“Excellent Staff”

Glenavon House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cookstown
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I had a business event here recently and every one of the staff in this Hotel were friendly accommodating and nothing was too much trouble. I would whole heartedly recommend this Hotel for a business trip or a leisure trip. We had a meal in the hotel restaurant the night before the event and the service again was top notch and the food was beautiful. The leisure facilities are modern and the pool was spotless. The reception staff were very welcoming and a special mention to Ros and Eimear who deserve cake for being so helpful !!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Shaun K

Thank you for your very kind comments and also for sharing your birthday cake with Ros and Eimear!

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and were so happy with the accommodation facilities, the leisure centre, the food and especially the staff!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel and thank you again for taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

The staff are very friendly and accommodating. The spa was a great escape after the pressures of a busy day. We went mid week and were two of only about 10 people staying there. and so had the place to our selves mostly. I can imagine it would get a bit crowded once a lot of guests arrived and they have the capacity of accommodating a great many people. The steam room and sauna would get a bit claustrophic if there were many more folks arriving. The pool is a good size and there is an adjustable temperature shower pool side.

The room we had was spacious as was the ensuite and the shower was an older model but really good power.

We found the overall decor a little dated but the staff were very friendly and accomodating.
There was good signage for the fire exit and procedure and over all we enjoyed our stay.

on the down side the electrical items in our room had not been tested since March 2011 and we were disappointed with the meal we had in the restaurant. The soup was basic and our main meal was dry. We also had a lot of misunderstanding with the waiting staff. on two occassions we were brought the wrong dish and these dishes later appeared on our bill.
On the positive side we did receive the correct dish at the end of the course and the manager did not charge us for that dish

At breakfast the staff were all very friendly, going out of their way to greet us and the self service hot breakfast was basic but cooked and kept well.
I would definately stay at the hotel again for a business stop over however I would eat my evening meal elsewhere.

Room Tip: the rooms overlooking the river were spacious and not over looked.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Tina4009,

Thank you for your kind comments following your recent stay.

I am sorry that there was some confusion about your side orders & that your meal service was not up to our normal high standard - I can assure you that this will addressed during staff training. I hope that the next time you stay you will dine with us and comment favourably afterwards!

I am glad you enjoyed the use of Club Riveira during your stay. It is a super facility, surprisingly often under utilised by our guests!. The staff will be delighted with your positive comments about them!

Thanks again for taking the time to review the hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I stayed here on business in early February. I spend 4 weeks of the year in Northern Ireland. Cookstown is central and close to my customers so it is a good location. Last time I stayed here there was a problem with the wireless internet (from memory it is serviced by Bitbuzz) and again I was told there was no wireless internet available in the rooms. Whether it is coincidence or an ongoing problem (I have a feeling it is the latter), it needs to be sorted out because if the hotel wants mid-week business trade this is essential. I was very disappointed as I need to catch up with e-mail every night. If I stay here again I will get a cast iron guarantee when I make the booking that the internet is working. It did work in the lobby but I did not want to spend several hours crouched over a coffee table down there.
I ate in the bar and the food is OK. The menu is a little bit bland in my opinion but that is a personal choice. I had steak and baked potato. For some reason they brought 2 baked potatoes. One would have sufficed. For the hotel I think they think customer satisfaction is about putting a large portion in front of someone.
I believe the hotel's main source of revenue is weddings and judging by the other reviews they focus a lot of attention into that and clearly they are very good at it.
The rooms are clean and the bed comfortable so I slept well. I was initially put in the hotel annex 3 floors down and in a family room with 5 beds in it (also a right trek from reception), but it was a bit creepy so I asked to be moved above reception which is closer to reception and the bar, and that was fine.
If they sort out the internet I would stay here again, but I do think they should improve the menu.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear PhilExport,

I was very sorry to learn that your overnight stay was marred by the lack of Internet service to the rooms. We have indeed been having some problems with it recently and thankfully Bit Buzz along with their colleagues in BT were able to establish some service for us in the public areas. Whilst we fully accept that this is not ideal, we did feel it was preferable to no service at all!

I can’t really comment on the state of the internet service during your previous overnight stay 6 months ago but as with all technology we do on occasions have difficulties. Having just endured 48 hours of no internet service at home I can fully appreciate your frustration!

I was disappointed to learn that you found the food in the bar bland – it is unfortunate that you did not bring this to our attention at the time when we would have been in a position to offer an alternative. The menu changes regularly including many seasonal offerings – if you like a steak can I recommend McAtamneys Medallions of Beef with Red Onion Marmalade, Blue Cheese Croute and a mini bucket of chips? Very tasty!

Thank you for your kind comments about the accommodation. I am glad the receptionist was able to accommodate your request to be moved to a smaller room.

I trust that any return visit to the hotel will have a more satisfactory outcome. Unfortunately there are no guarantees in life and whilst we can take every step open to us to ensure there is no recurrence with the internet problem – I am sure you will appreciate ultimately we are at the mercy of external agencies over whom we have no control.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed January 16, 2013

The Glenavon hosted my surprise 40th birthday back in December. We were in Bistro Vino and had the most wonderful lunch. The food was absolutely delicious and the service was second to none. The private room is perfect for any special event. I had the best birthday ever. Thanks to all the kitchen, waitress staff and the management. I hope to celebrate there again!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Dear Terry_Donnelly

Thank you so much for your very comments following your 40th birthday party in the hotel in December.

The kitchen staff in particular are delighted that you mentioned them - they are usually forgotten because they are not seen as much as the waitresses / managers.

It was lovely to meet your wife and son and to see your mum, Clare & family again. I have to say the years are treating you well - you don't look at day over 30!!

Looking forward to seeing you all again soon.

Paula

Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for the first time 11 January 2013. Family of five - We booked at the end of Nov 2012 and were allocated an excellent family room with plenty of space. Enormous bath room with excellent shower facilities. The pool and other facilities ie steam room, sauna and hot tub were great and clean. The pool was great and the kids loved the floats provided. Food in the Galley grill bar was great and value for money. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gillianmarycairns

Dear Gillianmarycairns,

Thank you for your very kind comments about the hotel and the it's staff in your recent review.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including the food, the large family room and of course the lesiure facilities. I have to agree with you they are an excellent way to entertain the children! The staff work very hard to meet all our guests requirements and they will be delighted to learn of your comments.

Thank you for taking the time to write the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel. Remember to keep an eye on our website www.glenavonhotel.co.uk for details of our special offers!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had our wedding reception at the hotel on 23rd April 2010 and it was fantastic! Right from the point of booking everything was first class. The staff were on hand for any queries and very accommodating with any changes/special requests and we knew we were in experienced safe hands.
On the day we were treated like royalty. The service and quality of the wedding meal & buffet was exceptional. We had a few guests with severe allergies who were very well catered for and this was done without any need for reminding from ourselves.
The honeymoon suite we stayed in was lovely too as was our breakfast delivered to the room the following morning.
I would have paid a great deal more for the service we got... the wedding package was very good value and I've been to much more expensive venues that simply were no match for the glenavon.
We loved it and so did our guests. Only one small niggle was that they forgot out complementary meal voucher for our anniversary but would still highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012

Dear MrsG201

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your wedding and for your very kind comments therein.

My apologies for the confusion regarding the voucher - we stopped issuing these at the time of the wedding as the happy couples were often heading off on honeymoon and were losing them!We wait until the Bride and Groom contact us as the anniversary approaches (as the addresses have often changed from the time of the wedding) and then issue the voucher.

If you contact reception we will be happy to issue the voucher albeit belatedly!

Thanks again for your lovely comments, I am glad you have such fond memories of your big day at the Glenavon!

Best Regards

Paula WIlson

Reviewed January 8, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for the first time 29th December. We booked at the end of October and were allocated excellent family rooms with plenty of space. The pool area was great and the kids loved the flippers and floats provided! Food was excellent and given it was such a busy night it arrived promptly and the service was first class. We were pleasantly surprised that there was a band playing after dinner "Bits and Pieces" they played a wide selection of music and the atmosphere was friendly and fun. Would recommend this hotel to all and especially those with kids. The receptionist Oonagh and the night porter Jim and Kieran could not have done enough for us. Thanks for a great stay hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear SmythFamily_33,

Thank you for your very kind comments following your stay on December 29th. The staff work very hard to meet the needs of all our guests and it's a great morale boost when a guest takes the time to acknowledge that. I am sure Oonagh, Jim and Ciaran will be delighted that you mentioned them in particular.

Thank you for taking the time to write the review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Glenavon at some time in the future!

Paula Wilson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cookstown
Tullylagan Country House Hotel
#1 of 3 in Omagh
Galgorm Resort & Spa
Galgorm Resort & Spa
#1 of 6 in Ballymena

Been to Glenavon House Hotel? Share your experiences!