“A first class hotel , however !!!”

Canal Court Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newry
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A first class hotel , however !!!”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

This property is very nice indeed with its traditional features integrating with the up to date modern facilities. I spent two nights here on business and enjoyed most of it.
I dinned in the charter bar on my first night and I have never seen so many smartly dressed waiters (one waitress) all in the one bar/restaurant at the one time, unfortunately neither have I seen so many waiting staff carry on, giggle loudly, fool around and ignore customers who needed to order, ask questions about the food, have plates cleared away etc etc, the waitress spent her time at the till whilst each male water flirted with her one at at time. It would seem if you are seated in a side room you are forgotten about, no one seemed in charge, no leadership.
The food was hot, fresh and plentiful and very reasonably priced, just a pity.
The next night I had dinner in the Old Mill and very nice it was too, the food again was hot, fresh and plentiful if a bit more expensive, it is a more formal experience.
The breakfast both mornings was spot on in every way.
The rooms are large, modern and very clean.
I most likely will be back

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank jimbo367
JanetBagnall, Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Jim,

I appreciate you taking the time to review a recent visit to the Hotel & am sincerely sorry that the service was not up to standard within the Granary Bar. I am currently investigating the issues raised with the Barsnacks Supervisor & also waiting staff.
We do place great emphasis on providing excellent, high quality food and strive to provide exceptional service so I am extremely sorry you did not experience this. I do hope that we can welcome you back to the Canal Court Hotel in the near future to experience our true standard of food & service.

johare@canalcourthotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a charity bike ride on way to Dublin. Hotel is in the centre of the town. Hotel is lovely and the rooms big. All very clean. The staff were excellent throughout. Good spa and gym. Did not try treatments as it was booked up.Had proper silver service in the restaurant and the was very good . Would recommend

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Zoe G
Dear Zoe,
Many thanks for your review and I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us. It is our aim to try and recreate a "home away from home", a place to relax & enjoy your time. I am glad we were able to provide you with a relaxing stay and we look forward to your return.
If I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime,
Kindest Regards
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 6, 2014

We had run out of time after coming across on the ferry from Scotland, heading for Tipperary. Accommodation was booked out at several towns along the way before we got to Newry. We didn't know what to expect but it turned out really well. Very competent staff, good size rooms and an excellent breakfast. Couldn't have asked for more for our quick one night stopover.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank fxoc
Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay & we appreciate very much your kind comments. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and if I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime,
Regards
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

This was our second girlie weekend to the canal court hotel we love it so much. Staff are wonderful and friendly they can't do enough to help you. Rooms are very clean and beds comfortable and the food is Fabulous no complaints there.

I was also there a few weeks ago with my hub too we had a wonderful time was just disappointed that the jacuzzi bath didn't work as we booked the executive room specially for that. We did report it to staff who sent someone to sort it out but alas it still didn't work but that wouldn't stop me from going back to the hotel.

A great hotel for that yearly treat

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank dee M
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to write your review & I am delighted to hear you had an enjoyable stay. I apologise that you experienced problems with your jacuzzi bath, if you are returning to the Canal Court Hotel & Spa in the near future please contact myself directly & I will be more than happy to look after you.

Mrs Janet BAgnall
johare@canalcourthotel.com
Castleisland, Ireland
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Wasn't expecting kind of premier inn standard but this place is much better than that. Not somewhere we would normally choose but had to do a speeding awareness course and was on hols locally so stayed here and did it. Kind of old fashioned in style patterned carpets and heavy furniture but great rooms. Large and clean with great showers. Only niggle was tiny tv for size of room. What really made this hotel was staff who were plentiful and incredibly helpful. Parking could be touch and go as on site car park gets full. On site granary pub style restaurant seemed very popular with locals, great service, cheap and best chips I've had for a long time. Close to shops and revamped canal walk. On site pool spa etc but didn't get time to use. Would definitely stay again. Shame it's not dog friendly at all

Room Tip: High floor gives a view over Newry
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Legolander706
Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay & we appreciate very much your kind comments and detailed review. We do aim to provide a relaxing & comfortable "home away from home" for guests and It is nice to learn you enjoyed the various aspects of your stay.

Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

There Sunday Lunch Is Fantastic Staff are very Helpfull and Friendly Love It Lots of People There on Sundays when we are there. That is all I can say because it is only to Sunday Lunch we go to. Meet lots of people that go every week they enjoy it that much we are going again on Sunday 8th June and again On Sunday 15th For Fathers Day

Room Tip: I have not stayed in it overnight but I know People who did and they said Rooms were very clean and...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Marym M
Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent visit & we appreciate very much your kind comments. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and if I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime,

Regards
Deputy General Manager
Flowery Branch, Georgia
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Very nice hotel and front desk staff are so helpful. Again we arrived early and staff immediately offered to hold our luggage while we met friends for lunch. Our room was great and we LOVED the shower. I believe it was a memory foam mattress...very comfortable! We enjoyed a drink before bed in the upstairs bar...very quiet place and very relaxing. Breakfast was quite nice and included in the price. This hotel is located in the heart of town so you can walk about to enjoy the sights. My only complaint would be the parking. The lot is just outside the door but parking is limited. Since we arrived late morning, the lot was busy with other people parking, not just hotel guests. We did find a spot but it took a bit of time. Lot seems to empty later in the day.

Room Tip: #301 looks out on canal at front of hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mommaw1966
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your review & I appreciate the kind comments regarding your stay. I apologise that you experienced difficulties with Parking & whilst we do not always have car park attendants on duty we do have restrictions in place to try & ensure that car parking is available only for residents & hotel diners. If you are staying with us in the future & you ever experience any difficulties with parking please speak with Reception who will be happy to park your car for you as soon as a space can be located within our carpark, which is locked during the night to ensure safety of guest vehicles.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Canal Court Hotel in the near future.

Deputy GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Carrickdale Hotel
#5 of 8 in Dundalk
The Whistledown Hotel
The Whistledown Hotel
#1 of 3 in Warrenpoint

Been to Canal Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!