“Go on...spoil yourself!”

and 1 more site!
The Old Bridge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Huntingdon
Reviewed October 11, 2010

We recently stayed at The Old Bridge, as a treat to ourselves for our wedding anniversary.
I had booked under the standard tarriff for a four poster room as we didn't require an evening meal as we were booked to eat elsewhere. The first thing I have to say is that you really are better off booking under their "weekend special" rate - for us it would have been cheaper - especially in room service terms, but more about that later.

As we arrived at The Old Bridge, we became very quickly aware that they also had a wedding going on....the spaces in the car park were really few and far between...and it's a large car park! We were dealt with very promptly and efficiently at reception, and made our way to our room. I had been very excited at the prospect of staying there - the rooms looked very luxiourious...and they didn't disappoint! We were in Room 1....a four poster room. Both the bedroom and the bathroom are spotlessley clean...in fact I have never seen such a clean bathroom! We didn't have one of the roll top baths (there are in Rooms 5 and 6 Four posters, and I believe some of the other rooms too), but I was still beside myself with how beautiful and clean both rooms were. The bed was very comfortable....excellent pillows and nice and firm. You do have bottled water in your room, but no hospitality tray of any description. We ordered tea via room service, with arrived promptly with lemon biscuits....delicious. I do have to say though that the the tea we had on both occasions (when we arrived and our early morning tea - which is complimentary) was acually lukewarm...not hot...which was a major letdown for such a beautifully presented tray of tea! With the tea that we ordered on arrival we also ordered two scones with jam and cream. I have never seen such big juicy scones! They were lovely. The tea and scones were chargable, but for what we got I was happy with the price. As I've said, tea or coffee is delivered to your room before breakfast and that is included in the standard tarriff. If we'd have booked under the "weekend tariff" rate - the cream tea would have been included in that too.

Contrary to some other reviews we did have bathrobes in our room and there were plenty of towels (again beautifully laundered).

The TV in the room was of high quality - Bang & Olfsen...much to my husbands delight.
The guest information pack was excellent - and gave very clear instructions on how to operate both the TV and the Air Conditioning unit that is in the room. I was very pleased to see an IPod dock (which you could use to charge an iPhone on too).

Toiletrees were excellent - Molton Brown. Also there was plenty of tissues, a vanity pack (cotton buds etc) and a shower cap in the bathroom. Wardrobe space was good, and plenty of wooden coat hangers.

We headed out for the evening - just as the evening wedding guests were starting to arrive. We returned about 3 hours later planning to have a drink in the bar before bed. Obviously, as a wedding party was taking place, the bar was BUSY. Nowhere to sit and nowhere to stand - unless you wanted to stand right in a corner! All the tables that were free had "reseved" signs on them. Now on hindsight it may well have been that the tables were reserved for residents - but as there was no one round to ask I'm not sure! In the end we decided just to head back to our room and perhaps order some room service - yes it would have cost - but we didn't mind as we were "treating ourselves".

Unfortunatley my when my husband rang reception, there was no reply and our call went through to answer machine. This had happened when I ordered our cream tea earlier in the day BUT the receptionist rang our room very promptly to assist us -even without me leaving a message! Alas no one returned our calls, and we weren't really in the mood to keep ringing or go back down to reception! The wedding was obviously keeping everyone very busy - and thats ok, but it's just a shame that we never managed to get a drink!

As I've said - the bed was very comfortable, and we had a great nights sleep.
After our morning tea, and after husband had read his complimentary newspaper - for which there is a good selection...some hotels we've stayed at only offer broadsheet newspapers, we went down to breakfast. Very prompt, polite service. An excellent selection of food....from pastries, porridge, fruit, meats, cheeses etc, down to the Traditional cooked breakfast, which of course we had! Absolutley delicious!

There is also a wine shop attached to the hotel - we never really got around to visiting that....I wish we had!

So to sum up: Spotlessly clean, attentive polite staff - although I think they could have done with a couple more on duty the night we stayed, from the breakfast - great food.
But if you're planning a weekend visit - do yourself a favour...don't just book for a room....book the weekend package.

Yes, The Old Bridge is expensive (on comparison we could have booked a Suite at a local hotel with a spa for cheaper that what we paid), but there is something about The Old Bridge that makes you want to return. I very much hope that we can return soon - I just hope there's no wedding on when we do! HOWEVER I would have loved to have got married there myself!

There are newer reviews for The Old Bridge

Reviewed October 3, 2010

I visited this hotel with my wife as we were attending a wedding nearby. We found the hotel to be clean and spacious with friendly, helpful staff. The quality of the food and service in the restaurant are exceptionally good. We will certainly go back for another visit and have no hesitation whatsoever in recommending this hotal.

Reviewed October 3, 2010

We were looking for a night away from the pace of work to relax and unwind and the Old Bridge fit the bill precisely.

The hotel is comfortable and well placed being only an hour or so from London so ideal for a weekend break.

We stayed just one night and had the weekend rate which included afternoon cream tea on arrival, bed breakfast and a 3 course evening meal. Wine was extra but there is a fantastic wine shop on site where you can do wine tasting great for choosing something new that you might normally overlook.

The meal was very good and the cheese board is recommended – they were at room temperature for a change.

