“Terrible food!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Harrow, United Kingdom
“Terrible food!”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Cannot believe the excellent ratings for this place. yes the service was pleasant and the location idyllic. But the food was inedible, my pork was a huge portion of dry, tough meat which I couldn't cut with my knife. Vegetables were tasteless and in no way matched to the meals. My husbands fish lacked taste and texture. The emphasis was on quantity with a total lack of cooking skill or finesse. The meal was overpriced and to add insult only cash was accepted. We will never go back!

Visited June 2012
8 Thank Coffeelover169

Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Big Bill's Bountiful Feast”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The village of LLansteffan has three must visit attractions the castle, the beach for the glorious views and Yr Hen Dafarn. The first two are easily accessed but the third is well worth the effort in making a booking to gain admission. It at first sight seems unassuming, as if you are invading someones front room and joining the family for dinner but dont be fooled this will rate as one of the best dining experiences in the county. The menu is ever changing to coincide with whatever has been caught or trapped and although may seem expensive it is definately value for money, the size of the portions are gargantuan and the taste and flavour are a credit to Bill's culinary skills. The service is of such a calibre as to make you feel at home, and Bill's reputation as a raconteur shines when he has finished in the kitchen and is able to join the diners. Although only open at the weekends it is well worth making the effrot to get a table and enjoy the Big Bill experience.

• Visited May 2012
llanelli wales
“Best kept secret”
Reviewed May 26, 2012 via mobile

Had a lovely family meal, great selection of food, lovely welcome & atmosphere,. Highly recommend

Swansea, United Kingdom
“INCREDIBLE!”
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

Yr Hen Dafarn is THE best kept secret in Wales!

The friends that took us had been before and have always been highly complimentary about this place. That in itself was enough of a reason for me to want to visit Yr Hen Dafarn as they have eaten at some of the best restaurants in Europe - I wouldn't describe them as fussy or difficult to please but they certainly know good food when they see it. Two weeks ago they suggested booking a table for a Saturday evening meal and my wife and I jumped at the chance.

Set in the picturesque village of Llansteffan, Yr Hen Dafarn from the outside would appear to be your average quaint little village pub - the same could be said of the inside. It is cosy - nothing extravagant or high fashion but simple and welcoming. We were greated by a lovely lady and had a drink in the bar area before taking our table. We were handed 4 menus (& a wine lis) and this is where the magic starts! There was a choice of approximately 8 or so starters, 4 or 5 fish courses and 5 or 6 meat courses. That may sound a little limited but they all sound so lovely that you are constantly changing your mind! It is also important to stress that the menu constantly changes.

For starters my wife and my friend's wife order crab, prawn & avocado, I had a smoked fish platter and my friend had lamb spare ribs - they were all amazing but the lamb spare ribs were outstanding!

For our main courses my wife and my friend's wife had roast chicken - it was superb and tasted like chicken used to when I was younger - delicate and delicious not pumped full of water and god knows what else. This chicken was fresh, succulent and superb! The cook (and host) 'Big Bill' even offered them more! But both ladies declined as the portions are plentiful!

My friend had a trio of fish that consisted of Cod, Skate and Bass a la orange. It was a delighted to behold and to eat!

My dish was gargantuan and wouldn't look out of place in front of Desperate Dan! I ordered the trio of Beef which consisted of a very big sirloin steak, a cottage pie and something that I had never tried before called Carbonnade (beef cooked solely in ale) - it was a 10/10 dish! Certainly the best meal I have ever had without a shadow of a doubt. Big Bill is a man who really knows how to cook - I asked for my steak to be blue and it was perfect - the cottage pie was the best I've ever had and the carbonnade was amazing - so in good in fact that I won't be ordering anywhere else for fear that it won't live up to this!

All our main meals were served with fresh vegetables which were delicious - especially the red cabbage and the swede.
For our desserts my wife and my friend's wife had apple & brandy crumble with custard - Superb!

My friend had a cheese board which was excellent and so large that we could have had it between the four of us.

I had Strawberry chessecake - plentiful and delicious!

We drove home to Swansea and talked of nothing else but the meal and when we could return again!

Now - two important details - Yr Hen Dafarn is a cash only establishment and is only open on a Friday and Saturday night.

Yr Hen Dafarn is a hidden gem that serves the best food I've eaten in a very long time. In terms of value for money you pay what you get which top quality food superbly cooked.

I cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough and I'm looking forward to returning sometime soon.

Thank You for a wonderful evening!

4 Thank christian2178
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Awesome food and a Friendly welcome”
Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

We heard great things about here and were certainly not disappointed.
From the off we were given a warm and friendly welcome from both Bill and Judith. They made us feel very welcome and spent the time to answer any questions we had on the menu.
The food was delicious complimented by an exquisite rose wine.
The setting was intimate, warm and relaxed which added to the evening.

I cannot recommend "Big Bills" highly enough.

Thank you both.