“Comfy bed & large clean room”

Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Huntingdon
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stayed here on Sunday night, so the hotel was quite empty and quiet, which was nice as we're light sleepers. The receptionist was lovely, very helpful as we didn't know the area, she advised what time to leave to get to where we needed to be to avoid traffic etc, booked us a taxi for our night out and greeted us when we got back.
The room was very large, very clean and the bed was king size & comfy. The TV had a good selection of channels to flick through before going to sleep. As a place to sleep, I couldn't fault it, however, as a place to have a cooked breakfast, I could not recommend it.
The continental was fine, all your usuals (although I prefer to get my marmite in the little tubs as it's a bit messy to spoon it from the jar on to the plate in front of the toaster).
We were told that as there were less than 30 guests in the hotel, breakfast would be cooked to order. I ordered, soft boiled egg, black pudding, crispy streaky bacon, sausage & mushrooms. When the plate arrived it looked good, but potato rostis had appeared as well, no bad thing. Then I tried to take the top off the egg and released it was very very hard boiled. The black pudding shattered when trying to cut in to it and the bacon was like cardboard. The sausage & mushrooms were nice though. Maybe I should've sent it back, but the waiter seemed to spend a lot of time in the kitchen.
All that said, I wouldn't write it off, I know from other review that management do read these, so I hope I have been constructive in my criticism. I would definitely stay again & recommend it to others, it is cheaper than the alternatives in the area and really was a nice place to sleep, plus really handy location for getting anywhere you need to be in the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
MTurner2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for writing a review on your stay with us, I appreciate your feedback, I was please to read overall you enjoyed your stay. My apologies that our hot breakfast did not meet your expectations. I have discussed your comments with our head Chef who will address the points raised with his team, to ensure that our breakfast standards are consistently high. I do hope that your will choose to stay with us again, should your travel plans bring you back to the area.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Stayed here so we could visit Cambridge.
I felt it was rather expensive but you do get a free car park & free wi-fi.
Room was spotless & had great powerful shower & bath...
I don't watch loads of TV but my daughter commented that the screen could have been bigger.
Fantastic open bar/dining area where you could lounge around or dine more formally if you wished.
Usual breakfast choice with a cool addition of 'made to order' pancakes by a really humorous chef; we all loved these.
The one thing that we all enjoyed immensely, however, was the table football - we must have played it for hours.
I've no hesitation in visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jonny-Northerner
MTurner2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, I was pleased to read you and your family enjoyed your stay with us whilst visiting Cambridge.

I do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Sure - you can pay three times us much for a name, and trimmings, and posh bits, and probably a disappointment,, but if all you want is a lovely, spotless room, large bed, great bathroom, modern fittings, lovely common areas with attractive ornaments, books, board games, large flat screen televisions, helpful staff, lovely country surroundings, then this is the place for you. Couldn't fault anything. OK the breakfast was typical mass-produced hotel fare, but staff did their very best and were happy to cook certain items individually. Ticked most of the boxes and would definitely return. Well done.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
MTurner2013, General Manager at Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review you stay with us, I was very pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay, also that we were able to accommodate your requirements at breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Nice, modern Holiday inn just off the A14 and close to the A1 in a quiet location with secure parking. Rooms are excellent by Holiday Inn standard but hotel let down by everything else. Breakfast is a rip-off so avoid - continental breakfast is basically toast and a selection of 3 meats plus a few pastries for a tenner. Even worse, slack on topping up dishes. My tip is take your car to the nearby Co-Op in Brampton and stock-up.

They only offer slow WiFi internet in rooms (otherwise, pay £5 per day). Seemed to have some sort of filtering active which sent Yahoo! wonky so you might be in trouble.

No PC check-in lane, no newspaper to your door, no choice of welcome drink or points, Plats not upgraded, no water in room, no sleep system or turndown, no in-room pay movies etc.etc.

To summarise, good for a stoppover but not your regular HI 'service' experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank uk_hotel_expert

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am disappointed that our service did not meet your expectations. I would like to assure you that we appreciate the loyalty of all our IHG Reward club members. It would seem on the night you stayed with us we did not have an Executive room to upgrade you too, however when these rooms are available we are more than happy to do so for our Platinum Members.

Our WIFI is free and throughout the hotel with no filtering active, I am sorry we were unable to resolve the issues you experienced whilst you were with us. Our continental breakfast includes tea or coffee, a selection of fruit juices, as well as toast, pasties, cereals, yogurts, fruit salad, fresh fruit, cold meats, cheese and a selection of jams marmalades and spreads, for £9.95. I will ensure that your comments are brought to the attention of our Head Chef to ensure all items are available continually throughout all breakfast service times.

Thank you once again for your comments, I do hope that you will choose to stay with us again should your travel plans bring you back to the area, as we would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times on business and always praise the rooms and facilities

Unfortunately on this occasion, the hotel had a coach of german guests when i ordered dinner. Whilst the meal was fine, the service was not. Having finished my main course, after waiting more than 30 minutes for my plate etc to be taken away and asked if i would like dessert or coffee, i gave up and went to sign the bill, even then i was not asked if i would like anything further or if all was ok.

This service seemed to be that they were more concerned with the coach party!

Whilst i appreciate you have a large group to serve, please do not let other regular guests suffer as a result

Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing a review on your most recent stay with us. My apologies that our service fell short of the standard you have received during past stays. I appreciate your constructive criticism, which I have shared with my team to ensure we take steps to ensure we manage service more effectively when large parties are in house.

I do hope that you will continue to stay with us, we would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Just had a very pleasant stay at this hotel, situated on the racecourse at Huntingdon. This is really handy for the A1 and A14, and we chose it as we were attending a family wedding in the town. Although not in the town centre, it was only a £7 taxi fare away, and we felt, well worth it, as the hotel was so nice. Lovely light, spacious and clean rooms. The staff were pleasant and helpful. We liked the open plan foyer, lounge and dining room areas, and although the breakfast prices are a bit steep, the bacon baps were delicious! We booked in advance and got a very good room rate, so even with the breakfast we felt it was good value for money. We will definitely stay there again on our next visit to Huntingdon.

Room Tip: Very handy for the A1 and A14 but nice and quiet location.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I was pleased to read that you found our location suitable for your needs, also that the team were helpful during your stay. I would like to make you aware that we do offer advance purchase rates that include breakfast as well as room only, the inclusive rates offer a discount on our breakfast price should you wish to book breakfast in advance.

I do hope you will choose to stay will us again should your travel plans being you back to the area.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very polite staff, great service, food was good. Breakfast was a bit pricey. Rooms are nice and well kept. It's just outside the town of huntingdon so you will still need to drive to get to many places.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Nick C

Dear Guest

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us, I was pleased to read that your stay was an enjoyable one, also that the team provided great service. I do hope you will choose to stay with us again should your travel plans bring you back to the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
The Lion Hotel
The Lion Hotel
#1 of 2 in Buckden
The Waterfront Hotel, Spa & Golf

Been to Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse? Share your experiences!