“it does what it says on the tin..”

The Stukeleys Country Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Huntingdon
Biggar, United Kingdom
“it does what it says on the tin..”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Stayed again at The Stukeleys Country Hotel for 2 nights while attending a dog show. I have to say it did the job - we were just looking for a cheap place to stay for a few nights that accepted dogs, and it fitted the bill nicely.
The room was a family room, with a double bed and a single - beds were very old and not all that comfortable, but ok. The room itself was clean enough, as was the bathroom, although it was very dated looking. Plus point - the shower was excellent, very powerful and plenty of hot water. We had a meal on our first night - Sirloin Steak for my partner, and I opted for the Mixed Grill. Both were excellent - my partners steak was cooked medium rare as ordered, very tender and tasty. My mixed grill was very good - steak, lamb chop, sausage, gammon steak, egg, mushrooms, tomato, and chips. Breakfast both days was excellent - well cooked and tasty. yes the service was a bit slow but it was the one guy taking orders and doing the cooking. I have to say the service was very good - they are a bit understaffed, and it seems to be just a few people doing all jobs, but everyone we spoke to was very pleasant and helpful (even opening the restaurant early for us one morning as we had to be away sharpish). Yes it is a bit dated and shabby, but the staff are good, food is good, and lets face it you get what you pay for - in my opinion this is a good value hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
england
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This so called hotel is nothing of the sort. the staff and management are horrible and unwelcoming. The whole building is dirty and needs burning down and starting from the foundations up. The staff, including the manager are just rude and make you feel as though you are a burden to them, even though, I assume, they are actually paid to be there and to please and serve their guests??
Food is average to poor to say the least but the service and cleanliness means that I wouldnt even put my dog up here if it was kennels.

what looks nice on the outside is nothing compared to the dirtiness and unfriendliness on the inside and you are made to feel so so unwelcome here.

I wouldnt go here again if they paid me.

Sell up and let someone else who cares about their guests have a go as the location is good and this place could be so much more.

I wrote a letter to the manager a month ago and still have not had a response...........is this their usual level of customer service?? one would assume so.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank pay2009

Travelers are raving about these Huntingdon hotels

Peterborough
Reviewed February 13, 2012

This is a pretty village pub in a nice quiet location. We were greeted and seated swiftly on arrival. Waitress remained attentive throughout our meal. Large and comprehensive menu and it arrived quickly.
Food was tasty and well presented with ample portions.
£38 for three of us for lunch with only soda water to drink is on the pricey side and glad I was on expenses!
I would take customers back here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Pakefield
Reviewed December 20, 2011

The room was big and had loads of character in the hotel and rooms. The Food was at the top end of Pub food. If you stay in the rooms above the bar there maybe some back ground noise but it will all go quit by 10:30.

• Stayed December 2011
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights during a festival nearby - and had to keep saying to ourselves "its better than camping in a field" to make our stay bearable.

Pros
- Location to festival
- Friendly staff
- Breakfast

Cons
- The whole place may be clean but looks dirty, needs new carpets and a lick of paint
- Extremely thin walls and ceilings, you can hear the room above rolling in their bed and the people below chatting in the bar. The room doors also slam which echoes through the building.
- The mattress was horrible!
- The toilet had been cleaned but in the hinges area was very dirty.
- Curtains may has well not been there, I think they may have even amplified the light!

All in all disappointed with our stay and would not recommend or come back - as much as I hate to say this as I like supporting local businesses we will be finding a travel lodge or similar next time.

Room Tip: I cant remember which room we stayed in but I guess the top floor would be the best.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Pretty frontage, all pink and surrounded by flowers. Friendly atmosphere, staff very helpful. Stayed in a lovely room at the top of the hotel, horse-riders trotted by the window in the evening, added to the country village experience. Had a meal in the bar, competently served and well presented.
I left something behind and the helpfulness and considerateness of Elaine, who I spoke to, and the effort they put into reuniting me with my possessions was fantastic. Thanks, I will definitely stay with you again.

Room Tip: Good for local stay, friendly staff, pretty hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank truesuestory
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntingdon
Huntingdon Marriott Hotel
#3 of 4 in St Ives
The Lion Hotel
The Lion Hotel
#1 of 2 in Buckden

Been to The Stukeleys Country Hotel? Share your experiences!