“Stayed here for a family wedding, the staff were great”

Glenavon House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cookstown
“Stayed here for a family wedding, the staff were great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

From the moment we arrived to this hotel the staff were superb, they kept the restaurant open for us as we were late arriving, they couldn't do enough everyone. The reception staff were always on hand to deal with any queries. The bedrooms are lovely and spacious with a good shower. The wedding reception was brilliant with 2nd and third helpings and the venue was so lovely.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Shelly101,

Thank you very much for your kind comments following your recent stay.

We are delighted that the bedrooms and the other general hotel facilities were so well received by your party. We are glad you all had a great day at the wedding and enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd helpings!

We are particularily pleased with your very kind comments about the staff - they work very hard to meet every guests' needs and I am delighted that you have mentioned their efforts to accommodate your late arrival in the restaurant.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you back at some time in the future.

Paula Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I went here on 2nd April 2013 as we were passing through Cookstown and stopped off for food.

Definitely my most favourite place I have eaten in. I ordered prawn cocktail for started, fantastic and good portion, steak for main, cooked to perfection (medium - rare), and I can't resist banoffee, it was heaven on a plate, massive portion (could not finish it), two small banana fritters, a shot glass of warm melted chocolate, a dollop of fresh cream and a scoop of ice cream, dear me, it was so nice.

I honestly recommend this place for food, the inside looked lovely as well, very well presented.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Lisat102,

Thank you for your very kind compliments following your visit to the restaurant on 2/4/13. I am glad that your visit was a complete success. It was very good of you to take the time to post your review and we hope to welcome you back in the future for similar, successful outcomes!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I have seen the rooms in this hotel but not stayed in one of them, they are tastefully decorated,with large elegant head boards that rally make the room feel luxurious. I have been at a few weddings at this hotel and,the,food was not as expected. The restaurant is in a lovely surrounding and staff are friendly, quick and efficient, food in the restaurant is ok. I would recommend for people to stay here but I would not recommend weddings here as a few that I have attended were not as nice as other hotels in cookstown and surrounding venues.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Adam D

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel.

I am glad to hear that you are impressed with our bedrooms and restaurant and disappointed to learn that you wouldn't recommend the hotel for weddings. We have an excellent reputation for Weddings and offer some great packages. If you are considering getting married and would like to discuss your wedding and the packages available we would be delighted to go through everything step-by-step as it is difficult to address vague comments such as your own in any great detail.

Yours faithfully,

Southsea, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

What A Great Hotel ,We Have Been Going To The Glenavon For 7 Years Now And The Staff Always Remember Us Every Year .They Are That Good They Even Sorted Out My Daughters Wedding Cars A Few Years Ago ,Because She Forgot To Order Them In Her Dizziness.
Rooms ,Food ,Drink Brilliant .
Leisure Centre Great ,Pool , Gym .Clean And Tidy
Already Booked For Next Year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Greg T

Thank you so much for your very kind comments. We are delighted to hear that you enjoy yourselves so much that you continue to return year after year! It's great when the staff's hard work is recognised in such a nice way so thanks again for taking the time.

Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

A whole squad of my family stayed at the Glenavon over a period of three day for a family wedding. Every single member of staff was fantastic - nothing was any trouble. Accommodation was very well appointed,comfy bed, power shower, big flat screen tv. I would certainly stay again and recommend it to friends. We had five children with us and they treated them like adults.

Room Tip: Get a room in the new part - much bigger.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Irisheyes 1954

Thank you for your very kind comments following your recent stay.

We are delighted that your family wedding was a memorable event and that your group were happy with their accommodation, the facilities and especially the service. The staff work very hard to meet everyones needs and it's great when their hard work is acknowledged in such a way.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Glenavon at some point in the future and thank you for taking the time to post your review!

Paula WIlson
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Lovely welcoming staff, were even going to go out of there way and get me a sandwich made for breakfast as I was leaving before breakfast was served but as I checked in late and the cheff was about to leave I declined there kind offer. Would definitely stay again.
Ben.a.appleby
(Ness furniture)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear BenA

Thank you for taking the time to post your review - we are, needless to say, delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am particularily pleased that staff went that little bit further to ensure you didnt leave on an empty stomach! Sometimes a little gesture like that can mean so much so I thank you for sharing that with us!

Looking forward to wecolming you back

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night on business.

Staff at reception and in the restaurant were very friendly and helpful.

Room was average size but well appointed and very comfortable. The bed was a bit too soft for me, but that's a personal preference. Bottled water was available in the room. There didn't seem to be a safe there for use.
The bathroom was a good size but did not have a bath, only a shower (which was very powerful).

I ate dinner in the restaurant and it was very good quality. Service was attentive and quick.
Breakfast is self-service, except for tea/coffee. I ordered poached eggs, instead of the fried available at the buffet service, and found the service to be slow.

I wasn't too keen on the corridors to the bedrooms. They are very narrow and have far too many doors along the way.

I didn't use the spa / leisure facilities during my stay so can't comment on these.

Overall, I was happy with the hotel and would return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank XshellyX
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear XShellyx,

Thank you very much for your very kind comments following your stay in the hotel recently. We are delighted with your positive comments regarding the accommodation, food and service received. I have to agree with you about the narrow corridors in the older part of the hotel - the legacy of an architect with not much imagination me thinks!!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and hope you will have the opportunity then to experience the excellent leisure facilities here.

Paula Wilson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cookstown
Tullylagan Country House Hotel
#1 of 6 in Dungannon
Silverbirch Hotel
Silverbirch Hotel
#1 of 3 in Omagh

Been to Glenavon House Hotel? Share your experiences!