“Faultless!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Llandeilo
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Faultless!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We have visited the restaurant here several times (it is fairly local to us and the food and service are second to none!). We are therefore on their mailing list and were offered a great combination deal of accommodation, breakfast and evening meal. This meant no need for a 'designated driver' or taxi fare and was too good to turn down. The accommodation proved to be excellent, we found it to be faultless; spotlessly clean, large comfortable beds, good sized room with sofa, fabulous views out of a panoramic window, bath and shower, courtesy chocolates and newspaper, iron and ironing board (not used!), tea coffee, etc. The staff are charming, friendly and seamlessly efficient, nothing is too much trouble. The evening meal was fabulous, as always, and the breakfast was lovely, good choice and great quality food. It turned a nice evening out into a holiday!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view - spectacular!
Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you very much for your fantastic review. My team members and I are pleased that your stay with us was very enjoyable.

I will pass on your thanks to them all, and will let them know that you had lovely food, great service and that your stay was very good.

If you take a look at our website, we have some wonderful deals and offers that you may be interested in.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Bristol
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed two nights, taking advantage of a special offer and it really was great value for money. The room was large and airy with a large comfortable bed, sofa, tv and wi-fi. The bathroom was small but clean with a small bath (with non slip surface) with power shower over. Plenty of hot water.
We ate breakfast and evening meal at the hotel and were glad we chose to do so, the food was beautifully cooked and presented and plenty of it. All the staff were pleasant, friendly and very helpful.
We intend to return to Llandeilo and will certainly try and book into The Plough Inn.

Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for such a wonderful review, we are pleased that you had a pleasant stay with us.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to my team members, and I will let them know how much you have enjoyed the food, service and your stay.

Please look at our website for some more fantastic offers and deal that we have on.
Swansea
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We the restaurant for lunch following a recommendation from a friend. I can honestly say we were not disappointed. What a lovely venue with fabulous food. My husband had the fillet steak and he said it was the nicest steak he had ever had in this country. I had the local ale battered fish and it was beautiful. We were recommended the baked Alaska to share as we were quite full and that was something I had not tasted before – it was delightful.
We look forward to visiting again for a special treat.

1 Thank VespaSwansea
Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your evening with us.

I will be sure to pass on your wonderful comments to my team members, and will let them know how much you enjoyed the food and service.

Please visit our website for details of special offers we have on at the minute.
England
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband had stayed twice before when on business in South Wales. This time I joined him. From the minute we were shown to our room by a very pleasant receptionist things got better and better. Our room was well appointed with everything we needed. Large bed, good sized bathroom, lots of mirriors (full length) Views were good from the room. Good parking. Our dining experience was very enjoyable and food excellant with a good choice. As I do not drink too much wine we just ordered a half bottle but sadly it was from not a good batch. There was no problem in changing it, in fact the waiter very kindly opened 3 to see if it got better, it didnt so we settled on another. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Breakfast excellant too. Enjoyed the stay and would certainly return. Check-out was as good as checking in, very pleasant receptionist and very helpful. Thankyou.

Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I shall pass on your thanks to all my team members and will let them know that you enjoyed your stay, and dining.

Take a look at our website for the amazing offers that we have on at the moment.

Look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Burry Port
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This was the second time my wife and I stayed and ate at The Plough.

The welcome and check-in was straightforward, quick and friendly. We were taken to our room by the receptionist who was pleasant and helpful. The room was on the 1st floor and was nicely presented and tidy. We did find some torpid flies that had been hibernating in the curtains and had now decided to wake up and annoy us. Maybe the cleaners could give the curtains a good shake to dislodge them. I did wonder whether the room was an 'executive' as stated in our deal but decided not to make an issue of it as it seemed fine.

The meal in the restaurant was excellent though we were sat in a rather out of the way area close to a massive curtain - I half expected a cabaret during dinner! It would have been nice if the waitress had given us a choice as to where we'd have liked to have sat - seeing as the restaurant was close to empty when we arrived.

We retired to our room where we watched some TV before sleeping. However due to faulty or badly designed doors we were kept awake until very late by doors slamming and frightening the living daylights out of us on numerous occasions. This made for a poor night's sleep. It has to be said that there wasn't anything untoward going on outside in the corridor, just people returning to their rooms and letting the doors slam shut. But surely there must be a more sensible and quieter arrangement to be had. We did mention this to the receptionist on checking out, who said that it would be looked into.

The shower the next morning was great apart from a silly design where water poured over the lip of the shower tray onto the bathroom floor. This had to be mopped up with a towel. Perhaps the lip of the tray needs to be slightly higher or a shower screen/door fitted to keep the water inside the cubicle.

Breakfast was tasty and plentiful. Served to order cooked breakfasts are so much better than these buffet affairs that some hotels adopt. the only slight annoyance was the small table in the bar area hardly being big enough for two of us.

All in all a lovely stay with minor niggles.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where there are no slamming doors within a 100yd radius!
Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your review, we are glad that you did enjoy your stay with us.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the food, and will pass on your compliments to the kitchen team.
as regards to the few points I can assure you that maintenance is addressing the issue of the slamming doors, and the housekeepers are being more efficient when checking rooms.

Take a look at our website for some fantastic deals, and we look forward to seeing you in the near future.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was recommended by friends so we went along for Sunday lunch and were pleasantly surprised and amazed at the overall experience we had. As you entered the bar to the right was an old brick wall which we later found out was the original wall from the eighteen hundreds when the hotel was orginally built. The standard of food was execellent and the views from the conservatory windows was truly spectacular. The hotel was only a 15min walk to the village main street with some unusual and querky shops. We enquired the availability of rooms in July and were made aware of an offer that was running at the moment which we found execellent value. We were then asked if we would like to see some of the rooms and was given a tour of the facilities the hotel had. We would like to say that the rooms were of very high quality and booked a room on returing to recption later. We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and resturant to family and friends.

