All reviews wine shop scones wine list cream tea terrace restaurant huge bathroom by the glass four poster roll top bath included afternoon tea open fire ring road fresh milk special occasion bar area sunday lunch lovely hotel
Reviewed November 14, 2012

my childhood! Keep reading! Having spent most of my childhood in Cambridgeshire I was aware of the Old Bridge but I have more money as an adult so didn't experience it until long after I moved away! We recently stayed at The Old Bridge for only one night having arranged to have dinner there with friends and family to celebrate 50th birthday. I was disappointed not to be staying longer. Hotel staff are very pleasant and Room 10 is fabulous - animal theme but check the bathroom - huge, fabulous!

Food in the bar was good, really good quality sandwiches. We had booked dinner in the restaurant and again food was good and the restaurant busy! There was a wedding in the hotel but did not detract at all from dining in the restaurant - or staying. The restaurant seems to have a different style to the rest of the hotel and would almost prefer it to be more traditional in keeping with the rest of the hotel but I think its intended to have more of a conservatory feel. That said, as mentioned food good. Not cheap but thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Hotel also has a fabulous wine shop! Go on, stay!

Room tip: Room 10 has HUGE bathroom, good sized room too
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My stay at The Old Bridge started with dinner in the restaurant which was outstanding, both food and service were a very high level. Very personable staff make this hotel so great. Accomodation is of a high standard. I stayed in a large double room, which was large, with a large comfy sofa as ll as a really comfy bed, excellent pillows (which make all the difference to a great night sleep) and was very clean and presentable. I will be staying again.

Room tip: Room 31 is a great room
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed in room 20 in early November 2012. Had a view of the river (but only from afar). Room had all we needed including tea making facilities. Very comfy bed, Quality TV, DVD and ipod dock.Not a huge room - but all we needed. Lots of sockets. Lots of cupboard space. On the bad side - lots of stairs!!! Staff all very nice. Food excellent. Bar expensive but a good choice. All in all a nice stay and we would go again and we would recommend.

Date of stay: November 2012
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Had been looking for somewhere special in the Cambridge area to celebrate my partners birthday and having discounted Angel in Bury St Edmunds and Hotel Du Vin, we chose The Old Bridge as it looked to have something extra. From reviews, the others seemed a bit hit and miss. Not disappointed on any level with our choice. Went for one of the biggest rooms - no 7 - very comfortable four poster, biggest bathroom I have ever seen in my life - roll top bath big enough for two. Decor was fun if a little twee - Wind in the Willows theme but the room looks over the river from every window so made sense I guess and wasn't overbearing. Room was spotlessly clean and very cosy - blackout curtains, adjustable heating, sofa.

Didn't want to leave. So we didn't - ordered room service which could not have been more perfect. Helpful, polite staff on reception taking orders, very sweet young guy who had just started working bringing up food one course at a time and doing his best to make sure we were happy with everything. We borrowed DVD's from reception, ordered a reasonable (£17) and excellent bottle of wine from a list of hundreds and settled in. Lovely 3 course meal that was included with our Sunday Bed, Dinner and Breakfast deal.

Other nice touches - free fresh baked scones with tea on arrival. A wine tasting card included in our deal - we walked off with 6 superb wines. Very knowledgable staff in wine shop on site who pointed us to brilliant bottles ranging from £5.50 up to £20. No pressure, no pretence, just friendly, helpful people making us feel like valuable customers.

Couldn't fault breakfast either - full monty with local produce.

Only slight downsides for me - the Terrace restaurant. This felt quite sterile and almost like a summer room in an Italian hotel or a function room. Very big, quite sparse with painted murals on the walls. Partly why we ordered room service but then I read you can eat in the bar or one of the snugs which we would have gone for if we'd realised. Just a small point but this room felt like it belonged in a different hotel somehow - not very intimate or romantic but that's just my opinion.

Also, the hotel is very close to the busy A14 flyover. It's a shame but the triple glazing in our room meant we didn't hear a thing. There is air con for summer months so guess it's not a massive issue. It didn't effect our stay in any way - we walked from hotel along river past water meadows and felt like we were miles from anywhere but if you're not expecting it you might be surprised to see cars flying past from some rooms.

Only real criticism - the hotel website. It's a bit rubbish and doesn't show off the hotel or reflect the quality of the place. Hard to navigate but look beyond this. It's the best hotel experience we've had in a long, long time.

Room tip: Room 7 was great. Looks over river. Quiet. Massive bathroom with huge rolltop bath.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank fenboy
OBWS, Owner at The Old Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Thanks very much for the very positive feedback. We are obviously delighted you had such a good time with us. And just to say that the website has just been completely re-done in the last couple of weeks so I hope that helps for the future.
John Hoskins

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Staff were friendly upon arrival and I was shown promptly to my room (room 3). The room was small but decorated tastefully with the bathroom equiped with a 'fluffy robe'. The bar area was cosy with a burning open fire complimenting the welcoming sofa's. The food was first class and well presented in the evening with the same care and attention made to breakfast. Check out was prompt. I would imagine that in the summer the location overlooking the River Ouse would be great and at Christmas the lovely open fires would add to the festive feel. One negative is that a number of 'off duty' staff were drinking at the bar and were openly discussing their salaries and failings of the hotel in their opinion. It did not however detract from an enjoyable stay. It is the closest any hotel has come to that of the George at Stamford.