“An enjoyable stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Huntingdon
London, United Kingdom
“An enjoyable stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We liked the large and well maintained bedroom and bathroom, plus the friendly service from the mostly young team that are the face of the hotel.

Enjoyed breakfast more than dinner, but the chance to try various interesting wines by the glass with dinner was a plus.

On site wine shop is excellent, nearby A14 (not audible in the room) is not!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thanks very much for the review. It's true the A14 is close by but (as you kindly say) it's not audible from inside. And the great news is that the plans have been approved to move it completely!

John Hoskins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Pershore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed two nights in July and much appreciated the hotel and the service. After a couple of strokes, my husband now walks with a trolley; he found the ramp to the hotel manageable, and the staff were most helpful in indicating the way (his vision has been affected too) and opening doors for us.
Unfortunately, he fell on the first night in the early hours of the morning and hit his head on the sharp corner of the dressing table and became entwined in the trolley. The night duty manager (Sally) came at once and called the emergency services. She was a calm and reassuring presence (my husband’s face and hands were covered in blood). She and the policewoman (the first of the emergency services to arrive) were able to extricate him from the trolley and he was able to sit in the chair while we waited for the paramedic. Fortunately, the wound was superficial and, after some careful cleaning up, he was able to go back to bed. A nice touch was when a manager knocked on our door next morning to check that all was well and to offer us breakfast in the room.
The quality of the food and the cooking was excellent, with changing menus and imaginative use of ingredients; many items are available all day. Breakfast was particularly impressive. The food is supported by an exceptional wine list. The dining room is light and airy, and feels casual: formal dress is not required, but is not out of place.
Our room, 32, was indicated for us, since it is on the same level as the bar, restaurant etc. but since the shower was above the bath my husband was unable to use it. The decor was agreeable and the bed very comfortable.
Should the opportunity arise, we should be very happy to stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Godmanchester, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

The Old Bridge is a lovely place to go, the bar is a great place to meet friends and enjoy a very good glass of wine and a bar meal. The restaurant is welcoming, the food is excellent and the service is faultless. The wine shop has something for any wine lover and John and Stuart are a mine of information and advice if required. The top terrace is lovely as is the rear terrace for a function. The rooms are lovely as is breakfast. A lovely place to be.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We love staying at this hotel but not for the first time our experience has been spoiled by a noisy party on Saturday night. I phoned reception at 11.30pm and was told it was about to finish (no apology was given) when in fact it went on until nearly midnight. The music was just too loud and our room was reverberating to the base notes! It spoiled an otherwise lovely stay - thanks to Danielle for looking after us with a smile at both dinner and breakfast on our last day.

Room Tip: Ask if there is a party planned during your stay
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Vera D

Many apologies. We did indeed have a large party in our Riverside area on Saturday night. When this happens we do not let to other guests the rooms in the immediate vicinity. You were nearby in Room 5 and I had not realised you could also hear the music from there. So we will certainly add that room to the 'out of let' list.

Please contact me directly at the hotel so I can offer a small token of apology if you are able to stay with us again in the future.

John Hoskins, Proprietor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

My wife can be difficult to please but she very much enjoyed her stay here and I earned a lot of Brownie Points. I was very much impressed. The hotel is a good example of a business that has very much thought about the nature of the business that it is running and seeks to do simple things well
The hotel combines good accommodation with fine dining, staff who are helpful and well trained, and the added pleasure of being able to learn a little about wine in a friendly environment.

Rooms: We were required to choose a hotel at less than 24 hours notice. No double rooms were available but the hotel allowed us to use a large single room. The room was quite adequate. Although we did not view the double rooms, ours was nicely fitted and the bathroom was of a high standard. The map shows the hotel to be close to a road but there was no road noise in our room

Staff: The staff have clearl been well trained and their service was impressive. Staffing levels were high, staff were uniformed and all behavior was professional

"wine experience": The hotel contains a wine shop with a wide range of European and international wines. Experienced staff including a Master of Wine were present and helped one to taste and understand wines. Wines on the restaurant list were explained but one could separately choose any wine from the shop and have it served at the restaurant. Time may be necessary to ensure adequate chilling. Aware of their business, one is presented with a wide range of wines both in terms of wine type but also cost. Thus a good wine but at an economical price could be chosen. I think that wine tastings for groups could be arranged while an economical card system allowed us to taste an interesting group of wines. Staff held no pretensions and were very helpful

