The Old Bridge
The George Hotel(Huntingdon)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewswine shopsconeswine listcream teaterrace restauranthuge bathroomby the glassfour posterroll top bathincluded afternoon tearing roadopen firea pre dinner drinkfresh milktriple glazingbar areasunday lunch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We recently stayed at the old bridge for two nights and we had a very nice stay. The rooms were very good, the food was excellent and the service was without fault. Our only problem was the noise from the A14. My advice would be to stay in a room looking away from the main road, apart from that it was lovely!

Reviewed July 5, 2013

This is an expensive hotel - £180 a night. It claims exceptional service. All the staff were very pleasant. The bedroom (30) was clean apart from dust behind the B&O tv. The bed (2 singles pushed together) was OK but not among the most comfortable. The plumbing in the bathroom left a lot to be desired. The toilet flush was inadequate and needed 2 or 3 attempts to empty. The shower was over the bath and the drainage was extremely slow - the water was over our ankles very quickly. There was a great deal of black mould around the tiles. Only liquid soap was available - not the claimed up market brand - and it was not really satisfactory for washing my face before shaving. Our face cloths were not replaced for the second day's stay, in spite of requesting this from reception. Our newspaper (not complimentary) did not arrive on the second morning.
Breakfast was OK but nothing out of the ordinary.
All in all poor value for money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank raymarks
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

We are always happy to take appropriate criticism. So no excuses, and personal apologies, for dust behind the tv and black mould on the tiles. (I have just checked and I can see some; 'a great deal' is an exaggeration). We will also address the toilet flush - maintenance team can sort that out on Monday I am sure. Sorry too for the team not reacting to your request for fresh face cloths - and forgetting the second day's newspaper. The last 2 points are particularly regrettable (as so easily avoidable) and we will have a serious team chat about what went wrong.

In response to the other points, I feel I have to make a proper defence.

The bed is not 2 singles pushed together it's a zip-link double bed, six foot six wide in total, that can be split into a twin if required. Comfort may be a personal choice in the end, but I assure other readers that these are really very good quality beds - the same as used by luxury brand Firmdale in London. The mattresses are topped with rather lovely wool 'toppers'. We have literally never had anything but compliments about our beds.

The drainage in the bath is fine. The issue is that we have a 2 bar pressure pump which provides a fantastically strong jet of water. Yes you get water round your ankles, but there is no danger of a flood, as you are standing in a bath. Why focus on this tiny point and not mention the quality of the shower?

Liquid soap is available but there is also a soap bar in the toiletries box (with the cotton wool etc). Yes we have changed from Molton Brown as we feel it has become too ubiquitous in the 'high street'. We have changed to Miller Harris which we prefer, which costs us more and which Sam Cam gave to Michelle Obama on her recent visit. (irrelevant I know, but some sort of claim to fame for those interested in 'upmarket brands').

The breakfast: if the only comment is 'ok' then I get the sense that we didn't make any mistakes here. And hopefully other reviewers' assessments might be taken into account by readers.

Finally onto price. Yes we are expensive - I think UK hotels are all pretty expensive. £180 for a large double - (£160 is the rack rate for a normal double; or £195 for dinner, bed and breakfast at the weekend) - does include £36 of VAT of course. And it includes 2 x £15 breakfasts. And you do get good quality tea and coffee in your room. And our staff are pleasant (thank you). So if we get it right - if we don't make the mistakes which I have apologised for above - then I do think that within a UK context we are good value. But as we failed in those areas then obviously the reviewer is right that we failed to live up to our claims on this occasion. We will learn from that.

John Hoskins, Proprietor

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We were looking for somewhere to eat and an escape from the traffic jams of the A-road. We drove past The Old Bridge and I knew I wanted to eat there. What a perfect location right by the river. the weather was beautiful so we sat outside. The staff came quickly and were very efficient and friendly. We ordered steak sandwiches with chips. I ordered mine rare and my partner well done - in the end we both got medium, but it was delicious all the same!
I had a beautiful cappucino with fabulous biscotti.
The hotel was beautiful inside and I wished I had been able to stay. It looked very decadent. I bought some wine from the wine shop, the staff were very knowledgable and friendly (although I feel they should have a larger English wine selection).
All in all I was very impressed and would definately go back for dinner and to stay.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Travelling home from France, we must have passed Huntingdon many times, but being 5 Km off the A1 we never diverted. This time we went in for a look, and while driving round the central ring road saw the Old Bridge and were instantly drawn to it.
The rooms are beautifully cared for, and have all mod cons. The bed was very comfortable, and the bathroom spacious and well equipped. Breakfast in the room (no extra charge) was thoughtfully prepared and presented. I wish we had eaten in the rstaurant.
There is a vey good wine shop attached to reception, with excellent selections etc.
Only criticism was the lack of help to take the cases to the room (3 sets of stairs up).
On our travels through England-shire, this is going to be a return venue.

Reviewed June 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Old Bridge for my birthday weekend,the weekend of the end of May Bank holiday.We had a lovely time. The room ( a superior) was spacious and the bathroom and shower gorgeous. Beautifully decorated and well equipped. We had the weekend "bed breakfast and dinner "break. The food was very good indeed.. But the really special thing about this hotel is the service. The staff could not have been more courteous or attentive,without being intrusive. We hope to stay here on a regular basis, if we can afford to!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple