“Great get-away!”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Cookstown
Donaghadee, Northern Ireland
“Great get-away!”
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My friend and I stayed here for one night and all I can say is that we did not want to leave. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Our room was spotless (as was the rest of the hotel) and very plush. We stayed in one of the larger double rooms and were very impressed by the size of the room/bathroom. We had dinner at the Cellar restaurant and found the whole experience a very pleasant one. We even had the extra bonus of a live band for entertainment. The pool was a great way to spend a Monday morning, along with the hot tub and steam room. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and really hope to return again soon. Well done to all staff.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Paulafrawilson, Owner at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2011
Dear Casajanah,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us recently! Thank you for taking the time to write this review and for your very kind comments!

Paula Wilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Went to a wedding a few weeks back. Food was nice but the waitresses seemed to be older ladies who could do with learning a bit of manners. We sat twice waiting on 2 seperate courses and we kept getting blanked and they were putting plates on empty places instead of seats with people. They were'nt putting the plates down in any kind of order they were putting them here there and anywhere.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Joanne D
Paulafrawilson, Owner at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Dear Joanne,

I am very disappointed that the standard of service you experienced was not up to our normal high standard. As no complaint was made on the day to the Banqueting Manager, I would be grateful if you could contact me directly to discuss the matter enabling me to identify those involved and arrange for some more customer care training!

Ireland
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We stayed in Glenavon last night for a function. We had now long checked in when a lady arrived to see if our bedrooom was serviced properly. All was well. The food was lovely at the function and was plentiful. The trio of desserts were brilliant. Again the breakfast this morning was lovely and fresh. Well done Glenavon.

Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank debbymark
Paulafrawilson, Manager at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear debbymark,

Thank you for your very kind comments following your stay at the hotel recently.

We always appreciate our guests taking the time to review our facilities and service and hope that any future visits to the hotel will be as enjoyable as your most recent one!

Paula WIlson
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 12, 2011

visit the American Folk Park and the Linen Green centre

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tricia63
Paulafrawilson, Owner at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
Dear Tricia63,

Thank you four kind comments following your stay - it was good of you to take the time!

Reviewed July 27, 2011

Stayed for a Fri & Sat night - part of their Summer Sizzler special.
First thing that impressed was the room service menu - prices were very reasonable, even a full btl of wine @ 12.95
The cellar restaurant (recently given a full face lift) offers a restaurant setting with bar food prices, we had a full meal with wine (and a pint), our grandson of 12 had his soup, burger & chips + coke - all for £47.00 - great value with good service to boot.
I was a bit wary after reading a post re taking your own alcohol in, we like a nightcap before retiring so we took 2 drinks up from the bar to our room and took our nightcap from our own little btl - there were no alchohol detectors in the room :)
People smoking in the rooms must be a problem - there are many signs re not smoking and the strange notion of 'fines' if caught - very unusual.
This is a good hotel - we only encountered well trained and polite staff, breakfasts are good, rooms are larger than most Dublin hotels - we would be happy going back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peteram
Paulafrawilson, Owner at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2011
Dear Peter,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the hotel and we are delighted that you had the opportunity to experience our new look restaurant and prices!

We really don't mind the "night-cap" - it's when guests bring in the off licence that we tend to get excited! You're very astute - we did have a problem with guests smoking after the legislation was introduced but the fines have worked and by and large it is rarely a problem at all now.

Thank you for your very kind comments and taking the time to write your review.

Dromore, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2011

I normally don't complain but this was bad!!!!!!!!!! – UPDATED REVIEW AFTER HOTEL SLANDER AGAINST ME.
NOTE: Any trip advisor readers can view my previous posts for other hotels and find I am an honest and highly rated trip advisor reviewer – I speak as I find do now lie or exaggerate any of my comments so this is an honest review of my experience.

Firstly on check in - check in receptionist no polite welcome to hotel etc, when she seen our hen t-shirts she assumed we were just there to wreck about and get drunk in sense - sorry but we paid over £400.00 and expected better than this. On being given our rooms keys and rudely asked for a credit card for damages and smoking in rooms as security we headed up to our rooms -more problems. - HOTEL CLAIMS I WAS GREETING CHEERFUL WITH HERE COMES THE BRIDE - I was the bride and this definitely did not happen it must have been the other hen

What kind of hotels checks guests into rooms when they are not even ready, we arrived at 3.00 which is check in time and found 2 of our bedrooms lying open, rooms dirty and not even made up. 2nd issue with rooms was we booked 3 twin rooms (I HAD EMAIL CONFIRMATION SHOWING THIS) but yet some how we ended up with 2 doubles and 1 twin - no one at reception was able to help apart from offer 2 twins rooms and opposite ends of the hotel as if a group of hens really want to be spilt –THE HOTEL ADMITTED THIS FAULT AND THINK IT IS SETTLED NO OFFER OF APOLOGY WHEN WE WERE THERE THOUGH

After having to leave all our valuables etc in the one room that was actually ready (note no safes in rooms for valuables) we headed to the pool, signs etc saying no shaving etc in steam rooms really do not give a good impression around the pool, makes it seem really cheap and dirty – HOTEL CLAIM THIS IS FOR HEALTH AND SAFETY FOR GOV BUT NO OTHER HOTELS I HAVE EVER STAYED IN DO THIS AND STILL PASS H&S

When we returned upstairs after the pool rooms where ready this time so we were able to get ready and go for dinner, will compliment you there that the food was lovely. – Hotel was made aware of this.

