“Excellent”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Huntingdon
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Room very clean. Book in great. Breakfast great. Staff very friendly. Definitely use again. Especially as pet friendly. Would not hesitate to recommend. Didn't eat evening meal, however what I saw coming out of the kitchen looked quality and lot of it. Prices in bar and meals all reasonable

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you really enjoyed your stay . We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My partner and I didnt stay at the hotel for no other reason than we had no need to, we live fairly close and had chose to dine in the restaurant after hearing about the 'Sizzler' night which at present is a Tuesday. We sampled the nachos to start (one person portion between us which was ample) and for main had the fajitas. Included in the cost of the meal was a drink of either a pint of beer or lager or a glass of wine. Main and a drink was £9.95 each, bargain, the food was hot, tasty and the portion sizes were more than sufficient The restaurant was clean and welcoming and the staff very friendly. We will return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SHEEPY2012
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your view with us all feed back is very welcome and we are pleased that you enjoyed your sizzler meal and thought it was great value. When you come again Why don’t you try our Spice night which is also a great meal and drink deal? We look forward to seeing you again!
Dereham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 2, 2013

At total cost of just under £60 for a three night stay B&B we were happy to accept the rather tired condition of the Hotel. The room was excellent of good size, clean and tidy with all the usual kit one expects today. The towel rail had obviously sprung a leak at some time and had had to be isolated. A pity as it meant that we could not get our towels dry so could not make them last the three days!
The staff were friendly and helpful although at times they were obviously somewhat overstretched. The food was excellent and arrived with a minimum delay. We tried two mains for under £10 on our last night and were very impressed. Only quibble is that it is the only hotel I am aware of that you can't have porridge and a cooked breakfast!! I guess this is policy at all the groups inns.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
OldEnglishInns, Manager at The George Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to put your comments online. I am glad that Steve and the team at George Hotel looked after you and you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again soon
Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We stayed for two nights in between Christmas and New Year and got a really fantastic deal at £9.95 b&b per person per night (minimum two night stay). The food was excellent, the staff were friendly and the room was comfortable. The hotel could do with a lick of paint but for the price we paid we really couldn't moan! There was a nice bar and restaurant and a lovely courtyard. All in all we had a great time and we'd definitely return. The town was nice and literally on the doorstep.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel about 20 times over the past few years.
Huntington has few hotels and so this hotel is frequently full. BOOK EARLY TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT -otherwise you may have to stay at alternative hotels (I have been sent as far away as Ely for an alternative..about 20 miles away!)
This hotel has good and attentive staff. No problem there.
I once stayed when there was a clairvoyants convention here (honestly!) - I can only chuckle that the clairvoyants couldn't tell me that I had been double-booked and would have to find alternative accommodation. (How ironic is that?)
My best stay was by accident. There was a Shakespeare play being staged in the quad outside my room, and instead of having to watch Corrie on the TV I was treated to Merchant of |Venice - my room window made it feel like a box at the theatre! Great stuff.
This place is steeped in history and character - the down side of this is that the noise insulation isn't too good, the whole building leans and twists, and its all a bit of an upsy-downsy trek to reception. But for the general ambience, I can forgive these minor niggles so easily.
The rooms themselves are fine. The furniture inside has 'grown organically' over the years rather than being designed from scratch. Good supply of essentials are available: Tea making facilities, hair dryer, individual soaps and shampoo etc.
This hotel is plumb centre of Huntingdon, so alternative diversions such as pubs and restaurants etc are on your doorstep. Alternative hotels are infrequently some way outside the town.
Since rooms overlook a quad, there is quite a bit of noise from the kitchens that echoes around the quad...especially in the summer when the kitchen doors are left open to minimise kitchen heat.
As a business visitor I would perhaps prefer the higher quality of the newer custom-built Marriot, but that costs an arm and a leg and is on an industrial estate a good few miles away!
My suggestion is to save some cash, drink in the history of this hotel, enjoy its location and try to ignore its comparatively minor imperfections'
Would I stay here again? I don't really have much choice! Its not heaven, but its a good few floors north of hell.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Singapore
Reviewed December 12, 2012

First stay at this hotel, we had two rooms.
Rooms were a little dated to say the least...yes it is an old coaching house, but should not stop them decorating the rooms?
Food was lovely, we had a meal for 23 people, pre-arranged and was disappointed no flexibility with this as one extra guest had to eat from normal menu??
Breakfast was again good, although the service needs attention at times....
Service from most staff was good but some staff need to address their attitudes.....whereby they think they are doing you a favour...not actually providing a service!
I did see the Marriot locally and it was a very high standard.....decoration and smiles are all that is required for the George to compete!

Room Tip: All seemed clean and tidy...all seemed dated!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank peterhone
Aberdeen
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I was expecting a little more from this hotel having read the reviews. In general it is an old courtyard hotel added to over the years and still retains it's charm, although it is in need of some upgrading and feels a little 'strapped for cash' in some areas. An abundance of badly marked carpets and poorly applied white emulsion lets it down.

The staff were great and very attentive and gave that personal touch some establishments lack, Just a pity their enthusiasm could not be matched by the very poor condition of the decor. This place has real potential and something other than the staff is letting it down.

Food unfortunately is nothing to write home about, ambitious, yes, but quality issues let it down badly This is possibly a little unfair as I was told that the head chef who is Polish was off on the evening of my stay and have never had any dissapointment from a Polish Chef as they are in general very accomplished.

Conclusion is that it is well worth a visit but do not expect too much, food is abitious but not accomplished (see my previous comment) and has some serious issues in regeneration of frozen produce and I did go a little hungry with two courses both being over dry and inedible.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jimsdub
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
Sandford House Bar and Hotel
#1 of 2 in Buckden
The Dolphin
The Dolphin
#3 of 4 in St Ives

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!