Royal Hotel
$146
Agoda.com
Apparo(Draperstown)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmain streetafternoon teasuperior roomgreat foodsunday carverysteakmixed grillon arrivalvery friendly and helpful stafffew monthsfriendly hotelulster fryfew drinkskeep up the good workvisited this hotelno hesitation in recommendingturkey dinner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2014

My self and my brother have just enjoyed a wonderful few days in Cookstown N.Ireland.
There where several hotels which offered us a great stay but we plumbed for The Royal Hotel.
The hotel is idealy situated in the centre of the town and offers first class accomodation without
any frills at very competitive rates and the food was excellent the staff where willing to help in any querry that we might have.
It was perfect for expoloring the local area which has a lot to offer for any generation and the wonderful craic.

We will be back next year for the "Big breakfast"

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Stayed for a one night break found the hotel lovely (even tho I heard different) the staff were mostly friendly esp the girl that checked us in she couldn't have been more helpfull . they don't have a lift but have installed a chair lift and was easy enough to manage it . the rooms were small but clean and comfortable . the food was lovely and a good size portion and very reasonably priced will deff b back .

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Alison D
Reviewed June 11, 2014

The staff were friendly and polite and accommodating enjoyed my stay here. Would stay again no problems big breakfast included in price. They contacted taxis and recommended places to see and things to do. They don't rush you out of your room in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank jmanji1
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The Royal Hotel has a very nice lobby and lovely dining room. The food is quite good and the service is excellent. The hotel is just down the street from the bus station and a block from the main street.
The small single room that I had looked over the flat roof and some discarded bathroom equipment resting there...not so nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We stayed here for one night on business, our office having arranged for us to stay here to give us parking for our van, a good night's sleep and some breakfast before our early start.

Firstly on arrival we were told that while they could unlock the gate to the little alley to park our van, they wouldn't recommend it as it is right outside the nightclub. The receptionist pulled a face at the potential safety of the van in that location, so we left it on the road outside the hotel, thinking it's not particularly safer in either place but at least there it's less hassle to get to it.

On arrival in our rooms I found mine had been recently decorated, which is nice except not at all to my taste but that wouldn't matter as long as it was comfortable and clean. The bed was fairly comfortable, but the room still felt unclean, particularly as it stank of drains. The others in my group reported their rooms did not look like they had been decorated for many many years, with loose fittings and tired old furniture.

We failed to find anywhere in the town to eat for the evening so ended up back in the hotel pub. The food was mediocre and overpriced, and the staff looked miserable. I don't blame them... if every member of staff is miserable looking then surely something is wrong with the employer.

During the night I was woken up by a disgustingly loud digital alarm clock going off at 1 am. I actually thought at first that it was the fire alarm and that I had to evacuate the building. It is not an understatement to say it was terrifying. More on this later...

On check-in the evening we arrived we were asked what time we would like breakfast, and I explained we were leaving early. This would not be a problem the receptionist said and sure enough when we arrived for breakfast the room had clearly just been set up ready for us. The man serving was also miserable, but then it was early, but then it is his job! The breakfast was mediocre.

On checkout I wanted to pay, of course, and a very harassed and surly woman told me this would not be possible as the card machine was not switched on yet. After a lot of sighing and frantically moving random sheets of paper around the counter, huffing and telling me this was not convenient and that the lady the previous night really shouldn't have told us we'd be able to check out at that time ("oh I know who THAT was" the receptionist snapped), eventually we were able to pay and check out and leave. We were late for work.

Absolutely NO apology was given for this situation, I was made to feel it was my fault and the other receptionist's fault and it was all terribly inconvenient for this lady who had only just arrived for work. If she was that harassed on arrival before I even spoke to her, who knows how she would have dealt with the rest of the day. When I mentioned the drain smell, she told me I ought to be grateful I was in a newly decorated room. I told her that when I took a shower, dirty water had flooded back from the overflow and onto my feet. She simply said that shouldn't be the case because it's a new room and nobody else has reported a problem. When I mentioned the alarm clock, and that this should perhaps be checked before new guests checked in, she snapped back that the clock is brand new, again like I should be grateful to have it. To be honest when I'd entered the room I hadn't even noticed it, so why would I know to check it for an alarm?

All of these things I mentioned not as complaints, but as feedback, so that at least the next guest might not have to put up with them, and in turn she wouldn't have to put up with complaints form them, but she seemed to think that my very presence was an irritation and a confrontation. I'm known for being calm and nice to a fault, so really, I can promise I was not looking for a fight here!

I was terribly relieved to leave.

Room Tip: Any room in another hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business