After dinner we returned to one of the rooms to get ready for Sense, however at around 10.00 we returned to my room (yes it was my hen night something we spent alot of money and time planning to be enjoyed and relaxed on) and found my bedroom door lying wide open and tea items spilt all over my floor, needless to say your duty managers attitude was a disgrace. I was in tears that someone had been in my room, 2 girls had to spend the night in it after someone had been in it, luckily no money or cameras were taken - hence why you need safes in your rooms. Your duty manager just made out we were a hen party it was our fault we must have done this or mustn't have closed door etc - totally disgusted – YES ONE GIRL DID GET WORKED UP AND CURSE AT THE MANAGER BUT IT WAS MY HEN I WAS IN TEARS AND SOMEONE HAD BEEN IN MY ROOM!!! Anyone would be cross and upset if this happened them. (SHE SAYS NO-ONE ELSE CAN ENTER ROOMS WITH OUT THEM KNOWING – SORRY BUT I HAVE WORKED IN 4 STAR N.IRELAND HOTELS AND KNOW THIS CAN HAPPEN AND HAS)

Later that evening after Sense we returned to our rooms and found another 1 of our room doors lying open again - luckily again nothing was taken - did not think there was any point in mentioning again as it would have been the same duty manager with the bad attitude.

On check out the following morning - reception poor yet again, no asking how was your stay, was everything okay, no apology –HOTEL CLAIMS WE WERE ASKED IF EVERYTHING WAS OK AND SAID ONE GIRL THREW THE KEYS AT HER AND WENT ON OUT WITH BAGS RATTLING – sorry but I was the girl and hen that give the keys back – I handed her the cards saying we are checking out rooms (the 3 room numbers) and SHE JUST TOOK THEM – we got out to cars and I was annoyed and about to go back into complain only one of our cars had a nail through the tyre so had to go get it sorted.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone - extremely poor customer service & lack of any concerns guests have !!!!!!

AFTER COMPLAINING TO THE HOTEL AND THEM ACCUSING ME OF UNACCEPTABLE SLANDERING OF THE HOTEL AND ITS STAFF THEY HAD THE ABSOLUTE CHEEK TO IMPLY THAT WE (ME AND MY HENS) MAY HAVE BEEN UP TO SOMETHING MORE SINSTER – SORRY PAULA WILSON (OWNER OF THE GLENAVON) I AM DISGUSTED THAT SOMEONE IN YOUR AUTHORITY AND STATURE IN THE HOTEL WOULD COME OUT WITH SUCH SLANDEROUS REMARKS AFTER I HAVE QUERIED YOU TWICE ON THIS COMMENT AND I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE ANY EXPLAINATION OF WHAT YOU ARE IMPLYING BUT YOU HAVE STILL WENT AHEAD AND POSTED IT ON TRIP ADVISOR - I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO HIDE OR GAIN FROM MY REVIEW AND I WILL ALSO LET OTHER REVIEWS/READERS MAKE THEIR OWN JUDGEMENT.

Room Tip: demand what you booked for ask for a refund and go somewhere else
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank wilson139
I am more than happy that my initial investigation dealt with the allegations as outlined in the email received on June 13th and also posted to Trip Advisor at that time. I have once again outlined below the outcome of that investigation into the various "issues" raised at that time, many of which were unfounded and without merit. Those of which were accepted, apologies were offered.

Your latest allegations include " AFTER I HAVE QUERIED YOU TWICE ON THIS COMMENT AND I HAVE YET TO RECEIVE ANY EXPLAINATION" (sic) - I believe that my email of June 21st reiterated that in my opinion I had dealt with all matters raised in your original email with apologies where appropriate. At this point in time I also stated that I did not believe there was anything to be gained by entering into further discussions on these matters. I highlighted that I had addressed what was without doubt the most serious issue, that is, the alleged entry of your room(s) by person(s) unknown which we now know was most definitely not the case- despite this you then introduced a "what if " theory involving items which had they have been taken from your room, would have entirely been the responsibility of the person who didn’t close the door properly! I also advised that if every other matter was as accurately reported / conveyed as this, that you could perhaps appreciate my sceptism about other matters which appear at this time to differ significantly from the witness statements, computer downloads and cctv available.

