds, which were in an alcove and the kids even had their own T.V.
the room was very spacious and looked out onto a river.
Breakfast is a buffet of the usual but we found it superb.
Tried out the leisure centre which has a 20metre pool, etc. and found it very clean and the staff helpful; it even has its' own hair saloon.
The hotel is situated close to ASDA and only about 2 mins (by car) to the town centre.
I have already booked another weekend visit for the middle of April.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cookstown
Tullylagan Country House Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dungannon
Galgorm Resort & Spa
Galgorm Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Glenavon House Hotel? Share your experiences!