“Wonderful discovery”

Ranked #17 of 20 Huntingdon B&B and Inns
Cambridge
“Wonderful discovery”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We were attending a wedding on Saturday, a friend recommended Braywood House as she had stayed there before. Arriving was a nice surprise as you turn off the road beside a tall hedge, suddenly there is a beautiful house in front of you. You would never know it was there. We were greeted by the Auberon who we later found out owns the hotel with his wife Suzi who helped us out as the taxi we had ordered had failed to arrive. They were both friendly ,efficient and helpful. The Hotel had a lovely fresh feeling and was very clean. Our room and especially the bed was very comfortable. We both agreed that if we could think of a good excuse to stay somewhere so near home that we would come back and stay again.

Room Tip: They all looked good
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Imogen A C

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Chippenham
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here one night. On the plus side it is clean. This is not a hotel for you if you want to book online - basically they're not properly connected into the online system that they subscribe to. They didnt know who I was when I turned up. They didnt have a room for me, but to be fair they did move others around to make space. There is a train line right past the window and the room did smell a bit musty. Also not really any decent windows to speak of in the room.

However the worst thing was, as she walked out of the room her leaving comment was, "breakfast is continental" whilst pointing to a fridge in the corner. Before booking this I filtered the listing for hotels with breakfast included. It's not fair on other hotels they are competing against who one assumes will all cook you a decent breakfast. Not only that but what's the use of half a loaf of white bread if they dont provide butter? - is it me? It was £82 and I honestly couldnt recommend it. - Rich

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank RichSlapHead
Auberon H, Owner at Braywood House, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
We have apologised sincerely to the guest leaving this review and offered a full refund of his money and thanked him for his helpful comments. We also recall how kind and gracious he was when he arrived and we thank him very much for this too, it was greatly appreciated. For interest, the room the guest stayed in was also reviewed in the review of 2 June below this one. We would like to reassure potential guests that the internet booking problem has been resolved and internet booking should function perfectly now. Having said this, from my own experiences it can be a good idea to call ahead to ensure a booking is in place and not cyberspace as occasionally things do go amiss, not just here! We will be vigilant in airing the rooms (musty smell) and check lists are now always used to ensure no item is omitted (butter) from the breakfast box. Continental breakfast in the room includes two types of fresh fruit, milk, Alpen, Weetabix, bread for toasting or sandwiches, cheese, butter, cake, orange juice, yoghurt and fresh coffee bags. It is a generous quantity and many guests are able to use the items for their packed lunch as well as breakfast. We provide this service rather than the cooked option taken in the dining room so that guests may enjoy their breakfast in the privacy of their own room, at the time they would like to have it and not having to be seated with others at breakfast when they may not feel like making conversation etc. We felt the guests preferred the healthier options as less and less guests were taking up the traditional English Breakfast we previously offered and preferred the privacy and flexibility of the continental breakfast in the room, these advantages generally outweighed the Full English option, so we made the change and installed silent mini fridges, chairs and tables in the rooms and toasters/bunwarmers. It has been a great success especially with guests wishing to leave very early in the morning or those who like to have breakfast in bed or in their pyjamas watching TV! The price of the room is currently £60 single. Thank you.
London
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We had a lovely stay here this weekend. Suzi and Auberon were very friendly and welcoming, but also gave us our privacy. We stayed in the New England suite, which is perfect if you have children as the two rooms adjoin with a nice shower room in the middle so that the children were right nearby, but we were able to put them to bed in their room and have some time to ourselves. A lovely breakfast was left in a coolbox for us in the morning: croissants, laughing cow cheese, apples and bananas, flapjacks, yoghurts, jams, butter, cereals and milk. We were not rushed out in the morning so we could eat leisurely. There were also tea and coffee facilities, a huge supply of coffee, tea, hot chocolate snd delicious cookies. The room was very nice, clean and comfortable with clean and pressed bedclothes and towels. I felt that a lot of thought had gone into making it nice and would like to say thank you to Suzi and Auberon

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank LynneFLondon
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I recently had been transfered to England for 3 months and had the great pleasure of staying at the Braywood house for whole stay. Firstly the hosts Aub and Suzi were amazing, catering to my needs and good for a friendly chat, they definately made being away from my family for 3 months a whole lot easier. Both of them cooked a great breakfast in the morning, I tended to go for the full English which I enjoyed.

The room (The Governors Quarters) was excellent. A nice comfy bed, large TV and shower with good water pressure.

If and when I get back to the UK I will definately be returning to Braywood House.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Doug N
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Having read the reviews of the Braywood House on Trip Advisor I booked for two nights last weekend. We booked through Expedia. Our booking was for a king size bed with full breakfast. When we arrived we were shown to our accommodation by the owner Suzi. We were in the New England which consists of three rooms; a bedroom, ensuite shower room and dining room/lounge. We were offered tea on arrival and made welcome but that was the last time we saw Suzi. Our rooms were very clean but the bed was not king size.

The really big disappointment was breakfast. Despite our booking being for a full breakfast we were told that breakfast was in the cool box in the dining room. On Saturday morning breakfast was 2 small rolls with jam, some cheese spreads, a single piece of cheddar and some grapes but no fruit juice. There was also a tub of instant porridge and a small box of chocolate shreddies but the milk was now warm and the choice of cereal not appetising so we didn't bother. We went to the local Sainburys and bought breakfast instead.

On Sunday there was more in the cool box and we did get fruit juice but we had no cups in our room so couldn't even make a cup if coffee. My overall impression was a b&b run with minimal effort and interaction and I wouldn't use this one again or recommend it to a friend

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fife-Runner
Auberon H, Owner at Braywood House, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Hello McGuinnesses, I've just read the review for your stay and I'm extremely sorry you were disappointed. I appreciate how precious weekends away are and that you were not happy here is rotten. If you send me your address I will send some compensation. I am sincerely sorry about the items forgotten and that the milk was not chilled. This is useful feedback and we will ensure this does not happen in future. We have just downsized the business to make it more viable and I had not realised you were expecting a cooked breakfast. Thank you for pointing out the bedsize is wrong on the website.

I am very sorry that you could not or did not wish to contact me to ask for the missing items. The business may appear low maintenance but it's an illusion I promise you! Apologies for not being around more, it's a difficult balance to achieve with a lot of guests preferring privacy. Best wishes Suzi
belfast
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We were here to attend a family funeral and the hosts Suzi and Auberon were lovely and friendly and very sympathetic people. Our room was on the ground floor with twin beds (very comfortable) and had tea and coffee making facilities but unfortunately no drinking water in the kettle, i bought water and had a cup of tea next day my cup had been replaced with a dirty cracked cup, i had also used one of the glasses which disappeared the next day leaving us with only one. There is a shelf cupboard above the toilet which i was constantly banging my head on.
There are trains running past outside but i can honestly say they did not annoy me as i could only hear them if i was outside. There is a small tv in the room which had a very come and go signal which did affect our viewing.
All of the above are more than compensated by the lovely friendly hosts who always said your name every time they met you and took the time to talk to you. Would i recommend this B&B yes i would because you will get a lovely welcome, a cosy bed and a good breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank charleeBelfast
St Austell, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2012

A fantastic place to stay! Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts to make our stay a wonderful and pleasant time despite our not knowing the length of our stay in Huntingdon due to a relative in hospital. It made our visit much more stress free knowing that we only had to ring to extend our stay if circumstances changed and a bed would be readily available for us. What a relief when your are nine hours from home! We will certainly recommend Braywood House to family and friends and will definitely return next year when we have to visit Papworth hospital again. Thank you everyone!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family