“It's a matter of taste”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Newry
Dublin
“It's a matter of taste”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

I have stayed at the Canal Court Hotel for one night on the business trip. There is nothing wrong with the hotel as such but it's just too shabby and old for my taste.

The good thing is that it is centrally located and the rooms are big. Also the staff is very nice, attentive and helpful.

The wi-fi signal in the room wasn't perfect after it finally started working (it took three people and couple of hours to have it sorted, but the staff was genuinely trying to help). There was a wired internet cable on the desk to connect your laptop but I didn't have one with me as I was working on the iPad and my phone, so only wi-fi was useful. Great wi-fi signal in the bar downstairs though.

I didn't like the decor at all and the bathroom (especially bathtub) could have been cleaner

Well equipped gym is a big plus. There is also a pool but I haven't used it so I can't comment on it

Also, nothing special about the breakfast

Still, I guess it must be the best hotel in Newry town

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
JanetBagnall, Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time in reviewing your stay. It is our aim to try and recreate a "home away from home", a place to relax & enjoy your time. I am disappointed to read that you found the hotel shabby, perhaps the Hotels old world decor is not to your particular taste.
Wifi is complimentary throughout the public areas of the hotel, also wired and wireless connection is available within the bedrooms for guests. I apologise that you experienced problems with the connection and our maintenance team are addressing the matter in regards to the connection problems that you experienced.

With regard to Breakfast, we offer a freshly cooked Breakfast, made to order ranging from the traditional irish breakfast to Smoked Haddock, Kippers or a variety of Omelete types. In addition to this we have a wide selection of items available at our continental breakfast buffet area. This includes; Fresh Fruit, Yoghurts, Fruit Juices, Cereals, Croissants, Danish Pastries as well as a selection of ham & cheese. Previous tripadvisor guests would have drawn attention to the "plentiful, excellent" breakfast which they have enjoyed, and indeed this would be the general feedback we would receive on a daily basis.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future & If myself or any of the team can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime on johare@canalcourthotel.com

Janet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Stayed here for a night with a hen party. It was part of a package deal, one night stay, 1 dinner and go-karting. Rang in advance to see if it was possible to check in at 2 o'clock, we were told that was fine. Arrived at 2 but left waiting in reception as the rooms where not ready. Eventually they told us that 2 out of the 8 rooms were ready so we thought everyone could drop their luggage in those 2 rooms and head off for some shopping while waiting for them to finish the other 6 rooms. We reached the first room and it was a mess, carpet wasn't hoovered, coffee granules had been spilt all over the dresser, toothpaste marks all over the bathroom work top, glasses in the bathroom had been previously used etc. went back down to reception to sort it out, no apology from sinead at reception, overall she was horrible to deal with, horrible attitude. Also she wanted to charge us extra because a handful of older women out of the group didn't want to go go-karting so went for a bite to eat instead, which didn't have any effect on our stay at the hotel, also they expected one of us to sleep on a fold up camping bed, would not recommend it to anyone

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank katieh151
JanetBagnall, Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Hotel and I am very sorry that you had a disappointing experience. I have investigated the matter with Sinead the receptionist that was looking after you on checkin and there was some confusion in regards to rates but had been rectified. In regards to checkin time - hotel checkin is at 3pm, however we will do our upmost to accommodate guests if the room is ready or free the night prior and check guests in early. Unfortunately a room from your group was checked in early that had not been serviced and I apologise for this. However all rooms from your group had received the keys to their bedrooms at 3pm. With the fold up bed, we had tried to contact you several times the week prior to your groups arrival to receive the rooming list. I have checked and there were originally three quad rooms and two twin rooms held, but my records show that once we received your rooming list a member of your party had dropped out. You would have been advised that this would have occurred a single supplement charge but to avoid this charge we could place a fold up bed into a twin room.
I do hope this recent experience will not deter you from revisiting and I would be delighted to discuss further with you the details of your visit if you could contact me on johare@canalcourthotel.com.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Visit the canal court regularly and the food is fantastic. Mary is so welcoming and the rest of the staff in the restaurant are extremely attentive. The Beef Stroganoff is the best I have ever tasted.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tobysmum140
JanetBagnall, Manager at Canal Court Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay & we appreciate very much your kind comments. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and if I can ever be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at anytime,

melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for our 30th wedding anniversary for two nights .the room we we given was wonderful and he beds and pillows supremely comfortable. The only down side to this hotel is they had a lot of loud music thumping away , I think in the nightclub part, till after midnight, then drunken revellers noisily leaving. This was for one night, but still not good enough. The hotel staff are second to none, as is manager, Mr Whelen, who looked after us so well.the food was gorgeous and we had a fabulous time

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am disappointed that some aspects of your stay were less than satisfactory & in particular the noise aspects of your room. I appreciate your kind comments in relation to the food, bedrooms & staff within the hotel but am extremely sorry that our night staff were unable to ensure you had a peaceful and relaxing stay. I would be extremely grateful if you could contact me on johare@canalcourthotel.com as I would like to fully investigate how this occurred.

Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We stayed for one night with our 4 children (aged 9 to 2), following a family party, which was also held in the hotel. The event staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the party. Our bedroom had a great layout for the six of us, with plenty of space. Our 2 year olds loved the slide into the little pool. The breakfast was delicious and service good even though the restaurant was very busy. Would recommend for any event and a comfortable, good value break.

Room Tip: Room 108 has a brilliant layout for families-2 bedrooms but just the one entrance so little ones can...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay & we appreciate very much your kind comments and detailed review. We do aim to provide a relaxing & comfortable "home away from home" for guests and It is nice to learn you enjoyed the various aspects of your stay.

cork ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Very convenient hotel right across from the bus station. Lots of seating area in reception and bar. Good leisure centre. Really good breakfast - hot food served to the table. Eat twice in the bar and thought it was very good. Very nice friendly staff. Would definitely recommend it to friends who are in that part of the country. We used it as a base to get to Belfast.

Room Tip: one room was on first floor and other room on 2nd - no noise problems
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

johare@canalcourthotel.com
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights on the week commencing 9th September. The hotel is reasonably clean and the staff are very friendly. The pool/jacuzzi/sauna are clean and accessible. The restaurant is of a great quality although very expensive! We did have a problem with the Wifi in the room. Signal was very poor and out of 2 phones, 2 laptops and an iPad we could only get poor signal on one of the laptops. We asked at reception several times for someone to look at it. On the 4th occasion someone visited the room with a phone to verify our tale and gave a purposefully distracting conversation conflating bandwidth with signal range amounting to "there's so much steel in the room it's hard to get a signal" we felt this is a big problem that the hotel should address when clearly offering free wifi in all rooms. Other than that this is a good hotel, and recommended for Newry.

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Carrickdale Hotel
#5 of 8 in Dundalk
Donard Hotel
Donard Hotel
#5 of 16 in Newcastle

Been to Canal Court Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!