Tripadvisor

Ranked #71 of 149 Restaurants in Carmarthen
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2020

Very expensive, so decided not to eat here. Only had a one rating as the pint I had tasted funny and the guy behind the bar was quite rude. So, after seeing the prices of the food we decided to leave

Date of visit: December 2019
Write a reviewReviews (244)

Reviewed December 29, 2019 via mobile

Visited as many of the nearby pubs weren’t running a full food service in the period between Christmas and New Year.

While the menu and the decor has a bit of an old fashioned feel about it, the food was really good and inline with modern pub fare. I had the burger - the patties were handmade and very tasty (although slightly overdone for my preference), the melted cheese was lovely and the bacon thick and tasty. My father had the steak special - a very generous 8oz piece (I think it was bigger) served on a sizzling plate; had to take it off to make sure it didn’t keep cooking!

Service was quick and the gent behind the bar friendly enough. It’s clearly a family affair which is nice.

The in-house brewed beer was very good; a nice smooth ale went down nicely.

They take debit cards but not credit cards (I assume they pay more fees or have a bigger risk of charge backs for the business).

Will definitely return when I’m next in Wales :)

Reviewed December 21, 2019 via mobile

Popped into their brewery shop
at the rear of this wonderful old pub to stock-up with beers for Xmas! Lovely people with a warm welcome and a great selection to choose from. We also bought thier own red wine and gin so result! We decided to stay for lunch which was freshly cooked, great selection and we all really enjoyed topped off with great service!

Reviewed December 4, 2019

Always well worth the visit.As someone has said it is a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.Always a fantastic meal with bigger than normal portions.You can get cheaper elsewhere but not the same quality or size.Only down point for me is that every time we visit I spend too much.This,of course, is my fault as the family have a brewery and distillery on site and as I like their products I always end up spending quite a lot of money.Luckily we live about 35 minutes from the pub and only visit for special occasions.We will continue visiting this pub and look forward to each visit.

Reviewed November 10, 2019

We came here for a ‘date night’ Saturday evening.
The staff were very friendly and welcoming but the menu is pretty poor. Prices are very high! £15ish for a chicken burger, £16 for gammon, most bar meals around the area are a lot less than that.

I asked for the Mexican chicken burger but to have it not too spicy is possible but the owner very politely told me that that couldn’t be done (which tells me they’re perhaps frozen?), well anyway he did say I could have the chicken goujons (that they offer in the starter menu for around £7) in my bun instead. I didn’t think at the time as my husband went to pay but upon reflecting after I got home... I realised we were charged £15 for three chicken goujons in a bread roll and a small portion of chips with it.

The garlic bread was to die for but £4.65 it definitely should be nice!

My husband had the pie and that was nice too but again pretty pricey. On top of this also, they don’t accept credit cards. It was lucky we had brought our debit card.

This could be a fab pub as the interior is very traditional and homely and the outside is very sweet and inviting.

I really hope they can revise some of their menu prices. Based on the poor value for money we won’t be returning. It’s a shame though as the staff were so nice.

Beth