“Friendly and comfortable.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Carmarthen
Luton
“Friendly and comfortable.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

First impression is that the restaurant and lounge area are very inviting and comfortable.
The rooms I used (I have been on two occasions) have been very clean, with comfortable beds, although the decor and furnishings could do with a bit of updating. Additionally the windows in the rooms closely overlooked other walls, making the room rather gloomy.
The staff are very attentive and friendly and I was made to feel welcome. The breakfasts and evening meals are also good, but the menu doesn't seem to change.
However, the fact that I opted to return for a second visit is testimony to my overall satisfaction.

Room Tip: Ask for one with that looks out from the property.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Room was not as nice as I expected after seeing the pleasant ground floor lounge areas when I first came in. Had a small room in need of fresh paint on the walls. Not much daylight, due to the way the room was laid out. No door between the shower/toilet and bedroom. This made the room feel quite chilly. There was an electric heater, but could have done with a spare blanket as I was cold in the night. Also the smoke detector positioned just above the bed had two small flashing red lights on it, which disturbed me quite a bit once the room was in darkness.

Staff and breakfast both very good. Nice hot shower. Convenient location, 10 mins walk from train station, and handy for all shops etc in the town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank J M
Luton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

My reservation was booked by a friend following our visit for a funeral. In comparison I have stayed in much better for the price but am not familiar with the area so this could be the standard. Room was ok not overly spacious but clean although having lost my glasses and pulled back the bed back to find dust. We ate in the restaurant not a great choice of menu however the food was good and the waitress who was also the receptionist had a very pleasantt manner. I would stay again but would ensure that I could have a preference of rooms. No 12 was reasonably sized . My friend asked for a room change and the receptionist was very accommodating .

Room Tip: Ask what size the rooms are to suit your expectations
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MaryH87
Bridgend, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here in July 2012 and chose a perfect week weather wise as it was boiling hot. The hotel was in a good location, clean enough and staff were friendly. The room was a little on the small size, but seeing as we were only using the room as a base it wasn't too uncomfortable. The rooms were cleaned and bed linen changed daily, however we did have to ask for some more of the essential items, as the room service staff hadn't noticed that these had run out. Just a minor thing really. The restaurant food was absolutely stunning. We couldn't understand why more people weren't eating in the hotel restaurant. Unfortunately whilst there the power went out twice in the same day, but this seemed to be across the whole town and not just limited to the hotel. We would have preferred the hotel to have a car park, rather than using the public car park nearby, again another minor detail. Overall we had a pleasant stay at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

After seeing the pics of rooms in the hotel we were looking forward to our stay. when we arrived we were shown a room no bigger than a prison cell, the window was shoulder high, lovely views of roof tops. We were then told that the hotel was closing for the afternoon and evening, no food or bar available. We told the waitress (who was very helpful) that we did not want to stay there and wanted our money back.
The rest of the hotel was homely and very nice, and the food was excelent!!! we were the last to be served a meal before the hotel closed (1450 hrs) we left with a full refund. BEWARE OF WHAT YOU THINK YOU ARE GETTING FOR YOUR MONEY!!!

Room Tip: Make sure of the type of room you are paying for before you close the deal
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Cardiff, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

We were looking for something a little special and thought we might have found it in the Falcon Hotel's restaurant.

It's a cosy little restaurant where you can sit down in the lounge, order a drink and read the menu. After your order is taken the waitress calls you through to your table when the starters are ready. Perfect.

Sadly the food doesn't live up to these standards. My starter of ham hock terrine was bland and watery tasting. Perhaps it'd been frozen? No great shame but the under-seasoning is unforgivable for a dish that should struggle to stay under-seasoned normally. My partner's goat's cheese salad was good though.

When the main courses arrived my steak was that bizarre combination of over-cooked and tepid. I might have let either of these things go normally, but not both together. It was sent back and re-cooked perfectly the 2nd time although the chef had forgotten to exchange chips for mash which the waitress had said was 'no problem at all' when I ordered. I didn't bother to complain as my partner had already almost finished her main course by this point and the side dish of veg for 2 which had been brought originally was now cold.

We didn't have dessert as we were both pretty full and we decided a pint at our hotel was the best option.

Close to £60 for 2 courses is fine if the food matches up and you get what you order first time around. We didn't. That's why 'Value' gets a 2.

One other small gripe was the waitress asking how much tip I'd like to put on my card after I had asked if the staff would receive it all if I did so (I know some restaurateurs take a percentage of card tips). It would have been more polite to allow me key in the tip myself.

However she coped amicably as she was in the restaurant all by herself, doing everything from seating people in the lounge, running the bar, taking orders and serving food. One other member of staff would probably have helped out tremendously while the restaurant was two-thirds full.
Note to the owner: skimp on staffing levels, skimp on quality.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MrLeakyBrie
Cymru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

This is a great little hotel, in a great location.
The restaurant is a must visit.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank PantBryn50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmarthen
Spilman Hotel
#5 of 7 in Carmarthen
The Cawdor
The Cawdor
#2 of 3 in Llandeilo

Been to Falcon Hotel and Restaurant? Share your experiences!