“Amazed” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Llandeilo
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Amazed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was recommended by friends so we went along for Sunday lunch and were pleasantly surprised and amazed at the overall experience we had. As you entered the bar to the right was an old brick wall which we later found out was the original wall from the eighteen hundreds when the hotel was orginally built. The standard of food was execellent and the views from the conservatory windows was truly spectacular. The hotel was only a 15min walk to the village main street with some unusual and querky shops. We enquired the availability of rooms in July and were made aware of an offer that was running at the moment which we found execellent value. We were then asked if we would like to see some of the rooms and was given a tour of the facilities the hotel had. We would like to say that the rooms were of very high quality and booked a room on returing to recption later. We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and resturant to family and friends.

Room Tip: We would recommend the room with the Queen Ann bed with the view of the mountains
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you very much for a fantastic review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will pass on your thanks and lovely comments to the staff members, and will let them know that you enjoyed your stay with us very much.

Take a look at our website, and have a gander at the wonderful deals we have on at the moment.

Looking forward to seeing you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Plough for two nights as part of a Groupon deal in February. We’d never really been to that area and I thought it was a very good deal and would provide a relaxing weekend.

We arrived to a warm welcome and were shown to our room and talked through the air-conditioning etc. The room was relatively large and was nice, but wasn’t too much different from a Premier Inn layout. We were also debating whether we had been put into an Executive Double rather than a standard double that we were supposed to have had as part of the deal, but we think we were. The bed was large, but was two singles put together so there was an uncomfortable dip in the middle, however it was comfortable to sleep on and the extra pillows are a nice touch as they allow you to sit up comfortably on the bed to watch TV.

The view was fine. Nothing spectacular, as it was just empty fields and a few hills with the rear car park below. Maybe it’s because I’m used to that being from Wales anyway? However being on a main road it didn’t feel as rural as it may appear.

After checking in and going for a wander around Llandeilo which is about a 15 minute drive (you can’t walk it) we decided to go back to the hotel’s restaurant to eat. We had already been allocated a table as we were staying there, however the restaurant was practically empty which we thought was a bit bizarre for a Friday night. We were put onto a small two person table (even though there were loads of other bigger tables available) which became increasingly smaller with the bits and bobs they kept giving us with the meal – veg, chips, etc on separate plates. I decided on the Lasagne and my boyfriend went for the Burger. His arrived on what was basically a chopping board which was obviously their way of trying to appear posh, but he found extremely difficult to eat on. My lasagne was fine, not that much sauce in it and it was basically mincemeat and pasta sheets, but it was fine. However my boyfriend’s burger was literally the worst he has ever tasted (and he must have eaten thousands over his lifetime!). It had all sorts of weird sauce on it, and had BBQ’d pork in it?? Interestingly the couple on the table behind us sent theirs back because it had something inedible in it?! Service was fine, but food was a huge let down, especially considering they seem to be promoting it as a top class restaurant.

We had a few issues in the room with the air-conditioning. We couldn’t get it to go any lower than 16 degrees, which was an issue when we were sleeping, but we decided to turn it off the second night and it was fine. However it didn’t change to the cold setting no matter how much we tried, but it wasn’t a huge issue so we didn’t complain.

A minor issue with the room, but one that I think is worth considering is that the hairdryer provided is a travel one, which is a big pain when you’re rushing to get out in the morning trying to use a low power hairdryer. Why not a large one, or even a more powerful one?

We had breakfast included which on the first morning was fine. However the second morning it was awful. A different waitress was serving and she seemed to want to spend all of her time cleaning the tables rather than serving customers, even though no-one else was due to have breakfast. I had to go up to her to ask her for orange juice after waiting for it to be refilled for 10 minutes. Rather annoyingly the juices all have to be refilled by staff as they only have around 4 glasses worth in them, which with about 12 people eating breakfast at the same time they get drained very quickly. They also didn’t have any water on offer like they did the first morning.

We’d had sausage, bacon & beans with toast the first morning which was okay, however the portions were quite small considering that was all we’d ordered (we only got 1 sausage, 2 bits of bacon and a small pot of beans). However for the second morning I decided to try the pastries, as rather frustratingly these weren’t laid out as part of breakfast which I would normally look over and choose. The ‘buffet’ part of the breakfast was a tiny table with a very limited amount of cheap brand cereal (the rice krispies weren’t proper rice krispies) and a small selection of fruit. It needed a lot more on it to be classed as a buffet. The ‘continental’ breakfast didn’t give me a choice of pastries, I had to have what I was given. They were home-made, but they weren’t very nice at all. I really regretted having it. I also wasn’t given a choice of what toast I had with it – I would have wanted all white not a bit of each. However I was lucky to get toast as my boyfriend didn’t get any even though he’d asked for it and it was supposed to come as part of breakfast no-matter what you ordered! Although again nobody bothered checking if everything was okay with the meals when we could have raised this. Everyone was also really crammed into a small room as breakfast wasn’t served in the restaurant. If everyone decided to go for breakfast all at once then they wouldn’t have enough space at all.

