“Bikers welcome” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Old Priory Guest House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carmarthen
Old Priory Guest House
Ranked #11 of 23 Carmarthen B&B and Inns
Gloucester, England, United Kingdom
“Bikers welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

As it says "Old Priory" - old fashioned yes, but it was clean, has charm; easily accessible and good value. Has a restaurant and the owner cooks !
Unfortunately I could not stay for dinner, but if the breakfast is anything to go by ( real orange juice and cornflakes and a good breakfast ), then I'm really looking forward to my next visit.
As a biker it was perfect - Phil the owner immediately offered to store my bike in large garage / workshop. With space to change and leave your gear.
The location for me was perfect to use as a base; in town, but quiet and just a small walk to the shops. You felt welcome.
What more could you ask for?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Weymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

We went to Wales for my Stag Weekend to do some of the fantastic outdoor adventure activities in the area (Coasteering etc) and were recommended the Old Priory. Upon arrival we found that we had travelled back in time and discovered we were staying in the 1970's! However, that said, the Guest House was very clean and tidy with a cosy bar area. Phil and his team were very welcoming and the food in the restaurant was excellent and generously portioned.

Staying at this Guest House really contributed to my great weekend away and would definitely stay there again. The only downside for me was that I stayed in a smoking room and next time would ask for non smoking, but that was it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Steve_Weymouth
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Old priory is an excellent value for money accomodation. They decor may be a bit out-dated etc, but the service is friendly, the food is good and the prices are cheap. Priory Guest house even has it's own restaurant attached which means you don't have to go out at night to find dinner, good for us weary travellers! Another positive thing is that they accept debit and credit cards.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Seven of us stayed at the Old Priory this weekend and not one had a bad word to say. If you want friendly helpful staff and a clean bed for the night, followed by a good breakfast then you can't go far wrong with the Old Priory.

It couldn't rightly be described as modern but that added to the charm of the place for me. As long as you don't mind a place being a little rough around the edges, and at this price you can't expect it all, then I could not recommend the old priory more highly. The reception was always friendly, phil opened the bar just for us and kept the pool table out even though it made his day harder in the morning.

The towels were changed daily and beds were comfy and clean. Walls were a bit thin between rooms and I imagine this might bother you if have trouble sleeping but none of our party had any trouble.

Breakfast was well cooked and made to order and phil even noticed that I had not arisen on time and offered to go and give me a knock so I didn't miss out.

i can't remember the last time I felt so welcome in a guest house. The décor might be a bit old fashioned but so is the welcome - warm, accommodating and no-nonsense. If you want somewhere to stay that is cheap, friendly and gets all the important stuff right then choose the Old Priory.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

I spent five nights at this warm and friendly guest house. The accommodation was well appointed and the towels were changed on a daily basis. Breakfast was served on time and staff catered for individual needs and maintained a very cheerful and helpful disposition. A bar and games room complemented the other facilities and it wsa obvious that this family run institution prodes itself on its higjh standards.

As a world traveller I was greatly impressed and would recommend it to anyone seeking a relaxing break in this vicinity.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank David H
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

From the minute I stepped foot in this hotel I knew I was going to hate it. It's old, dusty, cobwebs everywhere, smells like stale smoke and damp. The people that own it are lovely but the place itself is a let down. The walk to the rooms is through to the back of the building through what I'm guessing is a games room which looks more like a dungeon. The rooms are like prison cells, although I imagine prison cells are probably cleaner. There is a sink, bed, dirty old wardrobe, dirty old dressing table and a chair in the rooms. They smell awful and feel dirty. I found what I think was a wasp underneath the radiator that had been there that long it was the same colour as the carpet, which is a dark murky green colour. The rooms are full of spiders, literally every corner of the room had a spider living in it, there was even one in my bed and I almost left the hotel at that point!!!! Oh there is a box TV too. The tea and coffee making facilities are in the corridor which I found strange. The hotel has communal bathrooms which I'm fine with usually but these were smelly and unclean and also covered in spiders. I had room 7 which is next door to the bathroom and I think this is the reason my room smelt funny. Me and the rest if the party had booked 2 nights but couldn't wait to get back home after 5 minutes of being at the old priory. Breakfast is included in the £47 but isn't worth getting up for and I think they should be charging a lot less than £47 for a night here. All in all a horrible place and it's a shame because with a bit more care it could be a pleasant hotel to stay in.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rebecca89jones
Phillip C, Owner at Old Priory Guest House, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the Old Priory.
It is unfortunate that you did not mention the problems to us at the time of your stay. I am aware that you checked in at 2.30pm and would have had adequate time to find more suitable accommodation if you wanted to leave after 5 minuites. The booking of a second night accommodation was only mentioned sometime after checking in. The room in question was used before and after your stay by various guests with no complaints, also no other guests have complained about the shower room mentioned. The bedrooms, corridors and shower rooms were completly redecorated last year and we are a no smoking establishment. The wardrobe and dressing table are old but not dirty. The photo of our games room is on our website and I don't think it looks like a dungeon. We have a kitchen in each corridor for tea and coffee because we find it safer for children with boiling water in kettels in the bedrooms, and there is a plentyful supply of tea, coffee and milk for guests using flasks. We are oftern complimented on our standard of breakfast and cleanliness.
We are not a new modren establishment but we do try to ensure that all of our guests are comfortable.
We apologise for the late response to this review as it has only just come to our attention.
Swansea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Although I only stayed at the Old Priory Guest House for one night, it was enough to know how friendly and comfortable a place it is. There was a bit of a mix up with my booking, as they have yet to move over to an online booking 'reserve with your card details' system, my booking request over the phone was misheard and I was booked in for the night after what I asked for. Thankfully this got fixed quickly and I was given a double room at the rate of a single room, for which I was very grateful.

Despite this, everything else was superb. Breakfast was tasty with very fast service and the room was clean and comfortable (although the television was pretty useless; a small, old CRT that made a horrid high pitch static noise when it was on).

Everything was presented in a way you'd expect from a £100 a night hotel, not a £33 a night Bed and Breakfast, within an old but extremely well kept building which is only five minutes walk from the town center (and a fifteen minute walk to the General Hospital, if you are interested).

My only slight complaint would be the cleaning staff were a bit over zealous in the morning. It almost got to the point where I didn't feel welcome even though it was well before the check-out time of 10 am.

Overall the Old Priory is wonderful, with good food, good beds and great location. I can't recommend it enough, both to the money conscious like me and those looking for pure quality.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo