I visited The Old Bridge with my partner for a romantic celebratory meal. The setting is superb - the entrance to the hotel being lit by a pathway lined with twinkling Christmas Trees.
On entering the restuarant we were greeted and shown to a table at the far end of the restuarant almost in a little offshoot which i found somewhat dissapointing at the time however in hindsight it was probably for the best as the main body of the restuarant soon filled up with some pretty noisy Christmas party goers. Even so the noise level were we were seated made polite conversation between the two of us nigh on impossible.
The staff were pleasant and cheerful enough but made us feel extremely rushed. No sooner had we been seated and a menu sheet placed in our hands than another waiter arrived to take drinks orders, hotly followed by one asking if we were ready to order yet followed yet again by another one asking if we'd like to order drinks. This pattern continued throughout the meal until we my partner put his foot down and refused to be harried into us rushing courses or in making choices.
The food itself was beautifully presented however at only 8.15pm they had arleady run out of my starter of choice. My main course - a pasta with crab tagliatelli with chilli dish was nice but completely missing any taste or heat from the chilli which was very disappointing.
The deserts however were superbly presented and did taste as good as they looked.
Overall a lovely setting serving some very nice food only let down by over zealous staff (until we'd eated all of our courses - then you couldnt attract any waiting staff's attention for love nor money). We may have just been unlucky and chose to dine here on an exceptionally busy night - i do hope so.
We would love to dine here again - if and when these few niggles had been ironed out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A handsome, ivy-clad 18th century building, once a private bank, overlooking the River Ouse and yet right on the edge of the town centre. Its atmosphere balances that of a boutique townhouse hotel and a bustling, relaxed, traditional inn. 24 beautiful air-conditioned bedrooms with luxurious bathrooms. Fine but informal restaurant, twice winner of AA award for best wine list in the UK. Also wine shop with 'enomatic' tasting machines, bar with real ales, and free wifi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your The Old Bridge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Old Bridge Hotel Huntingdon
- Old Bridge Huntingdon
- Old Bridge Hotel Huntingdon