“Delightful in every way”
Review of Cheriton House

Cheriton House
Ranked #10 of 19 Huntingdon B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Based on TripAdvisor reviews (thank you all!) we booked here for a night away, and can confirm everything previous reviewers have said about the service we received from Chris & Liz - we could not fault anything starting from the wonderful greeting on arrival (we really did feel like welcome guests) and the comfortable room provided, and ending with the delicious breakfasts. I was delighted to be offered gluten free bread and sausages (as well as cake the day before)! The area has a lot to offer from Cambridge & Ely nearby to walking or cycling around the villages - it helped that the weather was clear with a blue sky for the whole weekend, so we decided to take the circular walk starting from the interesting mill, along the river to St Ives, through a water meadow (quite muddy unsurprisingly), and back along picturesque villages. It took a few hours, and my legs did ache afterwards as it was about 8 miles but for those who like walking it was a very pleasant route. We ate at a bistro pub called the Cock in Hemingford Gray which we highly recommend. All in all, a fabulous weekend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 6, 2014

We arrived here on one of the few sunny days we had in over two week sin the the UK. The village and the B & B were quaint and welcoming. We were guided to the next village for dinner and a walk. We saw a wonderful working mill by the river, the river loch at work and a wonderful garden event at the next village. The breakfast was beautifully cooked with homemade bread made from flour ground at the local mill. The room was clean and thoughtfully fitted out. We saw amazing cottages and houses that were just what you would expect to see in an English village.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 21, 2013

This is a quaint village with Cheriton House a 100yds or so from a very scenic old MIll and river. The B&B owner must have extra sensory perception (or a camera) as he was waiting to greet me as I parked my car on arrival. I was shown to my room in an outside and adjoined annex to the main house. It was warm, clean and very spacious. I was asked if everything was ok and had explained to me the various places to eat. The torch provided for evening excursions was not working but was soon replaced without issue. There was also an umbrella for use should it be required, fortunately it wasn't. Attention to detail is so important. As with a lot of B&B's breakfast was ordered the night before with ample choice on the breakfast menu. I opted for a small cooked and this was adequate for me and having seen another guest taking the large full English I was pleased with my choice!. Well cooked and presented it was most enjoyable. If there was any issue it was with the narrow entrance to the premises and tight parking but that really wasn't anything major as long as you are a proficient and capable driver.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Having read the reviews on TripAdvisor, we stayed at Cheriton House with high expectations and were not disappointed! From the moment we arrived Chris and Liz could not have done more to make us feel comfortable and welcome. We only stayed one night as we were on our way to a family wedding, but were met with offers of help with our luggage, homemade mince pies and a beautiful cup of tea (seriously, Liz makes the best cup of tea!). They were able to recommend us a local pub for a drink which was a short walk away and had we had more time we would have explored the local walkways and canal that Chris told us about. A torch is provided in the room for those who like to go exploring in the dark.
The room was lovely and warm, very clean and comfortable with nice toiletries and tea-set provided. Breakfast was chosen from an amazing range of hot food and was the best cooked breakfast I've ever had. All the ingredients were great quality and everything was cooked beautifully. My only regret is that I didn't have enough room for the home-made bread and home-made preserves provided!
All in all, a wonderful stay and we're already looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Only stayed over night, but wished I could have stayed longer. If you are doing anything from Cambridge to Peterborough, this is THE place to stay. The village location is stunning, and the place itself is fabulous. I had only just pulled up the long driveway to the back of the property and the host was already outside to help me. They house is immaculate, my room was a large twin room with a dressing room and bathroom. All amenities including great wifi. All the information you could want was typed up in a leather bound folder, including details of walking trails, and you could even borrow push bikes. There was a large book case of reading material with everything ranging from traveling books to novels.
The breakfast menu was extensive and the only warning I can give you is make sure you are hungry. This is without doubt one of the best places I have stayed. Forget the over priced local hotels, this place is far better. Will definitely stay there next time, and there will be a next time.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kazza3
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We have stayed at Cheriton House several times and have yet to find anywhere to equal it. Liz and Chris are the perfect hosts and provide superb accommodation and breakfasts. We look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2013

For three years now, i have spent a month or more at Cheriton House. I am a Norwegian, and my business in C'shire has involved studying archives at a library in Cambridge. Even with two hours' travelling time a day, I have chosen to stay on in this Houghton lodging. The hosts' service, friendliness, helping hands, excellent food quality (this breakfast keeps you filled up half-way to a late dinner) have made such an arrangement more than worthwhile. I am also allowed to use the room as a chamber of study during daytime the whole week through, when I feel like it. Even such a use of the B&B institution is met with the kindest of attitudes!

Thus, Cheriton House is truly a place to be recommended in every way: Room standards, WiFi facilities, unmatched surroundings in a historical landscape - etc. The only problem is you sometimes feel you are unwittingly taking too great an advantage of the situation. Never a sour look to be discovered.

Jørgen Sandemose