“A classy venue in the town centre”
Review of Con Passionata - CLOSED

Con Passionata
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Con Passionata a small place with a big heart!Con Passionata is a modern stylish restaurant situated in Nott Square in the heart of Carmarthen's old town. The kitchen combines the best local ingredients with modern eclectic cooking styles to produce elegant dishes of the finest quality. We are proud to be a Welsh restaurant with talented staff to transform your precious time into an unique dining experience.The atmosphere is warm, informal and inviting for a relaxing dining experience.
West Midlands, United Kingdom
“A classy venue in the town centre”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Had a late lunch on a quiet day in Carmarthen. We were the only diners. Attracted in by their 'special' on a board outside. Cockle and laverbread pasta was excellent. It was so attractive that we took a photo! (Can't remember doing that before), Th e waitress was characterful. Today's young chef (the sous) was introduced to us. A real enthusiast (and wrestling with offers from S. E England). Creme Brulee was delicious - arriving flambe which we hadn't experienced before.
Good coffee and passable house white.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Just what Carmarthen needs!”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had a fabulous meal with friends last night and we'll definitely be going back.
We enjoyed mussels, charcuterie and steaks with a couple of decentaand reasonable bottles of house wine before finishing with a specialty coffee and an excellent sticky toffee pudding. A great addition to Carmarthen!

• Visited June 2013
WALES
“PERFECTLY COOKED FOOD - DELICIOUS!”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Visited with a friend lunchtime. Jug of iced tap water with lemon was much appreciated on a hot day. Chose a glass house white which was very palatable - needless to say we both enjoyed the it. We both chose a starter of honeyed figs with cheese, rocket, Parma ham with pine nuts glazed in syrup. The flavours were amazing - an excellent start to the meal. This was followed by herb-crusted salmon on a bed of veg which included sugar snap peas - my favourite! The salmon was beautifully cooked - the best I have tasted and I have eaten a lot of salmon in various restaurants. Dessert consisted of a creme brûlée and sticky toffee pudding. To be honest we were very satisfied after the starter and mains as the portions were just right. However we managed the puddings which were very good, Marc the chef came over to ask how our meal went and he proved to be an interesting man who seems passionate about food and music! Yes we will return and can recommend you give his restaurant a try. Thanks for a lovely lunchtime experience.

• Visited June 2013
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“What a let down....”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We went here for a group meal, 6 of us, because we had heard good things about the place and hoped to find another great place to eat in Carmarthen town. High hopes that were soon dashed.

It was busy enough for a good atmosphere and we were all up for a great time.

We selected our wine and our starters and mains.

I had gone for the smoked duck (starter) and Steak for the main.

Starters turned up and mine was presented with a lid on it which when you lifted it released smoke for a bit of theatrics. Unfortunately that is where the 'theatrics' ended. The duck and side salad tasted so smokey it was how I would imagine a bomfire would taste. It was so bad that I didn't dare go in for another taste my mouth was like an ashtray. My friend saw that I was not eating my meal and before I could say anything had dived in to taste the duck. She very quickly expelled the duck from her mouth and agreed with me that it was just simply inedable.

When the waitress eventually came to clear the table she did ask if everyone had enjoyed their starter. She could obviously tell from my plate still being pretty much intact that I had not, so I explained to her why I had not eaten it to which she just simply floated of without an apology or statement that she would pass my comments to the chef. Waste of time asking really then. So don't bother.

I had ordered my steak rare, I prefer it medium rare but sometimes find if you ask for this you could end up with medium to well done and I like rare but just hate over cooked steak.

The steak turned up and guess what, it was ' well done ', not something you would expect from a restaurant that claims good food and at over 22 quid for a steak you expect what you order.

The two meals were a disgrace.

The wine which we had had only two bottles of, 'rose', we had gone to order a third, not too many for a party of 6 and considering everyone else in the restaurant seemed to be drinking red or white, we were surprised to then be told that they had run out, seriously, only two bottles of rose on a Saturday night, I have more bottles than that at home.

Dessert came, creme brulee, which I must say was a very nice dessert and full of taste, well done for this.

Cheese board followed which, although had plenty of cheese on it, did lack in the pickle department. We asked if we could have a little more to which we were told they had run out. Again, pickle, run out, the stuff does not go off so get more jars in in advance.

Aside from the dessert the meal was a complete waste of money. The service between plates was long, and I don't normally mind a little wait as we have so much talking going on, but this was way too long.

The lack of rose wine there is no excuse for. Again wine does not go off that quick so get a few more bottles in, you are a restaurant after all and I don't think that we are the only people who drink rose wine.

The meal averaged just over 50 pounds per head, a total waste of money.

If you look on my reviews, and I have quite a few on Tripadvisor now, you will find that in the most we have written lots of good things. For this place that is way to hard to do.

Without doubt we will not be visiting here again in the near future, we will continue our search for better places to eat around the area and be avoiding this one for sure.

It is a real shame because this place has a prime location, a great little building and could be so much more, but I think from the lack of stock we may not see it for much longer. Just from experience.

3 Thank Shelly H
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous!”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have been to Con Passionata on three separate occasions now, once for lunch and two evening meals. Each time was absoulutely faultless. The Salmon on the first occasion was beautifully cooked. The second time I had the lamb which again was gorgeous, and the third time which was on 11th May I had the beef wellington which was stunning! On each occasion the meal came with a selection of vegetables which again are cooked and presented perfectly.
Service is excellent, the decor is lovely and the staff very helpful and accomodating. Well recommended and am already planning another visit!