“Absolutely fabulous Boutique Hotel”
Review of The Cawdor

The Cawdor
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Llandeilo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We arrived at the hotel on friday night (2/11/12) we was greeted at reception by a really friendly member of staff who checked us in and then helped me carry my bags up to my room. We stayed in Egremont, this room was bright and very spacious. The bathroom was stunning (the shower was lovely). The bed linen was crisp and smelt so fresh and the bed was very comfortable.

We took a few drinks in the bar then headed on into dinner, the food was absolutely wonderful and most of it is locally sourced, well all I can say is well done and compliments to the chef and his team. It was all cooked perfectly and all tasted wonderful, we also took breakfast in the morning and once again we was not disappointed with any of the food, and the home baked bread went down a real treat too.

We was there to celebrate a wedding and the food served once again to us at the event was again cooked to perfection. The bar prices were very reasonable too, and the bar itself was nice and there was lovely sofas in the lounge where you could sit chat with friends and it held a lovely atmosphere.

All I can say is this is a lovely hotel, staff very helpful and friendly. Food fantastic, there was a great arrangement of rooms depending on what occassion you was there for. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that ever gets the chance to visit Wales and gets to Llandeilo. We will definately be returning one day.

Room Tip: Just check out the website and take your pick they are all totally different rooms so it just depend...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have been for lunch at the cawders several times for Sunday lunch and also for evening meals it's been very good value and it still is the only problem that now the veg is peas broad beans and lots of baby carrots . When in the past we used to have a good nice veg mix and cauliflower cheese . We will still go there but not so often maybe.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 10th anniversary. Llandeilo itself lovely and quiet packed with cosy little boutiques. Chocolate shop a-m-a-z-i-n-g! The hotel is beautifully decorated and has a fantastic choice of wines and champagne. Lovely food all of which is reasonably priced - especially in comparison to Narbeth and Cardiff. We stayed in the 'nonni' which has a wonderful bath and shower and the bed is divine!
Would definitely visit again.

Room Tip: All the rooms appear in good order, would not expect a problem staying in any of the rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MichMorgs
Reviewed October 27, 2012

From my profile you may notice I travel the world fairly widely. Shamed to say I do not enter most of my travel reviews. This review though is especially relevant as I live just 20 miles away from The Cawdor Arms. On Sunday 14 Oct, my wife and I were travelling home and for a number of reasons we decided to stay at The Cawdor. We live and work abroad and had heard a lot about the Cawdor but had not had a chance to stay there, so we took the opportunity.

We asked to sees room and were shown one that was available. The room was furnished excellently and the bathroom was also of a high standard. So no complaints there (...nice appearance). When we arrived at 7pm we were told that dinner in the restaurant was finishing early that evening at 8.00pm. I said that this was not a problem that we only wanted a light meal in the bar, which we were told was open until 10.30pm. At 8.00pm we had a phone call in our room from the receptionist who informed us that if we wanted food in the bar that we had to go down now, as the kitchen was closing early.

We went downstairs and were served by a surly 40 something barman who was obviously in a hurry to finish up. We ordered food and drinks and this was brought quickly (no need to guess why). After food we went into the lounge area with our drinks. There were two other couples there as well. At 9.15pm we decide to go upstairs and rest. At 9.45 I told my wife that I would go down before the bar closed to get a night cap in our rooms. When I went downstairs the bar was SHUT!

There was no staff left in the hotel, just a phone number on the desk to call in case of emergencies. Unbelievable. I went across the road to the local pub and they kindly gave me two drinks in glasses to take away (which I returned the following morning).

I complained the following morning and all I was told is that they would look into it.

Hoping breakfast would compensate we went into the dining room. What a poor layout. A small table in the window had a dirty toaster, stale bread in a basket for toasting, no tongs to handle the bread, a few packets of cereal and worst of all were the chipped fruit juice glasses.

Breakfast was the standard fear of bacon and eggs, but even that they got wrong and we had to send that back as it was cold and ask for it to be reheated in the micro wave.

I not that the management does not comment on responses on Trip Advisor - shows how much care they think of the customers. This is definitely a hotel with pretensions beyond its means.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Bahrain_Bill
Reviewed September 28, 2012

stayed here on business recently. Very smart and comfortable Hotel. Nice bar with real ales and a very good restaurant although not very atmospheric and choice limited.

A few good pubs close by too!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012

The Cawdor is a really nice hotel in Llandeilo with a good choice of rooms. We couldn't get the room we wanted when we booked, but chose a room in the end which turned out to be beautifully furnished and wonderfully comfortable.

We checked in late afternoon and everything was smooth and efficient. The receptionist kindly led us to our room on the second floor at the front of the building. It was a good sized room, with a king-sized bed and also a good sized bathroom. The room also had two arm chairs. The bed turned out to be one of the most comfortable we have slept in.

As the room was on the second floor, it was only possible to open the window a small amount (health and safety!). The room didn't have built-in air-con, but did have a free-standing cooler/aircon/humidifier thing. This worked to a certain extent, but the room was warm through the night. The bathroom had a great bath - which has to be the fastest filling bath weve ever seen.

Decor in the hotel is tasteful and common areas pleasantly furnished.

The hotel is in the main high street, but you can pull up outside and unload your luggage. After that you can then move your car to the hotels private car park round the back of the hotel. From there a short footpath leads back to the hotel.

There is a good lounge area to sit to have drinks before dinner. We had to wait quite a while before someone came with menus etc. However, the evening we were there was quite busy as a wedding reception had been taking place. There was one decent real ale on tap - so I was lucky. The dining room is a bit cold in ambience, although they have obviously tried to dress it with local art. Possibly different lighting or some added furniture would help warm the place. Service was good and the meal was well prepared. There were some good, reasonably-priced wine. My wife left her handbag in the dining room, and the kind receptionist called us to tell us and delivered it to our room. Thank you, that was so kind.

Room Tip: This is a popular hotel, so check the excellent hotel website and book early.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JonoLion
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We stayed one night at this stylish hotel and recieved a very warm welcome. The bedroom and bathroom were lovely. A great bonus was the outstanding restaurant, I am a vegetarian and often make do, but I had the best veggie meal ever at this restaurant. My husband really enthused about his meat dish too. Breakfast was also excellent. My husband left his jumper at the hotel and I phoned to ask them to look out for it, a couple of days later we received it by post. I highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Front rooms would be on a busy main road, so best ask for a rear facing room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llandeilo
The Plough Rhosmaen
Swansea Marriott Hotel
Morgans Hotel
Morgans Hotel
#9 of 22 in Swansea

Been to The Cawdor? Share your experiences!