“Very slow service”
Review of Russian Tea Room - CLOSED

Russian Tea Room
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A spectacular emporium of worldly delights, Russian Tea Room offers a selection spanning from caviar and vodka to a 150-strong stock of fine loose leaf teas. Made using the highest quality ingredients, the Russian Tea Room menu offers token favourites like mushroom stroganoff and succulent chicken kiev, as well as less well known dishes.
Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

Visited for a drink whilst visiting the Christmas market. It was very busy and we expected a short delay but what we experienced was ridiculous. Wanted 2 coffees & 2 lemonades. I queued for 15 mins to make my order & paid. We then had to wait for a further 45 mins for the drinks. It was ridiculous. They seemed very under staffed just 3 working. But why take your money if they can't so the orders?
I wouldn't go back as this visit put me off as I don't think it acceptable to wait an hour for 4 drinks.

2  Thank siennamary

Reviewed November 30, 2013

Arrived at 12.30 never got seen to or drinks till 1.10pm food was dished up at 1.40pm
chicken was raw in the middle along with another large table opposite who had ordered the chicken 3 times an there food was raw too eat hear at your peril FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER WALKED OUT OF A RESTURANT AND PLACED A REVIEW ONLINE

1  Thank ddanjone123
Reviewed November 30, 2013

After a few friends had visited the Russian Tea Rooms whilst holidaying in Skipton (I live locally), and a Russian girl I met said it was the nearest experience to being at home she had encountered in the UK, we decided to give it a try! We were not disappointed. We went for a relaxing lunch, and that is exactly how we were made to feel as we arrived. The vodka menu is great, and we indulged in a vodka apperitif which was delicious and beautifully cold. The food was imaginative and introduced new flavours to us - it was very tasty, and well prepapared. My husband hates tea, but he did enjoy my Bangali Chai...we will definitely visit again, particularly as it is on our doorstep!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

When the Russian Tea room (RTR) arrived in Skipton, I could not wait for an excuse to visit, and it became my favourite place to take family and friends. My family and I went several times over winter but have not been for several months.

We were very disappointed with our visit. On my first trips to the restaurant we were greeted at the door by friendly staff in Russian costume, on this visit we were greated by a distracted woman in a coat, as it was obviously cold.

We went upstairs and there was only one member of staff waiting on all the tables, which meant the service was just not as polished or as stylish as we have come to expect from the restaurant. My family and I eat in a wide variety of restaurants including Michelin star restaurants. The RTR used to have service equal to the best now sadly the staff just did not have the time to make you feel welcome.

Thank fully the menu has changed and the disaster of serving a fantastic Russian Strogonoff in a Yorkshire Pudding has gone. However it used to be served with vegetables and an amazing Potato Rosti (which was one of the best things on the menu and now no longer available sadly) now it is served unimaginatively with rice.

We were all appalled to see that the bread roles were from a catering pack. Considering that Skipton has a plethora of fantastic bread makers it seems a shame not to have a good bread role with your starter. I did not have one at all and this meant my starter of cheesy prawns was lacking in substance and was so rich and salty I asked for a class of water. My mother was very disappointed with her choice of fish soup which lacked the fish. Her main course was not much better with a tomato which has been plunged into hot water and not skinned on the side. None of us felt our meals were worth what we paid for them as they were not a balanced meal.

We were so disappointed with our meal we decided not to risk desert and we won't be visiting the tea room again. We used to feel that this was a fantastic restaurant, good value and a great experience, we will no longer take people or recommended it to others.

The Russian Caravan Tea was the only thing that was to the usual standard.

1  Thank Anna B
Reviewed November 20, 2013

IT is difficult to imagine what Robert de Romille, the Norman baron who built Skipton Castle in 1090, would have made of his new nearest neighbour.

I doubt whether he would have expected her to be called Olga Penney and to be running the Russian Tea Room in the very shadow of the castle on the main street in Ripon, North Yorkshire.

But then everything about this incongruous neighbour is unexpected.

Born in Siberia, she qualified to teach Russian to "foreigners" at the Moscow-based Pushkin Institure of Russian Languages and Literature.

And entering the ground floor of her tea rooms is to discover an Aladdin's cave of caviar, vodka, teas and Russian dolls.

Upstairs you can sample any one of the 158 teas she has on offer from around the world. But if that is all you do when you visit, then you are missing a gastronomic treat.

For despite its name, this is a restaurant that serves some of the most original and unusual dishes I have come across in quite some time.

And I am not saying that just because I have sampled her 88% proof Balkan 176 Vodka at £4.75 - the strongest vodka in the UK, triple distilled and alongside which in red letters it says: "Drink Responsibly"

No I am saying it because having so often been disappointed by trying new places only to find the same cliched dishes on the menu - pork belly being the present "must eat" dish of the day.

Nor am I saying it just because they have an imaginative children's three-course menu(£3.99) which includes skewer of chicken shashlik and stuffed pancakes.

It was just such a pleasure for four of us to go on an eating tour de force where each course was a discovery and a delight.

One of friends started with Beef Borsch(£4.75) served with sour cream and bread which he declare excellent. His wife went for Grilled Vegetables(£3.95) consisting of zucchini,mushrooms, tomatoes, onion and peppers, brushed with olive oil and grilled and she seemed equally content.

My wife and I both went for the £3.95 Gullen. Served in a miniature grill pan, it consists of either chicken, mushroom or prawns cooked in a creamy sauce with a baked cheesey top. I went for the chicken, my wife the mushroom version and both voted it delightfully different.

We could have started on Uha - a fish soup featuring tuna, potato, rice, carrots, black pepper, onion and lemon juice(£4.50) or even pancake with caviar(£3.95) served with sour cream on the side.

For mains we each picked at the others' plate. So we in effect shared at the Drunken Pig(£10.95) which was a juicy shoulder of pork marinated in strong Russian beer and then quick fried in egg and breadcrumbs and served with a side dish of apple cinnamon and grain mustard.

Then it was the turn of the Pelmeri(£6.95) - their best seller - 13 handmade dumplings filled with fresh mincemeat and onion with bullion, sour cream, beetroot. horseradish and mustard.

On next to Vareniky(£6.95) which was in some ways a veggie twist on the previous, consisting of 10 big vegetarian dumplings filled with potato and caramalised onion and served with sour cream.

Last but not least was the Fish Boat(£9.95) which featured a fillet of white fish cooked on a bed of mashed potato with finely-diced zucchini and carrots and garlic plus cheese.

With soft drinks plus a couple of Russian Obolon beers(£4.45 each) and two glasses of Cuvee Jeanpaul(£4.25 each), the whole feast came to £72.70 and judging from the empty plates and satisfied expressions, everyone thought it well worth the money.

But be warned. This is rich fare, beautifully served by an attentive staff. Apparently it took Cromwell a three-year seige to capture Skipton Castle. I reckon we will have to train seriously for just as long if we are ever going to be able to move onto the extensive third course and beyond.

But will we try next time we visit? - da, da da!