“Ok but for the price, might have expected better”

and 1 more site!
The Drovers Arms Hotel
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Carmarthen
southampton england
“Ok but for the price, might have expected better”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

The price at gbp 54 per night, isn't cheap for a B and B... Still, it was where I needed to be and options were limited. I booked based on Tripadvisor recommendations and the phone call I made, when I asked specifically whether there was free wifi, and was told there was.
I arrived after a 5 hour journey, very tired and was asked for upfront payment for both nights. No receipt was given for cash payment.
The room was spotlessly clean but, when I went to bed, one of the two twin beds sagged so badly, it felt as if the divan base might be broken. I swapped to the other bed, which was marginally better but still, after two nights of a mattress that I'll bet has never been turned to even out use/wear, I now have a nasty bout of backache! I did put all this into a survey form left for clients.
During the two nights and days I stayed there, the free wifi never worked once, even in the public rooms or bar. Even the hotel bar staff couldn't get it to work and I heard other visitors experiencing difficulties. My only option was to go to the local Caffe Nero, buy food I didn't want so I could use my iPad / Phone.
On plus side, the breakfasts were very good indeed, freshly cooked for each person, very hot and with an excellent range of options. The cleanliness of the accommodation was very good too but, the bar and eating area were very dark and rather gloomy.
Would I stay there again? Probably not. Wish I'd paid the slightly higher price for a better standard a few doors down.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lizzie53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

We have just returned from an overnight stay at the Drovers Arms. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The room was extremely clean and the breakfast was well presented. The only niggle was the tv was in the wrong place so it couldn't actually be watched while in bed. Other than that it was perfect. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013
cardiff
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed to nights and would not hesitate to stay here again. From the moment we entered the staff were friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean and comfortable. Breakfast was plentiful and cooked to order. Location could not have been better, all in all a great stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night,unfortunately it was a Friday night! The music and continuous shouting from the drunken revellers ensured no sleep was had by us until the bar closed, and it closed very late indeed! It was an extremely hot night so the window ( singular) had to be kept open as the room was suffocatingly hot and stuffy, there was no fan available even though we requested one. The room was comfortable and clean, as was the bathroom. Breakfast was very good. It is a good value hotel for the price. If you cannot climb stairs then it is unsuitable for you as there is no lift and no ground floor rooms.

• Stayed July 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had one night at The Drovers Arms, as we had had a long day and needed to stop along the way. We haven't stay at a pub before, so weren't sure what to expect. What we got was a very good welcome, and a lovely clean and neat room. The bathroom was excellent and very clean. The bed was comfortable, and we were pleased with our room. There was a party going on downstairs (it was Fri night), so we were worried it would be a long sleepless evening, but it wasn't too bad (I did bring earplugs, as I take them everytime I travel). I would hesitate if it were a more rowdy crowd. We had to have the window open, as it was hot (July!), but even with it closed, we could hear the music and chatter. Breakfast was excellent. Really pleased with our meal. The staff were very nice and we very much enjoyed our stay, in spite of the worry about the party and noise. Wifi was available in the lounge, which wasn't ideal, but it met our needs. We were pleased that if we were staying in a Camarthen hotel, that we chose the Drover's Arms. We arrived late, so were able to park outside the hotel, and moved our car early in the morning to the car park (pay and display).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bex C
Carmarthen
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Had breakfast here sat 1st June in time to watch first lions match was really tasty fat free generous portion loved the mushrooms with toast and tea or coffee for just £5 highly recommended
Will be watching all matches here to have a breakfast like that put in front of me

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Llantwit Major, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

really cant see what you can fault here especially at the price which includes best breakfast you are likely to get anywhere. its newly decorated , very very clean according to my fussy wife, big white wrap around bath towels even for my body lol.... so friendly and helpful was better than home from home. what a great crowd. will return .beware of the wine as very strong great to get legless. nice location lots of pubs and foody places , chip shop opposite.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank edenvale087
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmarthen
Spilman Hotel
The Ivy Bush Royal Hotel
The Ivy Bush Royal Hotel
#3 of 7 in Carmarthen
Travelodge St Clears Camarthen

Been to The Drovers Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!