“Customer service issues”
Review of Chinthurst B&B

Chinthurst B&B
Ranked #18 of 33 Skipton B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We parked our car and walked to the reception area, we passed several people walking in the opposite direction. We waited 10 minutes,walking around looking for someone to check us in then a woman finally came. I said we had been waiting a while and she very abruptly replied "well you saw me in the car park i was showing guests to their rooms " how were we to know who she was, she hadn't made any effort to speak to us. She checked us in then asked for payment, i asked if we could take out luggage to our room first, as we had now been waiting in the hallway for over 15 minutes ( a lovely 5 star welcome). Five minutes later i went to reception to pay, the charming lady was speaking on the telephone, she didn't notice me and i waited a while then managed to gain her attention. From her side of the conversation the phone call was obviously personal not business and she made no effort to hang up when i said i had come to pay. I found this very rude and i said i would come back later, she carried on her telephone conversation. The room was small but clean apart from the toilet seat which was grubby. It was a bit like being at your nan's house with lots of crystal and nick nacks around. 3 star maybe. Good location, breakfast ok, not worth £90 a night.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank WestYorkshireChris

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights beginning November. Don't usually do B & B but thought we would give it a go - what a treat, The bedroom was roomy and beautifully decorated and spotless. We had an executive room which had a small "living" room attached which was great. Breakfast - another treat, a huge choice of ccoked, cereals etc really couldn't ask for more. A few minutes walk and you're in the middle of Skipton with loads of lovely places to eat. We had a fantastic meal at a French restaurant the first night then pub for 2nd night. A fabulous find and we hope to re-visit in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed here at the beginning of November 2013. I had booked our one night stay around the 21st September 2013. After making the booking I immediately emailed the guest house (via their website, enquiry section) to let them know that we were going to a wedding and may not arrive until late evening. I didn't hear anything else so assumed that this was fine.
We arrived at the Chinthurst at 11.40pm, following a very foggy drive through nearby villages. We knocked and rang the doorbell and eventually (after a good five minutes) the owner opened the window and asked 'What do you want?', I confirmed who we were and said that I had emailed to let her know that we would be arriving at this time, and she very rudely (and actually with contempt) replied 'What email?' and then made some remark about all the other 8 wedding guests managing to get here on time. (I wasn't aware that there was a rule about checking in - nothing is stated on their website). I also do not think that arriving at 11.40pm is an obscene time either.
Following this, she opened the door and we duly followed her upstairs, where she showed us to our room - all the time not speaking to us - nothing! Her rudeness really upset me.
Regarding the room - I am a fair Trip Advisor reviewer - it was spotless and lovely. We were happy with this standard.
Breakfast - again this was fine and of a good standard.
The owner was pleasant in the morning to us, however this does not take away her rudeness when we arrived and considering that we had pre paid and booked our room, she should have been expecting us. If as she apparently said, that she did not receive my email, my advice would be to sort out your website. However, most importantly, this type of business is not a 9 to 5 job - it is not beyond the realms of possibility to expect customers to arrive late evening, and if they do, please be professional - we had paid £90 for our room and we couldn't wait to leave.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank busybee16
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed 2 nights with my wife, had an excellent mid-week break, nice relaxed atmosphere, lovely rooms and quality breakfast. Only five min' stroll into Skipton so good location, already recommended to friends we will be back !

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms available if your not good with stairs.....
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed for two nights at Chinthurst and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet and everything worked, especially the shower. Breakfast was very good too with plenty of choice. Having stayed in local hotels the Chinthurst BandB experience was definitely preferable. Hazel is attentive and friendly - when we are next in the area we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 10, 2013

To call this a b&b is not doing it justice. I have stopped in ( boutique ) hotels that have not been a patch on this place. beautifully furnished, fantastic choice at breakfast and a great host, all in an informal and friendly atmosphere. 5 stars.

Room Tip: plenty of downstairs rooms if you struggle with stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank stuart w
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The house is easy to find, near the centre of Skipton. Nothing was too much trouble for the owner, who took time before we arrived to macke sure we had a rom that was better suited to my husband's fibromylagia. The room was very comfortable, lovely linen and appreciated the the luxurious little touches, like cut glass tumblers. Excellent range of choices for breakfast

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple