“Marvellous food, staff and accommodation”

and 1 more site!
The Woolly Sheep Inn
Ranked #3 of 33 Skipton B&B and Inns
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“Marvellous food, staff and accommodation”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This is an old pub in the centre of a popular tourist town with rooms above the bar. The rooms are quirky and small and have small en-suite shower rooms. If you go to bed before they stop serving you are going to hear the buzz of the bar below, and if you have the window open there is going to be street noise. The location, food and staff more than make up for any of these limitations. The manager's wife seemed to work particularly hard to make it all a good experience. Will book again and bring friends.

Quite a large step to get into and out of the shower, a wall grab rail would help those of us who are not so mobile.

Room Tip: There are rooms higher in the pub which I would guess are quieter but I was happy where I was.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JaniceM-Tech

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights,Mon, Tues, Wed,in room 5, it was very comfortable & clean, the breakfast/food, was excellent & the staff were all very friendly. We had the steaks for our evening meal,& what a great idea having the chips cooked in lard, delicious!!The only fault we could find, was a very loose toilet seat, it has been broken for a while too, as the was rust on the snapped bolt, but the positives far out weighed that, hence my excellent rating!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AlexandraFord23, General Manager at The Woolly Sheep Inn, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thankyou for your great review! We're glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Room 5 is a lovely room, especially when spending more than 1 night with us. I must apologise about the toilet seat, this has been fixed thankyou for bringing it to our attention. We hope that you will visit again soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Decided, to stay at the Woolly Sheep after reading rave reviews on Trip Advisor. Location great , staff friendly and very courteous. Restaurant a big disappointment. Menu looked inviting but when meal was served (after a long wait) we were very disappointed. Turned out to be very "cheffy" My partner chose from the specials board Bishop Thornton belly pork which was accompanied by Broccoli (two sprigs) and carrot puree (a teaspoon dragged across the plate) very small portion of food in all. I noted that this dish on the specials menu along with several others was more expensive than when ordered from the regular menu. My dish was sirloin steak. This was cooked to my satisfaction but cut into strips and served on top of a couple of small spoons of creamed leeks. This was surrounded by half a dozen sentry- like roasted cherry tomatoes. I had thought that these miniscule portions had disappeared some years ago along with Nouvelle Cuisine but apparently not at the Woolly Sheep. These servings would be good on a taster menu but not for an evening meal. Slow service was perhaps a blessing otherwise the meal would have been finished in half an hour. As it was we still had half of the bottle of wine we began at the start of the mealleft when the meal was over. We stayed three nights but needless to say dined elsewhere on the other two nights. Breakfast was fine and plentiful, however I did not appreciate and have never seen torn basil on breakfast mushrooms before (only served one morning, where they left over from previous night's dinner menu?)
Rooms were fine but we found it difficult to see why my companions were charged £5 per night more for a double than for our twin bedded room which had two windows was larger bedroom and had a bigger bathroom than the double!! I don't understand how this can be justified when the occupancy is the same. As for the housekeeping although the room seemed clean on first inspection I found a teaspoon on the bedroom floor half under the bedside cabinet when I arrived and the toilet had not been flushed. Considering check out time is eleven and keys are not provided until 3pm. Four hours between should have been adequate to service the room properly. I did not bring my concerns regarding the room to the attention of the management as this was a Birthday treat and I was a guest of my companions and didn't wish to cause them embarrassment.

Room Tip: lots of stairs to low number rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bedford
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights, excellent location as very central. Staff very pleasant. Website says toiletries provided, this was small containers of shampoo, shower gel and conditioner which were not replaced when empty and neither were the bottles of water on hospitality tray once we had drunk them. Felt the chef thought he was on Masterchef as food very fancy on the menu. We ate here one evening and both had the Ploughmans which was served on a slate for some reason. It consisted of small amount of shredded lettuce, pâté, 2 pork pies each and an egg that was supposed to be pickled but wasn't, a little dish of pickle, sliced apple, cheese and 2 very small slices of toast. Breakfast was plentiful but today my traditional breakfast was served as a tower with fried egg on top, strange. I felt the restaurant meals very overpriced. I feel the Woolly Sheep underwhelming and overrated.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I'm sorry that you found your experience with us underwhelming. May I apologise about the waters not being replaced, as this is something that should be done every day and clearly a mistake was made. Although we endeavour to replace toiletries, if shower gels etc have only been partially used, then sometimes housekeeping will leave them with the guest, under the assumption that they are happy to use the remainder of the product the next day. This eliminates pointless wastage, but if you felt short changed in any way I apologise. You have commented on the presentation of your food, and whilst I agree this can be down to personal preference, and that it may not have been to your taste, this is not something we can do a lot about. You have not mentioned the taste or quality of your food, which I hope was satisfactory. Did you speak to any staff about your stay? We are always happy to help with any problems, especially food related as our kitchen are very accommodating and we take a lot of pride in what we do. I hope that if you decide to give us a second chance, we can show you what the woolly sheep is all about and provide you with a great experience.
St Helens, England
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed at the Woolly Sheet for a couple of nights. Couldn't really fault it. The staff were all extremely pleasant. The room was on the small side (Room 4), but had all the necessary tea, coffee, biscuits etc. which were replenished each day and lovely shampoo etc in the bathroom. The breakfast was delicious. We had dinner one evening which was very good. All in all a lovely B & B with exceptional courteous staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AlexandraFord23, General Manager at The Woolly Sheep Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your amazing review of the Woolly Sheep. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and that our staff made your visit extra special. Being an old pub, some of our rooms are slightly 'cosier' than others - if you return why not try one of our superior double rooms? For just a small increase in price (£15 if booked directly with us) you get one of our spacious, stunning top floor rooms, complete with sofa and coffee table, and both a bath and shower. Thank you again for your review.
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Pub B & B in middle of town, very pretty rooms with view.Room was outfitted with biscuits, tea, coffee. Dinner menu was "foodie" menu.....a gastro pub. Waitress suggested the fresh fish and chips , fish made with local ale; it was a great meal! Dinner menu was a few steps above the average pub meal, all fresh and locally sourced. Breakfast was made to order, plus juice, fresh bread, set out buffet style. Wait staff was friendly, and made good menu recommendations, and remembered us as we came and went throughout the day. Dinner seating can be inside or outside on covered patio. Car park was free, secure and located behind the patio. Nice pub atmosphere, pleasant, cheerful. Directions and tourist phamphlets available.
Really enjoyed staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrew_Goodall, General Manager at The Woolly Sheep Inn, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thankyou for giving us such a concise and positive review, I'm very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us so much, especially being seasoned travellers and haveing come such a long distance. Our Fish and Chips are hard to beat :)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skipton
Rendezvous Hotel
The Unicorn
The Unicorn
#5 of 33 in Skipton
Throstle Nest Farm Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Woolly Sheep Inn? Share your experiences!