Restaurant: the restaurant had a number of per dinner lounges and an outside area. They allowed a pleasant preparation for the meal. Staffing levels were good and attendance to our requests were prompt. The menu was good and the food was well above average standard with my wife being especially impressed by the fish and the risotto. The breakfast was held in a separate dining area and was a delightful area. The evening restaurant is adjacent to an outdoor dining landing with the capacity for doors to be left open in summer. We were inside. The hard floors and the lack of natural 'baffling' made us aware that the restaurant could be noisy but this did not irritate us as it was mostly of people having fun

Others: I am not from the UK but thought the price to be quite acceptable to us. Time prevented us looking around the town and surrounding villages but the immediate gardens, the adjacent river and the surrounding block were excellent. I presume like all UK villages and towns that there are lots to see. Access was easy and parking good. We were on the second floor and I am not sure if a lift is present. Staff offered to move luggage but this was not an issue for us.

Why did we like it : Someone smart who understands their business has organized this. A good grouping of accommodation, fine food, pleasant surrounds and a wine experience. Staff who have been well trained and whose professional behavior suggests that they enjoy their work

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bradicu
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Thank you so much for one of the best reviews we have ever had. You are very kind.

Bedfordshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I am absolutely outraged at the additional charges this hotel made to our stay when we checked out after one nights stay with them. The reason I am writing this review is to warn others. I sent an email requesting the reservation of a room and was sent an email informing me that the only room available was the four poster bedroom at the cost of £135, so I thought as it was a special occasion that was fine and then I also requested to book a table for two in the restaurant on the evening of our stay. So received confirmation of my booking for the room and also received a separate confirmation for the booking of the restaurant. On checking out I noticed an additional charge of £45, so I questioned the receptionist who informed me that I had someone else in the room with me!!?? so there was an additional charge of £45 for that person. That person was my husband to be!! Did they not think that they should have informed me that the charge of £135 was not per couple seeing as I was booking a table for two as well. What on earth did this hotel think??!! Most hotels charge by the room not per person!!. To say I am outraged is an absolute under statement. It is such as a shame as the hotel staff were very good and our stay would have been very enjoyable, but I wouldn't stay again out of principal, why on earth should i put another penny in their pocket!!??. I have sent several emails to them complaining, but they are sticking to their guns that my booking was charged for one person. I spent a total of £364.40 for one nights stay and a reasonable meal. So they have lost what would have been good, future repeat business customers. Good customer service, I don't think so!!! This is just one way of squeezing a bit more money out of their customers who had already spent quite enough at their hotel!!!

Room Tip: Make sure when you make your booking and you are a couple, that you state you are a couple otherwise...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank mx5fan
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
I am really sorry you are so aggrieved about this. But I must point out that you made your booking via our website, where you stated that you were 1 guest. We also confirmed by email to you (I have a copy in front of me) again stating that you had booked for 1 guest.

Our rate card on the website and our brochure make it 100% clear that the rate for 1 guest and 2 guests are not the same. It is true that in some hotels they are the same (but never in a hotel that includes full English Breakfast) but equally true that many others like us have 2 rates. By chance I am currently staying in the outstanding 'One Royal Circus' in Edinburgh, where all rates are quoted per person.

I really don't see what my team have done wrong on this occasion I am afraid. I am just sorry that it means we will not see you again.

gloucestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2013

I have visited and stayed in the old bridge on several occasions, as I once lived in Huntingdon and still have family in the area. It is always of the same high but un stuffy standard with a lovely calm and unhurried atmosphere. The food is always very good and the breakfast simple with all you need and not a confusion of choices, but very high quality ingredients. The rooms are very clean and the decor lovely. I have been ill recently and made a few requests before arriving to aid my comfort. They were met, as I expected, without any fuss. The manager has been there for ages, which I feel is the key to the excelance of the bridge. She is keen to meet guest's needs in a genuine way and she manages the staff well, especially as many are quite young and yet are very good.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely and well described on the internet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Many thanks to Dianna and all others who kindly take the time to give such positive feedback.
Kind regards
John Hoskins
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
Hotel Felix
#8 of 36 in Cambridge
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,100 reviews
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection

Been to The Old Bridge? Share your experiences!