“A lovely experience”
Review of Gwili Railway

Gwili Railway
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Take a step back in time at the Gwili Steam Railway, a delightful preserved railway just outside Carmarthen in West Wales. Running steam train services every day of local school holidays and selected days throughout the remainder of the year, this is the perfect trip for all ages to enjoy. Experience a typical country branch line from the 1950s with a stop off at Llwyfan Cerrig Station in a beautiful spot alongside the River Gwili.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stepping back in time on a lovely August afternoon. Fabulous journey through the woods/countryside. Very friendly staff. If you are in this part of Wales I would highly recommend this trip. Reasonably priced. Well done!!

All reviews
"picnic area"
"murder mystery"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I have just come back from an afternoon tea with Gwili Railway. It was an absolutely lovely afternoon, made all the better by the fine weather. We were served scones with jam and cream, along with strawberries, and tea and coffee aboard the train. The scones were absolutely delicious, and we even had second helpings of strawberries. And cream too, although I declined as I already had plenty of cream. We got off by the miniature railway, so we had an extra little train ride for the price of our ticket! :) There was also a food stand there selling burgers, coffee, etc which was good for those who had not had the cream tea.Then we travelled back to Bronwydd and had a look round the shop, which sells a nice little variety of train related items for children and adults alike. There's also a victorian tea room at the station, selling tea, coffee and cakes, which again is nice for those who didn't choose to go for the cream tea on board the train, and also when special events such as the cream tea aren't running. The journey along the river Gwili really is lovely, and there are picninc tables at the other end of the journey, which brings back happy memories of my childhood. My parents and I often travelled on the Gwili Railway train to go for a picnic when I was a child.
I also went on Gwili Railway last year, when I surprised my father with a Father's Day lunch. We had a lovely meal - starter on the way up to Llwyfan Cerrig, main course on the way back to Bronwydd, then back to Llwyfan Cerrig, having pudding on our way back there, then back to Bronwydd, having coffee and mints on our way back there. We also got to go out to stretch our legs during the journey, and made a toilet stop too. It was a very pleasant journey, and the food was delicious. Definitely a wonderful father's day surprise. My father was thrilled to bits. I couldn't think of anything to top that this year, not without spending a fortune!

1  Thank meinirann
Reviewed August 7, 2013

As we visited during a heatwave the steam engine was unable to run owing to the risk of setting scrubland alight which we could understand so the carriages were pulled by an ordinary train. Even though we had a 10% discount we felt we did not get very good value as it was a very short train ride

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Nice little railway, emphasis on little, but well worth a visit. Reasonable fares, nice gift shop, smashing signal box. Tiny museum which is basically one persons collection, however the volunteers here are doing a great job. Nice little ride up the valley and staff approachable and chatty. Good to visit on a rainy day.