“A fishy experience - not to be repeated”

The Cawdor Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 28 Restaurants in Llandeilo
Cuisines: British, Gastropub, Welsh
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Cawdor is renowned for enthusiastic Head Chef Gavin Oram's delectable cuisine. Gavin delights in serving a mix of traditional and innovative dishes using the freshest local ingredients wherever possible.
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My family and I had booked a table at The Cawdor on Saturday night for a very special celebration meal. When we arrived reception was occupied by a party of very “happy” revellers singing loudly. This was immediately at odds with our expectations for the night.

A lady on reception noted our concern and said that they would not be going through to the dining room and so the noise levels in there would be more acceptable and suggested we go in and see which we duly did.

The first impression that hit us was that of fish.

Not the clean pleasant smell of cooked fresh fish, but the definite off smell of cooked fish which is way past it’s best.

Both of these factors combined were sufficient for us to decide not to remain, resulting in extreme disappointment for my daughter, whose special event this was.

I emailed to complain and in fairness received a phone call within the hour. The duty manager blamed the drains, which was odd as the smell was inside the dining room not out on the street. She hotly denied that anything less that fresh was never on the premises, which is odd as I have in the past dealt with the same people who supply their fish and have on numerous occasions had to reject deliveries as not being good enough.

A very unsatisfactory conclusion.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

My family and I had booked a table at The Cawdor last night for a very special celebration meal. When we arrived reception was occupied by a party of very “happy” revellers singing loudly. This was immediately at odds with our expectations for the night.

The first impression that hit us was that of fish.

A very unsatisfactory conclusion.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

When the Cawdor was first muted as a venue for our works Christmas Lunch, I knew we'd have a great meal, having eaten here before. However, I wasn't too sure how they'd cater for large parties turning up at different times and in different stages of merriment! My worries were totally unfounded, despite the tardy approach of some of our number, the staff made sure we were well looked after and that our meals turned up in pristine condition. Having spoken since to all members of our party, the overwhelming feedback was 'what a great venue with great food'. I think we've already booked for Christmas 2014!

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our experience at the restaurant. Both service and food was excellent. Only negative comment; I agree with the previous post, the staff didn't speak welsh and being a welshman living in Australia i expect to speak my mother tongue when i'm home.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Four of us travelled quite far from different places to meet-up for Sunday lunch at the Cawdor (November 2013). The restaurant, split into one very large room and a smaller "room with a view" was quite full, so we were glad that we'd booked a table well in advance.

The choice of starters was wonderful, the main meal slightly less so, and the sweets a little less so again. However the choice was more than ample enough for a small group with disparate tastes and various dietary foibles.

The food arrived in no time at all, and was absolutely delicious and perfect in every respect. We were very impressed.

The only thing we found rather odd was that all the menus, staff and so on were monolingual English, which was such a pity for those of us hoping for a Welsh experience. If the restaurant was made a little more welcoming for Welsh speakers, and visitors looking for a genuine Welsh experience, I'd give it 5 blobs rather than 4.