“Beautiful setting - spoilt a little!”
Review of The Old Bridge

and 1 more site!
The Old Bridge
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Huntingdon
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I visited The Old Bridge with my partner for a romantic celebratory meal. The setting is superb - the entrance to the hotel being lit by a pathway lined with twinkling Christmas Trees.

On entering the restuarant we were greeted and shown to a table at the far end of the restuarant almost in a little offshoot which i found somewhat dissapointing at the time however in hindsight it was probably for the best as the main body of the restuarant soon filled up with some pretty noisy Christmas party goers. Even so the noise level were we were seated made polite conversation between the two of us nigh on impossible.

The staff were pleasant and cheerful enough but made us feel extremely rushed. No sooner had we been seated and a menu sheet placed in our hands than another waiter arrived to take drinks orders, hotly followed by one asking if we were ready to order yet followed yet again by another one asking if we'd like to order drinks. This pattern continued throughout the meal until we my partner put his foot down and refused to be harried into us rushing courses or in making choices.

The food itself was beautifully presented however at only 8.15pm they had arleady run out of my starter of choice. My main course - a pasta with crab tagliatelli with chilli dish was nice but completely missing any taste or heat from the chilli which was very disappointing.
The deserts however were superbly presented and did taste as good as they looked.

Overall a lovely setting serving some very nice food only let down by over zealous staff (until we'd eated all of our courses - then you couldnt attract any waiting staff's attention for love nor money). We may have just been unlucky and chose to dine here on an exceptionally busy night - i do hope so.

We would love to dine here again - if and when these few niggles had been ironed out.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank WideEyedLover
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for the review.

Yes, since the Christmas period started we have been somewhat inundated with guests, which is lovely to see but noise levels have risen noticeably.

We will have a word with the staff and encourage them not to rush people TOO much, but inevitably when we are busy it is delays that we are normally worried about. We must try to strike the right balance. And to keep looking after you right to the end of the meal.

I will also check the crab dish straightaway. A big seller for us so it's vital it's spot on!

John Hoskins, owner

Reviewed November 14, 2012

my childhood! Keep reading! Having spent most of my childhood in Cambridgeshire I was aware of the Old Bridge but I have more money as an adult so didn't experience it until long after I moved away! We recently stayed at The Old Bridge for only one night having arranged to have dinner there with friends and family to celebrate 50th birthday. I was disappointed not to be staying longer. Hotel staff are very pleasant and Room 10 is fabulous - animal theme but check the bathroom - huge, fabulous!

Food in the bar was good, really good quality sandwiches. We had booked dinner in the restaurant and again food was good and the restaurant busy! There was a wedding in the hotel but did not detract at all from dining in the restaurant - or staying. The restaurant seems to have a different style to the rest of the hotel and would almost prefer it to be more traditional in keeping with the rest of the hotel but I think its intended to have more of a conservatory feel. That said, as mentioned food good. Not cheap but thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Hotel also has a fabulous wine shop! Go on, stay!

Room Tip: Room 10 has HUGE bathroom, good sized room too
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My stay at The Old Bridge started with dinner in the restaurant which was outstanding, both food and service were a very high level. Very personable staff make this hotel so great. Accomodation is of a high standard. I stayed in a large double room, which was large, with a large comfy sofa as ll as a really comfy bed, excellent pillows (which make all the difference to a great night sleep) and was very clean and presentable. I will be staying again.

Room Tip: Room 31 is a great room
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed in room 20 in early November 2012. Had a view of the river (but only from afar). Room had all we needed including tea making facilities. Very comfy bed, Quality TV, DVD and ipod dock.Not a huge room - but all we needed. Lots of sockets. Lots of cupboard space. On the bad side - lots of stairs!!! Staff all very nice. Food excellent. Bar expensive but a good choice. All in all a nice stay and we would go again and we would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had been looking for somewhere special in the Cambridge area to celebrate my partners birthday and having discounted Angel in Bury St Edmunds and Hotel Du Vin, we chose The Old Bridge as it looked to have something extra. From reviews, the others seemed a bit hit and miss. Not disappointed on any level with our choice. Went for one of the biggest rooms - no 7 - very comfortable four poster, biggest bathroom I have ever seen in my life - roll top bath big enough for two. Decor was fun if a little twee - Wind in the Willows theme but the room looks over the river from every window so made sense I guess and wasn't overbearing. Room was spotlessly clean and very cosy - blackout curtains, adjustable heating, sofa.

