“Our wedding at the Glenavon”

Glenavon House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cookstown
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Our wedding at the Glenavon”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

We chose the Glenavon House Hotel as our wedding venue as it was so reasonably priced. We had our wedding ceremony and reception at the Glenavon, right from day one the staff made us feel at ease and helped us with any queries we had during planning. On the day itself everything ran smoothly and we had no problems at all due to staff being so organised. The food and service during our meal was excellent. Most of our guests stayed overnight and were all impressed by the size and cleanliness of the rooms. All in all we had a great day and would definately recommend the Glenavon House Hotel as a wedding venue.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Maginty23,

Thank you very much for your very kind comments in your recently posted review.

We are all delighted to hear that you, your family and guests had a wonderful time at the Glenavon and all your expectations in terms of facilities, excellent food & service and value for money were met! We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Once again many thanks for taking the time to review your Wedding Reception.

Paula Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Cookstown, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 30, 2013

We had our wedding reception on the 22nd June 2013 and would just like to take time to Thank the Glenavon for helping in making it such a wonderful day.
Up to our big day the Glenavon management were in constant contact to make sure that all our planning had been catered for. On the day the food was beautiful and everyone got more than enough to eat which our guests were more than happy with as this is not always the case at other hotels. There was plenty of staff which ensured that everyone got their food piping hot and in a timely manner.
We couldn't have asked for anything more than the helpful staff, stylish facilities and beautiful surroundings provided.
Shauna D

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Shauna601,

Thank you very much for your very kind comments in your recent review.

I was delighted to hear that your wedding preparations and the Big Day itself went like a dream. The staff appreciated what an important day it is for all involved and always go the extra mile to make sure everything goes according to plan!

Enjoy your first Christmas as Mr and Mrs!

Derry, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Spent two nights here recently on a conference. My colleague and I had two single rooms which were huge family rooms and were really nice. Although we had booked weeks earlier by phone the receptionist only had my name booked in for the two nights and had no record of my colleague. Luckily there were rooms available but had it been full then we would have had a problem.
We had a nice dinner on the first night in the restaurant . Food was good but bar area and dining room lacked warmth and coziness on a cold windy night an open fire somewhere would be a help. We had a good nights sleep although we could not alter the temperature of radiators in our room and I was rather warm .
In the morning however we had a problem . My shower only had hot water and it was too scalding to use and my friend in the room next door only had cold water. After fiddling with the controls for over half and hour in both rooms we gave up. We ran out of time, gave up and went for breakfast. We then reported this and were told that "it is usually only Americans who can't use our showers" assuming immediately that it was something were were doing wrong. A nice lady came from housekeeping and tested the shower in 102 and confirmed that it did indeed only have cold water. However in my room 101 with fiddling around she got a blast of temperate water and declared my shower ok. My friend was moved to another room. We had no time then to shower as our conference was starting, That night I wanted a quick shower before dinner and the shower gave a quick blast of nice temperate water for 5 seconds then the water went off all together. I reported this to reception and they offered to charge my room but I was rushing to dinner and hadn't time for the hassle of gathering up all my stuff .
In the morning I hoped that it would be ok but then I had no water at all again . The bath taps and wash hand basin were fine however.
When we checked out and were asked if everything was ok I reminded them about our shower problem and the girl did apologise . I was surprised however to see that I was offered no compensation for the inconvenience of not being able to shower for our entire visit .We had a bottle of wine on our bill and a £3 supplement for going off menu on the dinner offer but we were charged everything. Had this been in the US we would have been given a free night , free meal , free wine something- very poor customer service .
Also during lunch on the 2nd day for the conference members a lady stood at the dining room ordering us where to sit exactly. There were 4 or 5 tables allocated to our group and surely we should have been allowed to sit where we liked at any of these tables like we did on day 1 Instead being the first 3 in the queue we were ushered into a table of four in a corner and not allowed to sit anywhere else, the next person was then ordered to sit beside us even though she was then split up from a colleague she had intended to sit with . We watched this go on for all the delegates, perhaps the hotel forgot that we were school Vice principals not school children. Glenavon is a nice hotel and the staff were generally very friendly but they could improve an awful lot on customer service .

Room Tip: check that you shower is working before unpacking
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Holidayseeker,

Whilst I was very pleased with certain aspects of your review, I was disappointed in particular to learn of you and your colleagues’ difficulty with the showers in your rooms.

