“Best Italian Restaurant in Newry.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Eataly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
armagh,ireland
“Best Italian Restaurant in Newry.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Full of charm and a great atmosphere ,each time I visit ,I never leave disappointed.The food is always of a high standard and the management is great.A truly wonderful little gem.I would have no problem in recommending this restaurant .

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

“Great tasting, value for money.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

Coors on tap and beautiful cheap pizzas make this one of the nicest spots to eat out in the Newry area.

You can even take away the pizza and at only £6 for a 12inch, it offers excellent value for money. Can't wait to visit it again soon :)

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank Chr15y
Newry
“Too many shortcuts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

The previous restaurant RED on this site closed recently and Eataly has taken over. We gave it a try as a couple on a Friday night, although it seems well suited to families too.

The layout of the restaurant has been inherited from RED and the rectangular bar leaves me wondering if I am in a bar or a restaurant. This is not made any better when it is the hub for service staff and desserts - so close to diners :-(

I was willing to overlook a few rough edges with service and atmosphere considering it opened only recently, but I can't overlook the food. For starters we had mussels in spicy tomato sauce and cheese & tomato bruschetta. For our mains we had cannelloni and a chicken pasta dish.
The cannelloni was particularly disappointing and my face dropped at the sight of it. It looked dried up / reheated, it was sized as a starter with no side and with no white/bechamel sauce?
The menu was overladen with tomato sauce dishes - almost every dish. There was a lack of alternatives, even a simple carbonara would have allowed a little variation. The herbs used were all dried - surely some fresh herbs wouldn't break the bank. Too many shortcuts!

I would love to see a decent Italian restaurant in Newry and I'm hoping that Eataly can address the shortcomings. I'd consider going back if the reviews of the food improve.

• Visited October 2013