“Dinner for 2.”
Review of The Angel Vaults - CLOSED

The Angel Vaults
Cuisines: British, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Drinks, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Cafe Bar & Restaurant
Llandeilo, United Kingdom
“Dinner for 2.”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We have eaten here before and had a good experience. This time was no different. A warm welcome from the staff. The menu was interesting with different food to normal. The order was taken and we had some canapes with their compliments. Starter was excellent and the main of beef was delicious. For pudding we opted for the black forest gateux, really nice. Overall a great dining experience. You will see us again.

1 Thank osianrees

Aberaeron
“Average but could have been very good”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We recentlyate here having bought a Groupon voucher for a main meal and a glass of wine.
We didn't opt for a starter but we were offered some very tasty foaccacia before our main meal.
We chose duck as our main - very tasty but there was a distinct lack of vegetables. A friend who happened to join us for a drink wondered whether we were eating a starter when she saw the amount of food on the plate! As we felt we hadn't eaten a great deal, we treated ourselves to a dessert. We were offered a pre- dessert( nice gesture) and the desserts were delicious. Would we return? We certainly wouldn't pay the full price for the main meal. I'm still wondering if we should have had a bowlfull of vegetables. Was there skimping as we were Groupon customers However, I certainly would return for the bread.

• Visited February 2013
AngelVaults, Manager at The Angel Vaults, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear MariAberaeron
Thank you for writing a review all feedback is used by the team as a useful tool to help us to improve. I am so glad you enjoyed our homemade focaccia and our desserts but sorry to hear the mains were not as expected. We have as a team taken your comments on board and increased the size of our portions in our new March menu . I hope we will see you again in the future.
Thank you again for taking the time to write your review.

Swansea, United Kingdom
“Go for the 3 course if you have an average appetite!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I bought this meal deal for 2 through Groupon which included 'fine dining for 2 with a glass of wine'. It was a very cold evening and we had to travel about 40 mins to arrive. Aside from the road works going on in the area we managed to find parking about 5 mins walk away. It was cosy and warm when we went inside downstairs and we were offered to have pre dinner drinks there. We opted to take them upstairs in the main restaurant but on refelction it may have been better to stay downstairs as throughout my meal I felt a constant chill and opted to keep my shawl over me. It may have been because there weren't many people in there but nonetheless it remained uncomfortably cold. We were served home bread with our wine and decided against having a starter so as not to spoil our main meal - mistake....I have experienced many fine dining meals but the portion sizes here were rather disappointing. When I ordered glazed chicken with truffle macaroni etc. I wasn't expecting to be able count on less than 2 hands how many pieces of pasta there would be on my plate (when we got home we were still quite hungry). In spite of this the food was exceptional and we thoroughly enjoyed our meals - my partener having had the sirloin steak. The service was curteous although we did have to wait longer than we thought necessary for our meals in view of the fact that there were only a few diners out that evening. The ladies toilet area was clean, very quaint and well stocked with considerate bit and bobs that ladies may fall short of when out for the evening. The seating upstairs was very nice and offered a view out on to the court yard/square from the impressive windows which was nicely lit up. The extent of meal choices was limited and on the night we attended there was only 5 options for main meals and only 1 vegetarian option. I would recommend this place as the food was so good and if I was in the area I would consider using it again but I certainly would not travel the distance we did just for this experience again.

Dear Cariad 1960
I am glad you enjoyed aspects of your dining experience with us at the Angel Vaults, I am sorry you felt cold upstairs please always ask or let us know as the heating can be adjusted to suit. I am pleased you enjoyed the food and the service but sorry to hear the portions were smaller than expected especially as you waited longer than you should have done. As a team we always discuss the feedback left on trip advisor and with the new March menu we have increased the portion sizes to hopefully avoid anymore disappointment. Thank you for taking the time to write a review as all feedback is a useful tool for us to improve and move forward. I hope you will try us again in the future.

Pembrey, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food;retrograde revamp”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My wife and I have eaten in the Angel Vaults a number of times, both at lunchtimes and in the evening, and have always greatly enjoyed the experience. We went back there yesterday lunchtime with relatives, our first visit since the restaurant had apparently changed hands. The food was still excellent, two of us eating from the special two/three course lunch menu and two opting for the single course option. Crab cake, rillettes, glazed chicken, arancini, and orange and apricot tart all were first class. My brother and his partner's steak sandwiches, with prime quality rare steak, were cooked to perfection they said, something that seldom happens in their experiences elsewhere. Once more the choices of wine remained excellent and all were very reasonably priced.

However, the previously light and uncluttered downstairs lunch area had been revamped since our last visit. Presumably it looked too 'restaurant-like' and put off some customers. But to redesign an area to make it look worse than it did before defies belief. The banqutte seating along one side is too large and too high-backed for the space and stool seating in the middle of the floor looks completely out of place. Decor-wise this room is now a cluttered disaster. What a shame, given how great the food is and how pleasant and efficient the staff are.

• Visited February 2013
AngelVaults, Manager at The Angel Vaults, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Iain F
Thank you for taking the time to write a review we appreciate all feedback, I am really pleased you enjoyed the food and service we provided you and your party and hope to see you again soon. As you mentioned we changed the downstairs to ideally make it less restaurant like to encourage guests wanting to come just for a coffee and cake and to make it more of an informal lounge bar/ day time area. However upstairs has remained unchanged if you would prefer that next time you visit. Thank you again for the review and we look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Top knotch - must be an angel in the kitchen as well”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

On 15th February 5 of us went for an evening meal and we were extremely pleased with all aspects of the restaurant. The restaurant has a young staff but they are very professional but very down to earth and pleasant. Not an extensive menu, but definitely something there to please every palate. The food is well presented and all our party agreed - absolutely delicious. The decor is classy but subtle. We won't hesitate to go there again, only wish it was nearer to us.

1 Thank Jane H