All reviews old english inns old coaching inn old building wedding breakfast eggs benedict town centre high street function room nice atmosphere superior room fish and chips wedding reception full english weekend break a lovely stay wedding party bar area
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Lovely atmosphere with great people, lovely homely rooms and staff are all so lovely. The manager Sam has worked wonders in putting this place very much back on the map. Very dog friendly and function room is very veritile 5☆

Trip type: Traveled with friends
6457greneking, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a fantastic review!!

Much appreciated

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

A group of us visited for an evening meal. Can’t recommend I’m afraid m. I had prawns in garlic and chilli to start. Looked great in picture but prawns hard and chew. Second course was a veggie burger with fries. Basic is all I can say. Again dry burger in a bun. No salad and bucket of fries that were nice.my colleague ordered a chicken pie and received a vegan pie with pastry that needed a hammer and chisel. She wasn’t given the choice of the change. Just disappointing!

Trip type: Traveled with friends

Thank you for finding the time to leave a review but I must state this is so sad to read!!

I can’t apologise enough this is not the standards we work towards delivering..

Please do try us again as you can see from previous reviews this is not how we operate..

Reviewed September 4, 2019 via mobile

Went for a meal with the missus for anniversary. As soon as we walked I was greeted by staff. Taken to our table straight away. Order food and came quick. I had the hunters chicken. Was absolutely amazing. Then for desert we shared the triple chocolate browie Sunde. It was huge and tasty. Couldn’t fault anything. Especially Roy top service was making sure we was ok and had drinks. Definitely recommend and will be back.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6457greneking, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review!
The Hunters chicken is also one of my favourites too!
New menu starts 17th sept some lovely new dishes arriving!

Shall pass on kind comments to Roy..
Thank you again!

Reviewed September 1, 2019

I have left a one star review for two reasons. Forst to warn other travellers and secondly in the vain hope that the management might pay attention.

I stayed for one evening on the Bank Holiday Monday in August. Overall it was quite acceptable BUT the room has no opening window (it actually opens about five inces only for 'security reasons') and it must have been 35C in the room. There is no air con.

I live i the south of France so I am used to the heat but this was ridiculous. At 3am the whole bed was soaked in sweat and I took a shower and walked outside to cool off.

If you have seen the 1960's movie 'Bridge on the River Kwai' starring Alec Guiness, the scene where he is looked in the underground sweat box for severl days is exectly like staying at the George.

In addition the glass of white wine at dinner was sent back due to being served warm because 'the fridge is broken'. Why serve it in the first place then?

The WiFi is some complicated affair where you have to register on the Cloud and was all too technical and boring for me and I used my private WiF. Why is it that so many hotels are in the dark ages when it comes to efficient, simple WiFi?

The chef knows how to cook a steak properly and it is not expensive but please either provide cooling fans in the rooms or at least allow the windows to open. I would gladly have paid NOT to stop here.

One excellent point it would be unfair not to mention is that the whole,hotel is non smoking. Well done for that at least.

!

Room tip: Bring a cooling fan!
Date of stay: August 2019
6457greneking, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your “honest review” However I am a little saddened by the star rating and the comments you have left.

The window restrictions up on the top floor are a legal requirement .

There was a fan in your room which was in the wardrobe all neat and tidy.
I fully take on board the comment in regards to the wine fridge. This has since been rectified.
I am pleased you enjoyed your steak,

Really can’t see the need for you to “ warn” other travellers?
As you can see from our reviews we are a very friendly hotel who take great pride in our service,Hotel and will always try to deliver a great experience for our guests.
If you would of come and spoke to us about the heat in the room we would given you another fan or asked if you found yours or even tried to locate you into a different part of the hotel.
I can’t really help the weather.. but do try to help make guests be as comfortable as possible during these unexpected heat waves.
The WiFi really is quite easy to use.. again we would of helped you, if given chance.

Reviewed August 28, 2019 via mobile

Great place to stay if you want to get away from bulk standard hotel. This is a very old coach house so nothing is level! Comes complete with squeaky floor boards.
Our room was upgraded to superior room f o c. We had a large room complete with large tv and sofa. We had to move tv in order to see it from sofa though as room was not well laid out!
The windows are sash and single glazed so was quite a bit of noise at night and early morning. Breakfast was very good, but can’t comment on meals as did not try.
Good position of hotel to town everything in walking distance. We had a very pleasant stay and brilliant weather!

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
6457greneking, General Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2019

Thank you for leaving us such a lovely review!
We hope to see you again soon..