Overall, I think the hotel was nice enough. Room was a big plus point and friendly hotel staff as well as the free wi-fi which had great reception. It’s huge downfall is the restaurant and the breakfast. Also it’s not a great area to stay if you don’t like walking, as that’s pretty much the only thing to do locally. It might seem like I’ve been picky on a lot of things, but these are things that should be in place if it’s a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel has views of the hills
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a detailed review on your recent stay. I have spent time reading through your comments and will take on board your criticisms I feel need addressing.

Reading your lenghty reviews on other Hotels I agree with your comment that you are somewhat picky on a lot of things however, please be assured we are open to constructive criticism and improvments will be made for all present and future customers.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at the plough 8th March for two nights. Fab hotel, clean, excellent rooms modern with everything you could need.
On our arrival the two ladies at reception we very helpful and we got taken to our room and everything explained to us. Nothing was too much trouble for the whole stay.
We ate in the restaurant both evenings the food was excellent as was the choice for breakfast. Would certainly use this hotel again.

Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for a wonderful review about the Plough. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay as much as we enjoyed your company.

I will pass on your thanks to all of my staff members and will let them know how much you enjoyed the food and their hospitality.

Please take a look at our website for special offers and deals which you may find inviting.

We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Swansea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I've recently stayed at the Plough and can highly recommend it. The food was amazing and the bed was one of the most comfortable i've slept in. Nothing was too much trouble and I will be recommending the hotel to family and friends. All the staff we dealt with were friendly and attentative. I've not written a review on tripadvisor before but I felt I wanted to after staying at the Plough.

Room Tip: Lovely view over the hills.
Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for you lovely response. we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I will pass on your thanks to all the staff, and let them know that you enjoyed the food and hospitality.

Also have a look on our website for some fantastic deals that we have going at the moment.

We look forward to you coming back to see us again.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

As previous reviewers have states the decor bar the stone walls and beams could do with a revamp, particularly the curtains. Staff quite friendly but not warm and slow to serve (even when the room was mainly empty as we arrived at 12pm). I was a bit disappointed as this was my dad's 70th birthday lunch which we mentioned to the waitress that no small gesture was made such as a free glass of champers for him or some such as we paid £115 for 2x3 course meals and 2x2 course meals and small gestures mean a lot to entice customers back in a competitve market. We ordered 3 ginger beers and a pint of bitter shandy- close to £11! So beware if they charge that much for soft drinks, how much for hard liquor? There has to be a mark up but charging that much for fizzy pop is a bit rich. The pate for starters was very generous and tasty but not keen on the weird sweet yet hard ginger cake that came with the pate - thankfully there was toast too. My husband enjoyed the pork belly starter and we all enjoyed our sirloins with excellent sauted potatoes. Dessert was good especially the icecream and overall we enjoyed our meal. We didn't stay at the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review on you visit to the plough.

We are constantly upgrading our décor to keep in with modern times - we are at the 1st stages of designing the bar and dining areas.

We are taking on board your comments regarding a gesture to a guest celebrating an occasion with us. As regards to your comment about our beverages, we pride ourselves on buying quality drinks, and the fentimans ginger beer is a premium beverage. We are glad that you enjoyed your dining with us and I will pass on your thanks to our team of chefs. With regards to the front of house team I have spoken with them to be more welcoming.

Please be assured that we take on board any constructive comments and my team and I have improved our standards for all our present and future customers.

We look forward to seeing you soon in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Quality of food, cleanliness of rooms and all of the hotel superb, some of the best we have stayed in. Room large and spacious with ample storage, bathroom good quality and shower very powerful. We would like to thank Andrew and all his staff we had contact with and also the staff you do not see who work behind the scenes e.g. chefs, housekeepers etc. It is a hotel with a great all round team spirit working together to make your stay great. We will be back to stay in the future.
Many Thanks......Carole and Mick.

Room Tip: room 203 great size and good views
Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review, we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to you coming back to see us again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I don't often write reviews but I just had to this time. We stayed here for our 5th anniversary and it was great. From the massive box of chocs in the room and wine glasses ready for us, to the sauna and great food. Breakfast in the room was no problem nor was chilling a bottle of champers we brought either.

The service was freindly and very on the ball with various staff asking if you were being sorted and getting attention of others if your weren't. We had room 301 in the corner and it was fab, comfy bed, big spa bath and powerful shower. Made it a very memorable stay and will be recommending well into the future and probably return as well. Might even take the kids next time...

Thank you Plough!

Andrew R, Owner at The Plough Inn, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I am thrilled to hear you enjoyed what was a very special stay. I will be sure to pass on your heart warming comments to all of my staff - they will be happy to hear them.

I hope you can find another reason to come and stay with us again - we would be happy to have you back!

Please visit our website for offers and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Plough.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandeilo
The Cawdor
#1 of 1 in Newcastle Emlyn
The Dragon Hotel
The Dragon Hotel
#8 of 24 in Swansea

Been to The Plough Inn? Share your experiences!