“Does exactly what it says on the tin - and does it well”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carmarthen
Old Priory Guest House
Ranked #11 of 24 Carmarthen B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Does exactly what it says on the tin - and does it well”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Seven of us stayed at the Old Priory this weekend and not one had a bad word to say. If you want friendly helpful staff and a clean bed for the night, followed by a good breakfast then you can't go far wrong with the Old Priory.

It couldn't rightly be described as modern but that added to the charm of the place for me. As long as you don't mind a place being a little rough around the edges, and at this price you can't expect it all, then I could not recommend the old priory more highly. The reception was always friendly, phil opened the bar just for us and kept the pool table out even though it made his day harder in the morning.

The towels were changed daily and beds were comfy and clean. Walls were a bit thin between rooms and I imagine this might bother you if have trouble sleeping but none of our party had any trouble.

Breakfast was well cooked and made to order and phil even noticed that I had not arisen on time and offered to go and give me a knock so I didn't miss out.

i can't remember the last time I felt so welcome in a guest house. The décor might be a bit old fashioned but so is the welcome - warm, accommodating and no-nonsense. If you want somewhere to stay that is cheap, friendly and gets all the important stuff right then choose the Old Priory.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I spent five nights at this warm and friendly guest house. The accommodation was well appointed and the towels were changed on a daily basis. Breakfast was served on time and staff catered for individual needs and maintained a very cheerful and helpful disposition. A bar and games room complemented the other facilities and it wsa obvious that this family run institution prodes itself on its higjh standards.

As a world traveller I was greatly impressed and would recommend it to anyone seeking a relaxing break in this vicinity.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank David H
Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

From the minute I stepped foot in this hotel I knew I was going to hate it. It's old, dusty, cobwebs everywhere, smells like stale smoke and damp. The people that own it are lovely but the place itself is a let down. The walk to the rooms is through to the back of the building through what I'm guessing is a games room which looks more like a dungeon. The rooms are like prison cells, although I imagine prison cells are probably cleaner. There is a sink, bed, dirty old wardrobe, dirty old dressing table and a chair in the rooms. They smell awful and feel dirty. I found what I think was a wasp underneath the radiator that had been there that long it was the same colour as the carpet, which is a dark murky green colour. The rooms are full of spiders, literally every corner of the room had a spider living in it, there was even one in my bed and I almost left the hotel at that point!!!! Oh there is a box TV too. The tea and coffee making facilities are in the corridor which I found strange. The hotel has communal bathrooms which I'm fine with usually but these were smelly and unclean and also covered in spiders. I had room 7 which is next door to the bathroom and I think this is the reason my room smelt funny. Me and the rest if the party had booked 2 nights but couldn't wait to get back home after 5 minutes of being at the old priory. Breakfast is included in the £47 but isn't worth getting up for and I think they should be charging a lot less than £47 for a night here. All in all a horrible place and it's a shame because with a bit more care it could be a pleasant hotel to stay in.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Rebecca89jones
Phillip C, Owner at Old Priory Guest House, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
We are very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at the Old Priory.
It is unfortunate that you did not mention the problems to us at the time of your stay. I am aware that you checked in at 2.30pm and would have had adequate time to find more suitable accommodation if you wanted to leave after 5 minuites. The booking of a second night accommodation was only mentioned sometime after checking in. The room in question was used before and after your stay by various guests with no complaints, also no other guests have complained about the shower room mentioned. The bedrooms, corridors and shower rooms were completly redecorated last year and we are a no smoking establishment. The wardrobe and dressing table are old but not dirty. The photo of our games room is on our website and I don't think it looks like a dungeon. We have a kitchen in each corridor for tea and coffee because we find it safer for children with boiling water in kettels in the bedrooms, and there is a plentyful supply of tea, coffee and milk for guests using flasks. We are oftern complimented on our standard of breakfast and cleanliness.
We are not a new modren establishment but we do try to ensure that all of our guests are comfortable.
We apologise for the late response to this review as it has only just come to our attention.
Swansea
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Although I only stayed at the Old Priory Guest House for one night, it was enough to know how friendly and comfortable a place it is. There was a bit of a mix up with my booking, as they have yet to move over to an online booking 'reserve with your card details' system, my booking request over the phone was misheard and I was booked in for the night after what I asked for. Thankfully this got fixed quickly and I was given a double room at the rate of a single room, for which I was very grateful.

Despite this, everything else was superb. Breakfast was tasty with very fast service and the room was clean and comfortable (although the television was pretty useless; a small, old CRT that made a horrid high pitch static noise when it was on).

Everything was presented in a way you'd expect from a £100 a night hotel, not a £33 a night Bed and Breakfast, within an old but extremely well kept building which is only five minutes walk from the town center (and a fifteen minute walk to the General Hospital, if you are interested).

My only slight complaint would be the cleaning staff were a bit over zealous in the morning. It almost got to the point where I didn't feel welcome even though it was well before the check-out time of 10 am.

Overall the Old Priory is wonderful, with good food, good beds and great location. I can't recommend it enough, both to the money conscious like me and those looking for pure quality.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

i have been going to this place for over ten years now and it has never let me down,service brilliant,rooms very clean,food exellent,very peacfull to stay at,i would recomend to anyone who wants a quality place to stay,ill continue to stay here when im in wales,untill somthing better comes along,witch is very very unlikly.hopefully the old priory will stay.i didnt find a single fault.me and the kids loved it.

Room Tip: all the rooms are away from roads,paths ect...so there all very quite.and its close to town.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed there in a family room with my two sons, the room had a double and single bed in it with a tv, wardrobe and plenty of electrical sockets. When I arrived I felt like I had walked into the yards as the outside does not reflect the inside. The staff were friendly and the place was clean with fresh towels everyday. The breakfast was nice, as was the food ( recommended by the locals). The bad points were it was freezing as no heating at during our stay so had to wrap up at night and when going for a shower. I would definitely recommend staying here, however the decor needs updating, tv's mounted on the wall and sockets fitted correctly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 4, 2012

The Old Priory Guest House in Carmarthen is a very warm and welcoming B&B, during my 6 week stay Phil and his staff have been excellent in everyway. I would highly reccomend this establishment to any travelling visitor be it pleasure or with business.
The food is excellent, choose from cereal to a full English in the morning, with a varied bar snack menu and a comprehensive resturant menu for evening meals. With an in house bar and pool & darts room you've really no need to leave on an evening.
Many thanks Phil & Staff