“Excellent local museum”

Carmarthenshire County Museum
Ranked #9 of 30 things to do in Carmarthen
More attraction details
Owner description: 50,000 Years of Carmarthenshire history, all in one place.
Reviewed August 8, 2012

An excellent museum with lots of local history. Laid out in galleries, each covering a different time period. Many super displays. Building looks a like drab from the outside, but don't let that put you off. Inside it's a completely different story! Free to visit as well.

A must see for anyone interested in Carmarthen and the surrounding area.

1  Thank Andrew C

Reviewed August 4, 2012

What a super day out - made all the better by the fact that it cost me nothing!!! Now how often does that happen in this day and age? I visited the museum this week with my two sons (8 and 4) and they really enjoyed the experience. We completed a little quiz which my eldest son really enjoyed and we all found the exhibits interesting. I loved the fact that some things had been put there for you to play with - I never thought about showing my kids an old fashioned telephone but they loved it!!! We loved the school and the old Chapel too. Yes there are patches of damp, and there is so much scope for the grounds, coffee area and shop but overall one of the best days out I"ve had with the boys in a long time. Well done to the volunteers who do so well to keep this little treasure open.

1  Thank Rhian O
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We arrived at the museum 45 mins before it was due to close (4.30) so our visit was very rushed. However we plan to return to this gem for a more in depth view. The building is interesting in its own right as it was originally the Bishop's Palace and is set in gardens which you can explore.The displays are of local and social history and I was particularly impressed by the Chapel, the original kitchen, the rooms which had come from a local farmhouse, a 1940's living room, and a schoolroom, but there is much more here to explore.

1  Thank janny888
Reviewed April 7, 2012

I have been to countless museums up and down the country and this museum is easily one of the best. The whole display concentrates on local history, art and social history. Perfectly Laid out with knowledgeable and friendly staff :). The interior chapel & kitchen are worthy of note.g. All I can say you would be doing yourself a disservice if you miss this gem

Reviewed April 7, 2012

We went with our kids aged 4, 8, 12, 15 and 16 and my mum and dad who are in their mid 80's. Everyone loved it - there was so much to see and we could have done with longer than the two hours we spent there.
The staff were lovely and so full of knowledge about the place. They were really good with our children and very chatty. The tea room is lovely and clean and you get a fantastic cup of hot chocolate in there.
The displays are laid out in the rooms of the Bishop's Palace so you get to see the house as well as the exhibits -the kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! Access is really good even for the less able-bodied.
There are lovely walks in the grounds and plenty of parking.
Apparently the museum is struggling for funding right now and it would be a tragic shame if it had to close. If you have a few hours to kill in Carmarthen visit this hidden gem - we loved it!

2  Thank Golwg