“what a breath of fresh air”
Review of The Supper Club

The Supper Club
Ranked #4 of 120 Restaurants in Newry
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a small, locally owned, European-style bistro, located in the heart of Newry City. With our B.Y.O. alcohol policy and rock music on the stereo, our aim is to provide you with great food in a casual, relaxed environment. Whenever possible, we use local suppliers and locally grown/raised food. Head Chef Aidan Markey prides himself on writing a different evening menu each week so regular customers can try something new on each visit. We also have breakfast, lunch, and casual dining menus available that are updated seasonally for those who know what they like and want to stick with it.
Newry, United Kingdom
“what a breath of fresh air”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Excellent food, quirky atmosphere, very reasonable......recently had a brilliant night out here with friends, food was brilliant, staff were engaging and had the feeling this place can only get better.

• Visited January 2014

Newry, United Kingdom
“Great food, excellent value and pleasant staff. What more could you want.”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had heard good things about The Sugar Supper Club and thought we (3 of us) would visit it for a meal last Saturday evening. Glad we did. A lovely experience. The young waitress's were extremely pleasant, the 'ambience' was relaxing, the background music was subtle, and the food was just right.
I'm not a food connoisseur by any means, but I know when a meal it nice. I won't bore you by describing the meal course by course, suffice to say that what we got was excellent, not too much, not too little, and what we got was cooked and presented to perfection.
Congratulations to all involved from the chef to front of house. We have already recommended you and will be back.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Lastroseofsummer47
Newry, United Kingdom
“Great quality food at such a reasonable price.”
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

Was recommended this restaurant by a friend and was not disappointed. Food was simply presented but made up of good quality local ingredients. Service excellent and restaurant had a chilled relaxed atmosphere. Will definitely be recommending to others.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank wineandcheesefan90
“Really worthwhile and devine desserts”
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

We drove by just at lunch time, we thought, great this new French place is open. A drive around the block, park and in. It's midday, guests are already seated. Great sign. Friendly greeting from one of the two chefs, with an invitation to sit as we pleased. Well these guys know their stuff from previous places. It's bring your own booze too. We'd heard high praise for the food like pork belly and near demented praise for desserts. This is a new venture from an old illicit South America model called a Sugar Supper Club. So I give the business idea later but frankly my interest is in the food. My home town has some seriously great food places so competition for our money is fierce. Here ten pounds gets a main, beverage and dessert. My main: poached & smoked salmon, new potatoes, soft boiled eggs, broad beans and a generous salad with a zingy lemon dressing. It was fabulous. Everything perfect and balanced, the soft egg was just so, the fish moreish, the dressing exceptional (see photo). My wife had a generously filled hot chicken & fat trimmed off bacon sandwich called a 'bolcan' its their idea to have fillings 'baked' inside their own sourdough bread; choices include chicken & bacon with onion and fab fresh wilted red chilli (wow), lamb with beetroot jam and other tasty morsels, a pulled pork and a beef choice all with chips and salad. But I lost interest in reading the minutiae of the tasty morsels in the bolcans. I sat back to enjoy a very good latte, which was one of the drinks included in the ten pounds. We were in safe hands. Could bolcan put waist conscious eaters off, maybe litecan? My wife took diet coke in her deal - now I really object to those very many places who charge near £2 for a 190ml of diet coke; at least here its 330ml so anyone palming you off with 190ml bottles of this cheap artificially flavoured fizzy stuff, refuse it as you are being well ripped off, the customer ain't being put first by them. At that price it's £7.50 for an equivalent amount of a wine bottle's worth. Would you really pay £7.50 for a wine bottle measure of diet coke? Rant over. The bolcan (see photo) was fab. Properly baked mini loaves (not like most industrial baked bread) balanced taste, hint of chilli and no soggy bottom! We had a warm chocolate cake with choccy sauce and creme brûlée with shortcake, both generous portions. The choccy cake seemed frozen on the outside, gloppy warm inside and devine, I mean as good as it gets. The brûlée was great, but my personal taste would be to have it richer to make it truly devine. I saw that a lot of the vanilla pod seeds had sunk to the bottom of the dish. I don't know why, didn't spoil it, just an observation. So this place is a serious challenge to competitors with bloody great food, desserts and prices all simply exceptional. Service friendly and efficient, roomy, comfortable seating with tables at the right height. Will go back in a heartbeat. This is a crowd funded business when the banks don’t want you. With bank lending no longer an option for a lot of start ups, and small businesses being too high risk for investors, this is an alternative method of funding to give businesses a better chance of success by not paying bankers bonuses and by giving them the support of the local community before they open. So projects are supported by private contributions in return for an opportunity to advance purchase the services or products that the business is raising funds to start. Seems to be working here!

3 Thank Newryone