Didn't want to leave. So we didn't - ordered room service which could not have been more perfect. Helpful, polite staff on reception taking orders, very sweet young guy who had just started working bringing up food one course at a time and doing his best to make sure we were happy with everything. We borrowed DVD's from reception, ordered a reasonable (£17) and excellent bottle of wine from a list of hundreds and settled in. Lovely 3 course meal that was included with our Sunday Bed, Dinner and Breakfast deal.

Other nice touches - free fresh baked scones with tea on arrival. A wine tasting card included in our deal - we walked off with 6 superb wines. Very knowledgable staff in wine shop on site who pointed us to brilliant bottles ranging from £5.50 up to £20. No pressure, no pretence, just friendly, helpful people making us feel like valuable customers.

Couldn't fault breakfast either - full monty with local produce.

Only slight downsides for me - the Terrace restaurant. This felt quite sterile and almost like a summer room in an Italian hotel or a function room. Very big, quite sparse with painted murals on the walls. Partly why we ordered room service but then I read you can eat in the bar or one of the snugs which we would have gone for if we'd realised. Just a small point but this room felt like it belonged in a different hotel somehow - not very intimate or romantic but that's just my opinion.

Also, the hotel is very close to the busy A14 flyover. It's a shame but the triple glazing in our room meant we didn't hear a thing. There is air con for summer months so guess it's not a massive issue. It didn't effect our stay in any way - we walked from hotel along river past water meadows and felt like we were miles from anywhere but if you're not expecting it you might be surprised to see cars flying past from some rooms.

Only real criticism - the hotel website. It's a bit rubbish and doesn't show off the hotel or reflect the quality of the place. Hard to navigate but look beyond this. It's the best hotel experience we've had in a long, long time.

Room Tip: Room 7 was great. Looks over river. Quiet. Massive bathroom with huge rolltop bath.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fenboy
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thanks very much for the very positive feedback. We are obviously delighted you had such a good time with us. And just to say that the website has just been completely re-done in the last couple of weeks so I hope that helps for the future.
John Hoskins

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Staff were friendly upon arrival and I was shown promptly to my room (room 3). The room was small but decorated tastefully with the bathroom equiped with a 'fluffy robe'. The bar area was cosy with a burning open fire complimenting the welcoming sofa's. The food was first class and well presented in the evening with the same care and attention made to breakfast. Check out was prompt. I would imagine that in the summer the location overlooking the River Ouse would be great and at Christmas the lovely open fires would add to the festive feel. One negative is that a number of 'off duty' staff were drinking at the bar and were openly discussing their salaries and failings of the hotel in their opinion. It did not however detract from an enjoyable stay. It is the closest any hotel has come to that of the George at Stamford.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We booked in for my birthday in June ,both had steak ,,well under done and all grissle, theyd put pepper sauce over it I think to hide it, twice I complained and my partner, they were rude , they gave another steak, but was just the same ,crap birthday, so then we booked xmas dinner which was very rushed ,the turkey was thin n chewy, only two veg, of which the Brussels must of bin pre cooked. And warmed up, as were the few roast potatoes, appalling food, ,worst dinner ive eaten, we got half our money back , but was treated like we were stupid ,the dolphine hotel has the best food ,far better service , ,this not to ruen the bridge ,ive lived up the rd for 30yrs and have been drinking there for a while, bar staff are great ,waitress,s we no well, but also say lady in charge is nasty to them,,scones on a sun lovely tho, ive stayed in top hotels in London ,so I no my food, think bridge need new cook, n manager,sorted, and glasses for the other 120 ;reviews,,the best meal if you are there is the cock inn ,small pub ,best food ,just got top award, hemingford grey ,try it, fantastic,

• Stayed: December 2011
6  Thank martinharness
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The George Hotel
#6 of 9 in Huntingdon
Quy Mill Hotel & Spa, Cambridge, BW Premier Collection
Holiday Inn Huntingdon Racecourse

Been to The Old Bridge? Share your experiences!