Our room overlooked the roof of the restaurant so the view as a bit naff but it had a very comfy bed, a Bang and Olufsen TV and one of the most powerful showers I think I have ever been under. It was a little warm for our taste but there was A/C although we just opened a window and it was fine.

In the morning we had tea in bed and a choice of paper before going down to breakfast which again was very good.

Despite there being a wedding party in the hotel when we stayed we heard nothing and the room was very quiet.

All in all a thoroughly nice night and we will go back at some point – not something we often say so must have been good!

Reviewed September 27, 2010

I booked this hotel 3 months in advance for a stay in Sept 2010 to attend a wedding. I placed a telephone booking for a twin room and paid a deposit of £45 which I was told I would lose if I cancelled. I was not interested in booking breakfast as my daughter and I were not sure if we would feel up for it the next morning but was told breakfast was obligatory at a wacking price of £22.50 per person. A few weeks before the wedding, my mother had a mini stroke. Worried for her health, I rang 3 days before the wedding to cancel only to be told that it was the hotel's policy to give a week's cancellation notice so I would have to pay the full amount £145. I said I was unaware of this, and was told I had been sent an e-mail with the terms and conditions. When the receptionist read my e-mail address back they had written it down incorrectly so I never received the terms and conditions. The e-mail must have bounced back with a delivery failure notice but this was not followed up. I tried to argue my point and felt forced into either losing £145 or make arrangements to come to the wedding and should not have to accept 100% responsibility for this oversight on their part but they were having none of it and coldly insisted I pay up or go to the wedding. I decided to go to the wedding and requested non feather pillows due to allergies, sadly this too had been overlooked and after having had them changed late in the evening by someone who had worked there for 18 years who would have known the difference I took this up with reception who said that they had put non feather pillows in my room. At check out, I tried to speak with the Manager but couldn't get past the receptionist who did speak with the Deputy Manager (for 30 seconds) to be told I would not be awarded any compensation and there was nothing they could do about it. Lovely hotel, beautiful rooms but not a fair and satisfactory hotel experience.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank MadameButterfly10
OLDBRIDGEHOTEL, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2010

We are sorry to hear of 'Madame Butterfly''s disappointment and certainly apologise for the miscommunication.
If I can just clarify that we do take a small non-returnable deposit on bookings. And also that the cancellation terms for weekend bookings are indeed seven days. But we do always offer the option of re-booking the room for a future date, without charge.
If I can also clarify that our breakfast is always included in the room rate - we do not offer a room-only rate. If a non-resident has breakfast we charge £12.95 per person.
Once again, my personal apologies that any of our team might have seemed cold or indifferent, that is certainly not ever our intention.
John Hoskins, Proprietor of The Old Bridge

Reviewed September 17, 2010

My stay in the Old Bridge hotel was brief but very pleasant. The staff were friendly on arrival and we were shown to our room by the receptionist which is always a nice touch I think. The room was clean, stylishly decorated and had a good feel to it – we specifically requested this room after reviewing each of the options on their website. The bathroom was very nice and had a proper free standing bath.

We ordered breakfast in bed which came promptly and had everything we could have wanted – breakfast in bed was offered at no extra charge.

The car park was spacious and had plenty of room for guest’s cars.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2010

My husband & I stayed at the Old Bridge Hotel for a weekend in September 2010. From the outset I was impressed - when making the booking over the phone I spoke about taking our small dog which was not a problem as the hotel allow dogs in certain rooms. We went for the weekend package which includes a 3 course meal from the al-a-carte menu. Check in was swift and professional. The room was not large (room 3) but was nicely decorated. We recently stayed elsewhere for a similar price and this hotel was so much nicer and very professionsal. The serice is of a very high standard, The restaurant staff all seem to be well trained and nothing seemed to be too much trouble. Complimentary afternoon cream tea on arrival is a nice touch. Early morning newspaper and tea delivered to the room at the time of your choice. I would recommend this hotel and would certainly go back if in the area again.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2010

My wife and I spent a Sunday night here for our wedding anniversary, and we can't speak highly enough of The Old Bridge.

We opted for a package which included room (one with a four-poster bed and a spectacular bathroom), afternoon tea on arrival, three-course a la carte dinner, early-morning coffee and paper delivered to our room, full English breakfast, and £15 of wine-tasting vouchers for the adjoining wine shop (just the right amount for two people to do a pre-dinner tasting). At little more than £200 GBP for two people, this represented fantastic value for money.

Our room was breath-taking and comfortable, and, just as importantly, spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable and the accommodation spacious. The hotel as a whole has an excellent ambience, and the staff are welcoming and helpful, without ever crossing the line into obtrusiveness.

The food at The Old Bridge is exceptional - quality, preparation and presentation are second-to-none. And the wine list is both extensive and with a good range of prices. As a result of our wine-tasting on the Sunday evening, we purchased a number of bottles to take away with us on Monday morning.

And, finally, one drawback - which actually wasn't a drawback for us at all! Huntingdon, as a place, is no great shakes. We were coming from Cambridge (16 miles away) to spend some time in a 'cocoon', so didn't mind being in the hotel for the duration, but if you're expecting lots to do in the environs, this may not be the place for you. However, Huntingdon is well connected for Cambridge, so it could be a good base if you'd like a day-trip to the university town.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
The George Hotel
Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse
The Dolphin
The Dolphin
#3 of 4 in St Ives

Been to The Old Bridge? Share your experiences!