“Pleasant market town with both Welsh and English speakers”
Review of Carmarthen Market

Carmarthen Market
Ranked #9 of 31 things to do in Carmarthen
Mitcheldean, United Kingdom
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 256 helpful votes
“Pleasant market town with both Welsh and English speakers”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Easy to get to via Swansea train-line (means changing trains at Swansea)

Lovely market town with a market full of delightful food smells and stocked with al kinds of things. Interesting back-streets and alleys with plenty of little pubs for a drink or meal.

Lots o f small bistros to eat and also near water/canal/river. From the train station walk over the little bridge into town. Churches and a museum is here and quite abit of Architecture still remains. Enough shops of different sizes and assortments. Great stop- over to Pembrokshsire Coastline and Tenby or on route to Ireland. Carmarthen,A true Welsh Gem.

Visited September 2011
3 Thank Vegetarian4ever

Wales
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 171 helpful votes
“Still worth a visit”
Reviewed October 10, 2009

When I met someone in Cardiff and told them I came from Carmarthen she said "They 've spoilt the market have n't they?" and I had to agree. The market may be modern but it certainly isn't airy on a hot day. When I first visited it I was glad to get out as it was too hot and too crowded as there was not as much room between the stalls as formerly. No room for the farmer's to stop and chat and a real loss of atmosphere. Having said that I must admit that it still has the friendly stall keepers and excellent produce of the old market and is still one of the few places where the welsh language predominates. Nevertheless I am glad that I can access my butcher and other shops without going into the interior market.

1 Thank en08