Room Tip: We would recommend the room with the Queen Ann bed with the view of the mountains
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you very much for a fantastic review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will pass on your thanks and lovely comments to the staff members, and will let them know that you enjoyed your stay with us very much.

Take a look at our website, and have a gander at the wonderful deals we have on at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing you in the near future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Plough for two nights as part of a Groupon deal in February. We’d never really been to that area and I thought it was a very good deal and would provide a relaxing weekend.

We arrived to a warm welcome and were shown to our room and talked through the air-conditioning etc. The room was relatively large and was nice, but wasn’t too much different from a Premier Inn layout. We were also debating whether we had been put into an Executive Double rather than a standard double that we were supposed to have had as part of the deal, but we think we were. The bed was large, but was two singles put together so there was an uncomfortable dip in the middle, however it was comfortable to sleep on and the extra pillows are a nice touch as they allow you to sit up comfortably on the bed to watch TV.

The view was fine. Nothing spectacular, as it was just empty fields and a few hills with the rear car park below. Maybe it’s because I’m used to that being from Wales anyway? However being on a main road it didn’t feel as rural as it may appear.

After checking in and going for a wander around Llandeilo which is about a 15 minute drive (you can’t walk it) we decided to go back to the hotel’s restaurant to eat. We had already been allocated a table as we were staying there, however the restaurant was practically empty which we thought was a bit bizarre for a Friday night. We were put onto a small two person table (even though there were loads of other bigger tables available) which became increasingly smaller with the bits and bobs they kept giving us with the meal – veg, chips, etc on separate plates. I decided on the Lasagne and my boyfriend went for the Burger. His arrived on what was basically a chopping board which was obviously their way of trying to appear posh, but he found extremely difficult to eat on. My lasagne was fine, not that much sauce in it and it was basically mincemeat and pasta sheets, but it was fine. However my boyfriend’s burger was literally the worst he has ever tasted (and he must have eaten thousands over his lifetime!). It had all sorts of weird sauce on it, and had BBQ’d pork in it?? Interestingly the couple on the table behind us sent theirs back because it had something inedible in it?! Service was fine, but food was a huge let down, especially considering they seem to be promoting it as a top class restaurant.

We had a few issues in the room with the air-conditioning. We couldn’t get it to go any lower than 16 degrees, which was an issue when we were sleeping, but we decided to turn it off the second night and it was fine. However it didn’t change to the cold setting no matter how much we tried, but it wasn’t a huge issue so we didn’t complain.

A minor issue with the room, but one that I think is worth considering is that the hairdryer provided is a travel one, which is a big pain when you’re rushing to get out in the morning trying to use a low power hairdryer. Why not a large one, or even a more powerful one?

We had breakfast included which on the first morning was fine. However the second morning it was awful. A different waitress was serving and she seemed to want to spend all of her time cleaning the tables rather than serving customers, even though no-one else was due to have breakfast. I had to go up to her to ask her for orange juice after waiting for it to be refilled for 10 minutes. Rather annoyingly the juices all have to be refilled by staff as they only have around 4 glasses worth in them, which with about 12 people eating breakfast at the same time they get drained very quickly. They also didn’t have any water on offer like they did the first morning.

We’d had sausage, bacon & beans with toast the first morning which was okay, however the portions were quite small considering that was all we’d ordered (we only got 1 sausage, 2 bits of bacon and a small pot of beans). However for the second morning I decided to try the pastries, as rather frustratingly these weren’t laid out as part of breakfast which I would normally look over and choose. The ‘buffet’ part of the breakfast was a tiny table with a very limited amount of cheap brand cereal (the rice krispies weren’t proper rice krispies) and a small selection of fruit. It needed a lot more on it to be classed as a buffet. The ‘continental’ breakfast didn’t give me a choice of pastries, I had to have what I was given. They were home-made, but they weren’t very nice at all. I really regretted having it. I also wasn’t given a choice of what toast I had with it – I would have wanted all white not a bit of each. However I was lucky to get toast as my boyfriend didn’t get any even though he’d asked for it and it was supposed to come as part of breakfast no-matter what you ordered! Although again nobody bothered checking if everything was okay with the meals when we could have raised this. Everyone was also really crammed into a small room as breakfast wasn’t served in the restaurant. If everyone decided to go for breakfast all at once then they wouldn’t have enough space at all.

Overall, I think the hotel was nice enough. Room was a big plus point and friendly hotel staff as well as the free wi-fi which had great reception. It’s huge downfall is the restaurant and the breakfast. Also it’s not a great area to stay if you don’t like walking, as that’s pretty much the only thing to do locally. It might seem like I’ve been picky on a lot of things, but these are things that should be in place if it’s a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel has views of the hills
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a detailed review on your recent stay. I have spent time reading through your comments and will take on board your criticisms I feel need addressing.

Reading your lenghty reviews on other Hotels I agree with your comment that you are somewhat picky on a lot of things however, please be assured we are open to constructive criticism and improvments will be made for all present and future customers.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandeilo
The Cawdor
#2 of 10 in Llanelli
The Dragon Hotel
The Dragon Hotel
#9 of 22 in Swansea

Been to The Plough Inn? Share your experiences!