My original response to allegations / complaint of June 13th was as follows:

Firstly I have spoken to both receptionists who were on duty at your check in and reviewed the cctv footage available to me of this event. The receptionists both said ( during separate but consecutive meetings ) that during check in you were welcomed with “Here comes the bride” not in a derisory manner which you have suggested we treat hen parties but in a friendly, joking manner. They said the group were very friendly and that there was a great deal of laughter and smiling – this is very obvious from the cctv which I used to verify the receptionists statements. The receptionists admired your tee – shirts and discussions took place regarding which menu you would choose for your meal inclusive package. A copy of the dinner menu was handed over ( again I was able to verify this with cctv ) and a table was booked in the restaurant for your group of 7 as one of your party was not staying. With regard to the credit card request, both receptionist dispute that this was requested in a rude fashion in fact both said that after it was indicated that the details were on our system, they checked and couldn’t find any note of the card details - the receptionist then said that she was really sorry but they didn’t have it and she needed the card to check your group into the system. One of your guests asked another guest why was that and the other guest replied in case you cause any damage whereupon one of the receptionist said that’s right or if you smoked in the room it would be used too.

I can only apologise that two of your rooms were not completely serviced – my understanding is that due to late check outs the housekeepers were waiting on more laundry to make up the beds and this should not have happened. Likewise your request for twin rooms should have been met and I understand when this was brought to the attention of one of the receptionists she offered to move the affected members of your party but felt it prudent to advise prior to that of the distance between the rooms. She is still awaiting a reply to that offer. We do not have safes in the rooms a fact which is clearly outlined in our guest information booklet in addition to the fact that valuables can be stored at reception in the safe deposit boxes. Given your interest with safes as noted in a previous trip advisor report, I am surprised that you did not check on booking when we would have been happy to advise you of this fact.

All signs around the pool area including the “no shaving in the steam room” are to meet various health and safety requirements as agreed with local Environmental Health department. I can assure you that Club Riviera is neither cheap nor dirty - a fact which I am sure most of our several hundred private members would be willing to confirm.

I am glad you enjoyed your dinner – I can only assume the service was also satisfactory as no comment was made regarding it.

I was gravely concerned about your allegation that room 6 had been entered whilst you were at dinner or indeed drinking in room 10 after dinner. I have had both the locks of room 6 and room 10 checked for tampering and also had the information which the electronic key card system can provide us downloaded and examined in detail. This report has clearly indicated that no-one other than the guest card holder entered either of these rooms after they were checked by the head housekeeper at 16.04 ( rm 6 ) and 16.10 ( room 10 )until Room 6 was opened at 11.53am on Sunday morning and room 10 at 15.15 on Sunday afternoon by the cleaners to service the rooms.

After one member of your party who was admittedly somewhat intoxicated accused the receptionists of letting someone into the room, the Duty Manager made his way to the room. In the corridor he met the housekeeper who said everything was alright, she had cleaned it up
when one member of your party shouted down the corridor “It’s not -- ok!” James’ efforts to explain that keys from previous guests deactivate at 12 noon on departure day and his checking of the door obviously went unnoticed / ignored.

It would appear that the Duty Manager and the evening receptionist were quite correct when they suggested that perhaps the door hadn’t been closed properly when you left the room earlier in the evening. This then allowed some “mischief making” to take place. Whilst all these doors are fitted with self closers it is the responsibility of the person leaving the room to ensure that the room door is securely closed.

With regard to your check out – the receptionist was in the office behind reception when she heard bottles rattling and went out to the desk to see 4/5 of your party had already left the main foyer and another girl who was walking towards the door said we were just leaving our keys there – Ann said thank you very much and this girl followed the others outside.

I have acknowledged and apologised for the shortcomings which I accept were as a result of mistakes made by staff ( rooms not being correctly allocated or completely serviced prior to check in)

However it is obvious from my investigations that all allegations made are not as they were first reported and whether this misinterpretation is due to amount of alcohol consumed or perhaps something more sinister, it is unacceptable that the staff of this hotel have been slandered in such a way.

Given the incontrovertible evidence available to me, I am confident that all was not as initially communicated to me by email on Monday 13th June or to Trip Advisor guest reviews.

too will post this reply on Trip Advisor and leave the readers to reflect on why that may be so.

Yours faithfully,

Ayrshire
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I have stayed at the Glenavon a few times on business, but i'm writting this as a review for both business and a family break.

First of all if you have more than 2 children you sometimes find it difficult to find rooms that accomadate more than that, well problem solved the family rooms have 1double and four singles in them (at least the one we had) and there not squeezed in the room was large and overlooked the river. You have a nice big tv with freeview.

There is free wifi throughout the hotel and you get free use of the pool and gym, the meals at night are lovely, and a full irish in the morning if you so desire.

Will definetly be back with business and family highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Paulafrawilson, Owner at Glenavon House Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Dear Dougstar,

We're delighted to hear that you have been more than happy during a number of stays at the hotel and particularily thank you for acknowledging the provisions made for families. We have a number of family rooms available ranging in size from a double with 1 single, double with 2 singles & double with 4 singles as well as cots for our very small guests!

I hope that any future trips are as enjoyable as your previous experiences! Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Paula Wilson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cookstown
Tullylagan Country House Hotel
#2 of 6 in Dungannon
Apparo Restaurant & Hotel
Apparo Restaurant & Hotel
#1 of 1 in Draperstown

Been to Glenavon House Hotel? Share your experiences!