“Surprise”

Ranked #18 of 127 Restaurants in Newry
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Situated in Kilcoo, in the Mourne Mountains this location has it all. From the serenity of the beautiful Mountains and countryside, we are on the main Newry to Downpatrick Road, easily accessible by Newcastle, Castlewellan, Newry & Rathfriland. Greenans Bar & Steakhouse is a family restaurant and cater for all those special occassions, with childrens play area. For those just wanting a quiet drink there is a choice of Traditional Bar, Modern Lounge with pool table, relaxing Sun Lounge or the Beer Garden. Coach parties can be catered for by prior arrangement with ample parking and outdoor seating.
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have now eaten in this restaurant four times and It is a lovely place to eat after driving/walking in the Mournes. The restaurant is between Castlewellan and Kilkoo and is easy to drive past. Don't! The food is good, well cooked and there is a reasonable menu. The staff are friendly and efficient. I went as I had a Groupon voucher and have returned for the food. Sizzlers are lovely, the burgers not as good but still ok. Prices are reasonable. Well worth a visit. I noticed rharkin2 got too many veg. I love veg so am very happy! You will not leave here hungry.

3  Thank donalddj

Reviewed June 4, 2013

My partner and I went to Greenans on Sat 1st June after buying a groupon voucher for £20 which included two sizzlers dishes with a sauce & a rice/potato dish and two desserts. Upon arrival we wer greeted by a very helpful waittress who took our names , drink order and we wer asked to wait in the lounge while waiting on our table to be ready , which was lovely to just sit and enjoy our drinks beforehand, made us feel so at ease! Myself and my partner both opted for the sizzlers special (prawns & strips of chicken and beef) I got mine with the hot and spicy sauce, he got his in creamy garlic and we both got garlic saute potatos , all was delish! only thing was we don't like vegetables and if we wer to go again would would ask it with out , becuase there was a lot of veg (if your the same take this tip). My partner then got the chocolate fudge cake and i opted for the cheesecake which was both lovely.. and a bargin for £20! We also decided to get a starter which was a combination of chicken wings, garlic bread and breaded mushrooms, we both had an alcoholic drink and I got a mocha with my dessert, so all we had to pay to it was £13 that night got the starter and drinks! We ran into one hic up wen my partner was served the wrong drink although this was quickly rectified :) I really enjoyed this meal, service was prompt and friendly.. i would most definitely return! (just wish we lived closer ;)

2  Thank rharkin2
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Went to Greenans 11th May 2013 after buying a groupon voucher for £20 to include two sizzler dishes with sauce & side and two desserts. Myself and my husband opted for the sizzling special (prawns & strips of chicken & beef), mine was cooked in pepper sauce, my husband in teriyaki accompanied by garlic sauté potatoes . Food was piping hot and absolutely gorgeous. For afters I had apple crumble and custard and my husband had mint aero cheesecake. Our dessert was gorgeous, I especially enjoyed the apple crumble. The staff were very pleasant and attentive. What a bargain! Definitely worth the money, we will return.

2  Thank AJKelly8
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Having passed Greenan's many times over a number of years, we had never ventured in until I spied good Tripadvisor reviews. It's local so we decided to give it a try. The favourable reviews seem quite justified - with really flavoursome steak followed by a light apple crumble which really hit the spot. They have a good value early bird steak meal for 2 with a bottle of house wine - which seems to be excellent value. Staff were friendly and efficient - even while the Chef was celebrating a new arrival. Congratulations Chef !
Decor and arrangement is simple and unpretentious - clean as a whistle.
We intend to re-visit soon.

2  Thank RostrevorNI
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We were in the restaurant last weekend, we were greeted by friendly staff. The atmosphere in Greenans was lovely and the food was to match. Great value for money and was a very clean pub.

2  Thank Madchefpaddy