The George Hotel
  • Pool
$105
$70
  • Restaurant
Premier Inn Huntingdon (A1/A14) Hotel(Huntingdon)(Great Value!)
$58
PremierInn.com
The Old Bridge(Huntingdon)
$126
$87
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsold english innsold coaching innold buildingeggs benedicthigh streetfull englishsunday morningbar areaa lovely stayroom was largecooked breakfasttea coffeelovely mealwedding partycar parkingfish and chipsweekend break
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The public rooms were welcoming and comfortable, and obviously very popular. Unfortunantly the resident areas really need refurbishing. However what the 'George' lacked in polish was compensated for by atmosphere.The breakfast was good with plenty of choice.

2  Thank sunnydaysjill
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Thank you for your feed back on your recent stay at our Old English Inn. We value all your comments, and take them on board to offer the best service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Old English Inns in the future.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

My boyfriend and I have eaten in the hotel bar a number of times and have usually enjoyed our experience. The food is good value and nice enough. Unfortunately we have been to the restaurant twice this year, tonight and in the early part of this year as a party of 9. Both experiences have been really disappointing. The staff clearly work very hard but we get the impression that there are not enough of them. The restaurant was full but we were booked for 6.00pm so were the first to arrive. The waitress is new and did not seem well supported. The food all came out at different times and almost an hour went by before dessert order was taken. The order was confused three times. When they eventually came it was all very staggered. It was a special occasion this evening and it didn't feel special. Some of the food was nice but it was all a bit hit and miss. My brother's burger was very burnt and the fresh mint on the desserts was not enjoyed by anyone. The waitress although eager to please and sweet over-uses terms of endearment and it's a bit embarrassing. She was very very apologetic about the time it took as we didn't finish our meal until gone half past eight. Some people had their main and dessert and left in the time it took us to have our main and sit and wait for dessert order to be taken. Either some people are working very hard and others are not? or The George needs more staff. The quality of the food should be checked before sending it out.

1  Thank Poobarroo
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This historic hotel offers much promise, but is sadly lacking in the delivery. The hotel is more than 'tired', it is exhausted in places and areas of it were dirty as well as unkempt. Our rooms were comfortable and clean enough, however neither our double nor the single room had windows that would close and the windows themselves had not seen a chamoix for some time.
The staff were friendly and welcoming however the service was not good enough.
Our meal in the restaurant was average at best and inedible at worst. Two of the 5 starters were served cold arriving 10 mins after the first three. Of the main courses 4 out of 5 were 'fine' if a bit bland, the 5th - sausage and mash was horrible, being served with 'Bisto' gravy and somewhat elderly sausages, which sadly reappeared the next morning at breakfast !
Breakfast was a far better experience, fresh fruit and a good selection of cooked food were highlights. However, the sausages and mushrooms, which were indedible, were undoubtedly reheats from the night before.
The general atmoshphere of the hotel is pleasant and the bar area in the evening is a nice place to be, but The George needs a vast amount of money spending on it quickly and the chef needs a refresher course.

1  Thank Connieboo
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us and thank you for your kind comments about the breakfast friendly Team and comfortable bedroom.
I will of course review the décor and dinner issues you have kindly highlighted and take steps to improve standards straight away…many thanks again ..Steve Cook.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We travelled to this Hotel as we were attending a wedding in the area and all the other hotels were either pricey or fully booked. I booked based on other reviews on this site and I would agree that this is a decent place to stay.

Breakfast was included in the price and the selection was very good, ranging from just toast and cereals to a full English or eggs Benedict.

Service was very good and there was a nice friendly reception when we arrived, even though we got there at 10:30pm due to traffic on the way.

The pub was good and prices not too expensive, there was also some live music on the night we arrived, which although loud in the pub did not disturb in our room as it could not be heard.

The room was comfortable with a nice "rain" shower, flat screen TV, tea/coffee facilities and an iron (this came in use for pre-wedding shirt ironing!).

If I was in the area then I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank budhbrother
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us, we always appreciate all your feedback at Old English Inns and constantly work hard to deliver service and value. We look forward to welcoming you back to one of our Inns soon.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Despite the distance between London and Lincoln being fairly short I decided to stop halfway and visit Huntingdon. Despite some poor reviews I chose the George for its close proximity to the town centre.

I'm very glad I did. The George is a bit tired but I enjoyed my stay from the moment I walked in. There was a large wedding reception in progress but I was seen straight away and was allocated a room even though I was early. The single room was clean and the bathroom was up to date with a power shower. The bed was a good size with a good quality duvet. My bar meal for dinner was fine and served by friendly staff, breakfast was equally enjoyable.

Niggles? The room was very warm due to missing lagging on the heating pipes and some of the wedding guests became noisy during the night but overall I would recommend the George as a reasonably priced and comfortable hotel

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Micktheman
OldEnglishInns, Owner at The George Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012