It is the strangest thing - we had a group of residents on floor 1 for the previous 12 days to your stay and they had no difficulty whatsoever with their showers. As you indicated your colleague in room 102 was moved to 103 and I understand had no further difficulty. The shower in room 101 has been checked on 2 separate occasions now and the plumber is unable to find anything wrong with it. The room was in use on both Friday and Saturday night following your departure and having checked this morning with the residents, the shower worked perfectly for them! A mystery.

I am very sorry if you felt that the receptionists did not deal with your complaint in a satisfactory manner. I am not sure what exactly would or would not have occurred had this have happened in America as I am unfamiliar with hotel operations in the United States. It is not our hotel policy to refund / discount when an alternative is offered regardless of whether it is accepted, as was the case with your colleague in room 102 or refused, as was the case with yourself due to the hassle it would have involved. Had we not have been able to offer you an alternative room then it is our policy to discount appropriately.

I have spoken to all staff involved and no-one recalls making a remark about Americans being unable to work our showers – I can only apologise for this – I would like to believe that the remark was simply a tongue and cheek remark, not intended to cause any offence / angst. If you would like to contact me at the hotel to advise who exactly it was made the remark I will be happy to follow this up further.

The hotel was extremely busy last week with conferences and we had to ask all conference delegates to adhere strictly to the table allocation made. This was simply to ensure that all delegates had seating when they received their meal. I will however speak to the Restaurant Manager with regard to allowing a degree of flexibility between the tables allocated to a particular group. This could indeed alleviate the problem you have highlighted from last week but I fear it will not completely eradicate the problem of friends sometimes being separated.

There is a temperature control on the wall of each room allowing the resident to adjust the heat in the room by +/- 3degrees. There are further instructions in the guest information pack about what to do if this is insufficient.

I have kept a note of you and your colleagues details and should either of you at any time in the future, plan to return please contact me at the hotel when I will be happy to organise a complimentary upgrade for your inconvenience.

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, we welcome all feedback and trust that any future visits to the hotel will be enjoyable.

Yours faithfully,
Ireland, Indiana
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Visited here recently for lunch, availed of self service, limited selection, food luke warm, plenty of people around, nice setting, friendly staff and reasonably priced. I believe bigger selection and hotter food would attract me back

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear ANNENIreland,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit for lunch.

We appreciate that the selection from our lunch buffet is limited to four hot main course items along with the cold meats and salad bar selection. This is then supplemented by our "Lite Bites" menu which offers snack like items such as toasties, paninis, chicken goujons, sandwiches, soups etc.. However we were disappointed that the food was not as hot as you would like and would have been more than happy to replace had we have known at the time.

We were please to learn that all other aspects of your visit were satisfactory and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Augher, Northern Ireland
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We were looking a night away for some chill out time. I have to say the staff are excellent very pleasant and corteous from the cleaning staff to the restaurant staff nothing is too much. The leisure facilities are second to none and there is a good mix of adult and kids time, which is great if you're just looking to relax. Plenty of food and tastes great. Definately well worth a visit we will be staying again.

• Stayed November 2013
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Kimmi1000,

Thank you for your very kind comments and recommendation following your most recent stay.

Customer feedback is very important to us. Thank you in particular for highlighting how friendly and courteous the staff are - we work hard to meet all our guests needs and it is always nice when that is acknowledged!

I am glad you enjoy your stays at Glenavon and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Recently attended a wedding in the hotel and stayed over. Check in was very quick and our room was very big and modern so absolutely no complaints.

Breakfast the following morning was superb and big portions.

Not forgetting the wedding where the food was delicious.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank irish_lad84
Dear Irish_lad84

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent visit and overnight stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed the wedding you attended especially the food!

It is always good to hear that our guests are happy with the customer service and facilities we offer.

Rehoboth, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We didn't stay here, just came for dinner, but it was wonderful. We were staying in the Sperrins and a relative from Fintona suggested we meet here for dinner since it was an "in between point "for us. We could not have been more pleased with the selection. I am a vegetarian and had grilled polenta with lentils, wild mushrooms and hazelnuts in a black berry sauce! I think this is one of the best meals I had in our two week trip to Ireland, and we ate out a lot! Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear yogiglo,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your recent meal in the Cellar Restaurant.

Both Kitchen and Restaurant staff are delighted to hear that your vegetarian dish was the best meal you enjoyed during your 2 week stay in Ireland - that is a wonderful compliment!

We hope you had a wonderful visit to Ireland - we are delighted we could play some part in providing the hospitality that Ireland is famous for worldwide!

Paula Wilson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cookstown
Tullylagan Country House Hotel
#1 of 6 in Dungannon
Silverbirch Hotel
Silverbirch Hotel
#1 of 3 in Omagh

Been to Glenavon House Hotel? Share your experiences!